Live from the first cruise in the Pandemic

Germancruiser

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Paper menus would be very costly.  1200 passengers x 3 meals a day=3600 menus add wine lists for lunch and  dinner maybe another 1200 menus.  Say 6 bars go through 500 menus each a day 3000.  Snack menus, room service menus conservatively another 1200.  That’s a lot of paper, printing equipment and ink plus trash everyday.  
Menus on a app are easily changed and much more cost effective.

"That’s a lot of paper, printing equipment and ink plus trash everyday." Yup: almost as much paper as we get from Park West.😜😜 😜😜  😜😜 

I am very much a "no phones at the table" person, but ordering this way really does make sense in our current world. I'd insist on the phones being put away after ordering, however.

I'll add my thanks to @Germancruiser for virtually taking us all on this cruise!

QR code and menus

Let me clarify how this works, since some of you seem to have the impression that you can order by smartphone... you can‘t.

What you do is you scan the code with your camera. A link appears on the screen which can be used to open a menu or drink list. So all you touch is your own phone.

The order is not placed online but with a waiter as always.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I wonder if paper disposable menus were considered? Our local restaurants here are using them. One and done. 

Something that would be frowned upon. Especially on a German cruise ship.

Although no cruise or cruise ship will ever be invironmentally friendly, the use of disposable items and paper is reduced to

a minimum  -  following general practice in Germany.

• Like 5

Hello all and again, thank you for your kind and encouraging words. We are now at day two sailing right now into the Oslo Fjord, approching Oslo and docking there for three hours.

Miaminice already answered the questions about the masks and the menus. You make your selection and order via the waiter as usual. 

The wearing of mask walking the ship inside is no problem at all- as soon as you take a seat it gets off.

Ones temprature is taken every day. I heard from a crew member they did that on the first voyage when you entered the restaurant - but that did no work out. So they set the Disco apart for that purpose. It is a very swift and quick procedere, you just stand in front of - well it is a tablet computer really your head gets into a frame and thats it. Oh by the way my temprature was 36,4 so I passed with flying colors. LOL.It took me but three minutes. Again the ships sails not even at half capacity.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

There are entertainers, singers and so such on board. It really is like any other voyage, the only difference is that you have to make a reservation for lectures or the theater and the like. 

Works also pretty well.

The atmosphere is a relaxed and safe one. I so enjoy this little „ blue voyage“, well weather like it is more a little „ grey voyage! 

I was asked about the Check in- well that was the most unconfortable part- but to be expected. The line went way out of the terminal and in parts without any covering whatsoever. The weather god was in a good mood , so the sun was not shining to harsh and allthough it was pretty overcast it did not rain. Otherwise, we would all have entered the ship soaked wet. LOL. 

I must say those blue voyages might not be for everyones taste. If you seek constant party and dancing- it is not for you. For me looking for a little time out and a little change of sceanery doing what I so love- it is perfect. Enjoying a big, almost new ship with only 1000 passengers instead of 3000 and only sea days. Perfect. 

As mentioned they dont allow you booking back to backs I would have done that. Well thats reasonable, they wont get rid of you after your time is up- so they do not end up with infected people.

The Questionare about the health issues was just like those we are all used to, insread of Noro it is about Covid 19 and ask where you have been, where you have come from and if you had contact with an infected person or persons. 

I overheard a talk next to me, they were talking about the former Mein Schiff 2- which used to be the Galaxy of X- they said it was their favorite ship of the fleet- the new name is Mein Schiff Herz  ( Yes I was evesdropping- LOL) 

Next I will tell a little about the food and the service. Thanks for now. 

Greetings

Michael Bayer

• Like 35

Thank-you so much Germancruiser for taking the time to share your experiences on this first cruise since the pandemic shutdown.

Like our fellow Cruise Critics members, we too are so looking forward to cruise again.

Your live report is a ray of hope and sunshine that keeps the dream alive. 

Thank-you once more for your feedback and enjoy your trip! 

• Like 3

Thank you @Germancruiser for taking the time to provide these reports - it is the closest thing right now to cruising itself!

The idea of a 3000-person ship with only 1000 people is incredible.  With all the stress,  pressure and worry that has come with covid-19,  I certainly would like to be safely cruising on the Ocean to relax.

I am curious about stateroom cleaining and turndown service - are the cabins being attended to the same way as before?   

How do others feel about crew entering the cabin daily from a health safety point of view?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Thanks for all the info!

Is this the second cruise for this ship? I thought it was a 3 day at last weekend or is it longer?

Yes, the first was on 24 July.

Aida Cruises (Carnival) were also planning to sail but postponed the first sailing to 3 August due to a positive test of a crew member before boarding.

