Waiver

Would you sign a Covid-19 waiver if it was required to board a ship ? What recourse would you have if you found the cruise line to be negligent ?  I think ,  this is too binding or maybe not .  

Has this been asked already ? 

I am in the tour bus industry and right now they are pushing for laws that absolve the company of responsibility if a passenger contracts the virus while on the bus. I do not know what the company will be required to do to not be held negligent, I am sure all of that will be worked out. Without this legislation it is doubtful companies will be able to continue because the cost of liability insurance. Our company has told us if they have to pay the proposed rates they have already seen, they will not be able to pay them. I am sure this situation applies to most service industries. How can a claimant prove where they contracted the virus? With a two week incubation period, it would be difficult to prove exactly where it was contracted. I am sure the lawyers will know, the deepest pockets.

Even though we are doing very little transporting, we are already receiving training on what we have to do while transporting passenger.

You are absolutely right about the cost of insurance. It would be prohibitive for some companies to get insurance.  If a passenger signs a waiver , though , they give up their rights.  It would be hard , like you mentioned , to prove where a person would have picked up the virus.  The only way that I can think of is to analyze the DNA of the virus and to compare it to any virus contamination on the ship. That would only work if it is the same strain.  Not a good idea .

I’m a big fan of our local tour bus company . They are offering virtual tours on-line at very reduced prices.  I’m looking forward to visiting  the Getty with them when they are back in service.

Good luck to you ! 

Edited by NHProud

Sure, why not. I’ll sign. Because those waivers actually give away very few rights. 

EDIT: For all I know, we are already signing some pretty blanket waiver. Not like I actually read all the paperwork. Anyone know what’s in the current contract?

Edited by zekekelso

59 minutes ago, NHProud said:

If a passenger signs a waiver , though , they give up their rights.

Not sure about that.  Many of these "waivers" have proven to be unenforceable.  They are meant to scare people away from filing a lawsuit.

I usually do 7 night cruises so I would sign the waiver, The reason being that it can take up to 14 days for the virus to show u, and at that time, I'd have no way to prove that I got it on the cruise. It could have been prior to or post cruise, or on a excursion.

It is my understanding that even though one may sign a waiver, the company can be held negligent so the waiver may be nullified by certain actions or inactions. But if they take reasonable measures and follow any procedures they have put in place, they will probably be fine. 

• Like 1

The issue that I have is if you remove responsibility for the virus, corporate cost savings hit and I don’t believe the cleaning/sanitation procedures will truly stay in place. Every ad you see says “your safety is our top priority”, but the longer things go, the less is being done. 

1 minute ago, NHProud said:

So , why did our leader-in-chief ask the attendees to his last rally to sign a waiver ?  

Because he is who he is.  As I mentioned before, it's a scare tactic to prevent people from even thinking about filing suit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NHProud said:

Would you sign a Covid-19 waiver if it was required to board a ship ? What recourse would you have if you found the cruise line to be negligent ?  I think ,  this is too binding or maybe not .  

Has this been asked already ? 

I would imagine that the waiver will be hidden in the Contract of Carriage or the Terms and Conditions that we all agree to when we book our cruise. You know, that part where we check the box next to  a statement that we have read and understand the terms and condition to sail?

According to a lawyer friend, you can sign all the waivers you want - for ice skating, for surf rider, etc., but when push comes to shove, you can still file a lawsuit.  It is to scare people away from doing that.

Emeritus airlines yesterday has a new thing to cover you if you catch covid while on their flight. They are trying to encourage more people to fly 

I was wondering how you would prove where you caught it. 

20200729_111145793.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

21 hours ago, hloakes said:

I am in the tour bus industry and right now they are pushing for laws that absolve the company of responsibility if a passenger contracts the virus while on the bus. I do not know what the company will be required to do to not be held negligent, I am sure all of that will be worked out. Without this legislation it is doubtful companies will be able to continue because the cost of liability insurance. Our company has told us if they have to pay the proposed rates they have already seen, they will not be able to pay them. I am sure this situation applies to most service industries. How can a claimant prove where they contracted the virus? With a two week incubation period, it would be difficult to prove exactly where it was contracted. I am sure the lawyers will know, the deepest pockets.

Even though we are doing very little transporting, we are already receiving training on what we have to do while transporting passenger.

It's not just lawyers that can figure out where everyone contracted the virus.  Scientists/ doctors do it as well.  That's how they find patient 0.  That's how they knew it came not only from China but Wuhan even.  If two people are infected and the only time they crossed paths was on your bus or a cruise, well, BINGO.  One of many ways to discover its contraction point.

3 hours ago, Dr_sn0w said:

It's not just lawyers that can figure out where everyone contracted the virus.  Scientists/ doctors do it as well.  That's how they find patient 0.  That's how they knew it came not only from China but Wuhan even.  If two people are infected and the only time they crossed paths was on your bus or a cruise, well, BINGO.  One of many ways to discover its contraction point.

So 4 people infected... let's say. I'm not sure it's as easy to trace as that. Here unless you are in the hospital takes 2 weeks for results and they cant do tracing here. I'm not sure I buy it's as easy as what you say or they wouldnt be having so much trouble tracing here. Biggest problem is the results lacking so far behind testing. 

I heard of a case in a high rise where the two people never crossed paths and think it went thru the duct work. Lots not known. 

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So 4 people infected... let's say. I'm not sure it's as easy to trace as that. Here unless you are in the hospital takes 2 weeks for results and they cant do tracing here. I'm not sure I buy it's as easy as what you say or they wouldnt be having so much trouble tracing here. Biggest problem is the results lacking so far behind testing. 

I heard of a case in a high rise where the two people never crossed paths and think it went thru the duct work. Lots not known. 

ROFL Show me where I said it was a perfect science.  I didn't.  I was merely trying to give the previous commenter ideas as some solutions to their question.

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Emeritus airlines yesterday has a new thing to cover you if you catch covid while on their flight. They are trying to encourage more people to fly 

They will also pay for your funeral... no kidding!

4 hours ago, Dr_sn0w said:

Ir would be almost impossible to do contact tracing here in NYC.  Too many contacts with too many people.

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

20200729_111145793.jpeg

Emirates

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was tested last week & got the results back in 3 days.  They used a mouth swab, but I understand it is just as reliable as the nasal swab.  It came back negative by the way.

Edited by PTAngel