You can find the TUI cruises here: https://www.tuicruises.com/blauereisen

They started with 3 and 4 night cruises but also offer some 7 night cruises following this one.

I might be tempted after all 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Yes, the first was on 24 July.

Aida Cruises (Carnival) were also planning to sail but postponed the first sailing to 3 August due to a positive test of a crew member before boarding.

You can find the TUI cruises here: https://www.tuicruises.com/blauereisen

They started with 3 and 4 night cruises but also offer some 7 night cruises following this one.

I might be tempted after all 🙂

Thanks, what was confusing me was the thread title "Live from the first cruise in the Pandemic".  I presume we have heard no reports of any issues from that cruise!  Hopefully all of these will go well and start us all off again soon!

26 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Thanks, what was confusing me was the thread title "Live from the first cruise in the Pandemic".  I presume we have heard no reports of any issues from that cruise!  Hopefully all of these will go well and start us all off again soon!

Well, almost the first - and for sure Germancruiser´s first in the pandemic.

I am hoping for the same! However, as much as I think Europe and Asia (cruises in Taiwan are also starting again) are somewhere in sight, I have real doubts for cruises from the US.

Regardless of when they might be possible again, these sailings here can give us an idea how things will probably start in the US some day. 

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jg51 said:

+

Danke schön -- a thousand times, "Germancruiser"!!!

It has been very helpful to read your observations and experiences.  We have copied your two messages above -- and then removed most of the text -- in order to focus on certain passages.  Here are some questions that have occurred to us, while reading your messages ...

1.  You mentioned that it took you about "1,5 hours to get on board."  Were you able to be indoors during that time, or was there a long queue, extending outside the building, because everyone had to be 1,5 meters apart?

They obviously still have some problems to get the check-in organized. You get a time slot (3 to 4 pm) but obviously a lot of people don´t care. So it´s been a long queue for the first and this second cruise. Every report I´ve read / listened so far was talking about app. 2 hours at least. And no, some parts of the queue have to wait outdoors as the whole queue wouldn´t fit inside.

14 hours ago, jg51 said:

2.  What method was used for taking your temperature?

Camera - looks like a tablet/cell phone with face recognition (even with the mask)

3.  We assume that you had to fill out a medical questionnaire.  Was it short or extensive?  Did you have to show proof that you had been tested (negatively) on a recent day?

Short questionnaire and no tests needed. You receive the questionnaire ahead of time and then drop it into a box right after the camera which checks your temp.

4.  If you are not given a "cruise card" at check-in (but instead get it inside the stateroom), this means that one cannot obtain a drink at a bar until staterooms become available -- correct?  When you reached your stateroom, was the door propped open, so that you could get to your "cruise card"?

TUI Cruises is all inclusive so you don´t need a card to get a drink ;-). 

5.  You wrote, "No menues ... You have to scan everything (QR Code) with your mobil. I wonder how it works for people with no mobiles."

We would appreciate it if you could determine the answer to that ... because we have "no mobiles"!  [We (dinosaurs) don't even know what a QR Code is.]

I´m pretty sure they do have printed menus as well for those not having a cell phone. It´s basically because you save a lot of paper too when using the QR code.

6.  You said that there are "No self serving buffets."

---- Do you mean that EVERYONE must eat EVERY meal in the Main Dining Room or in a Specialty Restaurant? 

---- Do you mean that the ship HAS a buffet restaurant, but it is remaining completely empty at all times -- unused all day long?

---- Or do you mean that the buffet restaurant is open for all three meals, but guests are being served there at tables, by waiters, even there (just as they are being served in the MDR and SRs)?

The buffet has the same offerings as usual but you have to tell the staff what you want. Then they put it on a plate and hand it over with a hood covering the food. You may end up with a stack of plates (like when the servers in the MDR come out of the galley and walk to their station).

7.  You may need all of your days on board before you can answer this, but ... Based on your experiences with MDR and/or SRs and the "buffet" restaurant ... do you think that the crew would be able to do a good job with 2,000 or even 3,000 guests -- or would there be big delays (since self-service has disappeared)?

The ship has a max. of 2,500 passengers. And I doubt that it would work out with a full load of passengers. But currently they don´t sail with more than 60%.

8.  Celebrity cruises usually have talented musicians and singers that appear in lounges and other venues -- for example, a pianist, a jazz combo, a string trio, a duo playing/singing "oldies," a "party band," etc..  Are there such acts as these performing in lounges and in the centrum/atrium?  Are guests dancing (e.g., ballroom style)?

I don´t think that TUI Cruises ever offered ballroom dancing. Currently they only have guest entertainers and not the usual shows. Mainly two entertainers on the stage of either the theater or the Showbühne. Entertainment is totally different from Celebrity. 

9.  Are some of the customary activities listed in the daily program -- for example: trivia games, karaoke, and other things of this nature?

Yes, they do have a full daily program - Bingo, classes (food, arts & crafts, sports - mainly for a fee), shuffleboard and more.

THANK YOU very much for all that you have told us already -- and all that you will tell us in the days to come!

Tried to answer the questions for Germancruiser.

steamboats

• Like 7

On 7/28/2020 at 12:53 AM, Germancruiser said:

On board Mein Schiff 2 since yesterday. I will not describe the ship in detail, since it is very similar to X S- Class and a little Edge parts throwen in. In all a very nice and stunning ship. All and completly for the German market. 

The biggest issue might be check in - due to social distancing and the numbers of people that can enter the Cruise Terminal. I took 1,5 hours to get on board. Nothing to worry about - I expeceted something like this- so it was okay. 

Before one is allowed to enter the building ones tempratrue is taken, that is a very quick an efficent process. The moment you enter the Terminal all goes very swift - they dont hand out the cruise cards- that is waiting in a sealed envelope at your cabin. 

Everything is a bit different, but if you love cruising as I do- it is really no big deal.

No menues, neither in any lounge or bar or in any dinning room. You have to scan everything (QR Code) with your mobil. I wonder how it works for people with no mobiles. So you can read the menue on your device and order as usual.

No self serving buffets. No self serving coffee, tea ... etc.  All has turned to table side service. Works pretty well. 

Hand sanitizers everywhere. Before entering the MDR one is lead to a handwashing station - after that the sanatizer. 

That´s it for now I will be back with how they handle theater, dancing and so such things. 

All in all i did - so far not regret it one minute  to have taken the chance and board a big ship in the midst of a Pandemic.

Can't wait to hear more!

9 hours ago, Miaminice said:

QR code and menus

Let me clarify how this works, since some of you seem to have the impression that you can order by smartphone... you can‘t.

What you do is you scan the code with your camera. A link appears on the screen which can be used to open a menu or drink list. So all you touch is your own phone.

The order is not placed online but with a waiter as always.

Where is the QR code that you scan? Is it on a card on the table or does the waiter walk around holding it up?

1 minute ago, little britain said:

Where is the QR code that you scan? Is it on a card on the table or does the waiter walk around holding it up?

I can´t tell you exactly how it´s done on the ship... However, the code is usually placed on cards on the table. In some places I have been to it´s even a sticker on the table. I am sure it´s similar on the ship.

7 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

I can´t tell you exactly how it´s done on the ship... However, the code is usually placed on cards on the table. In some places I have been to it´s even a sticker on the table. I am sure it´s similar on the ship.

That is my point.. many people can touch a card left on the table and I'm not seeing any difference to touching the menu!   I guess if the card is sellotaped to the table then the phone can be held above it....?

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

I must admit I swore I would never wear a mask on a cruise. After reading this thread it has really changed my mind.

@Germancruiser Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience on board. I love the policy of only wearing the mask while you cant social distance and definitely think I could live with that. This thread really makes me want to get back on a ship and it sounds very safe with all precautions being taken. 

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, little britain said:

That is my point.. many people can touch the card on the table and I'm not seeing any difference to touching the menu! 

But you don't have to TOUCH the card. Just aim your smartphone camera and take a picture of it.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

That is my point.. many people can touch the card on the table and I'm not seeing any difference to touching the menu! 

You don't need to touch the card, just use your QR reader to scan it.

Edited to add that great minds think alike, @cruisemom42

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

Well, you don´t need to touch it - as some mentioned above.

However, if they do it according to the German regulations also in place for restaurants etc. (and it sounds like it) tables and everything on the tables is sanitized every time after a guests leave.

That being said, by now it´s a well known fact that risk of contact contamination with Covid is minimal - contrary to gastrontestinal deseases.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You don't need to touch the card, just use your QR reader to scan it.

Edited to add that great minds think alike, @cruisemom42

Some local restaurants that we go to have something also must wear mask until you get to your table. Agree with everyone love following this thread.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, little britain said:

That is my point.. many people can touch a card left on the table and I'm not seeing any difference to touching the menu!   I guess if the card is sellotaped to the table then the phone can be held above it....?

Table is easier to sanitize, as well quicker than a menu.

I Am sure they are wiping down the tables after each dining session.

bon appetite and bon voyage

19 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Can you report on the gym operation, or if limited exercise classes are able to be conducted?

Thank-you!

If you watch the video on the TUI website above, you can see some gym operation.
Gyms are allowed to open with certain restrictions/precautions in Germany. TUI seems to have adapted the precautions - sanitizing, distance, limited no of people...

• Like 1