Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
greykitty

Regent cancelled through October 31, 2020

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Updated as of July 29, 2020

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

The safety, security and well-being of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. With COVID-19 continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of voyages embarking through October 31, 2020. For more information for impacted guests on these voyages, click here.

 

https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings

 

RCL too - didn't check Oceana.

Edited by greykitty
add link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the way they presented upcoming cruises on the webinar yesterday, I would say that NCLH will cancel all cruises through the end of the year. If I'm wrong that's okay with me, but we are cancelling our December cruise before the onslaught of cancellations hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you that the webinar implied that 2020 cruises are done for.  I hope that you can make arrangements that work well for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Press release included this sentence.  I think this communication promise may be a step in the right direction for many customers.  I'm assuming NCLH means each of the lines will adhere to the update schedule.  At least people won't have to read tea leaves to guess the timing of the next announcement.

 

In an effort to provide additional transparency, beginning in August, the Company plans to provide an update at the end of each month regarding the status of voyage suspensions, including any potential extensions.

 

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-announces-extension-of-suspension-of-voyages-2020-07-29-9197146

Edited by greykitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

From the way they presented upcoming cruises on the webinar yesterday, I would say that NCLH will cancel all cruises through the end of the year. If I'm wrong that's okay with me, but we are cancelling our December cruise before the onslaught of cancellations hits.

I came away from the webinar presentation with the same take. Told DH after we listened to it I thought our Feb Splendor sailing was in danger. Hope not but he said until there is a vaccine most people our age won’t be willing to risk it. Since most of our deposit is with FFC we will probably just wait and see.

 

greykitty, glad to hear they at least they stated have a plan of action for cruises going forward. These last minute cancelations were terrible when most already knew there was no way the cruise would go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, this article talks about refunds within 60 days.  As @Pcardad has mentioned, I believe, NCLH must be making huge strides in their accounting/refund group.  If this timing holds, I think it'll help with passenger confidence as well.  I added bolding

 

As with their most recent extensions, guests are being given two options with regard to their cancelled cruises: They can either take a Future Cruise Credit valued at 125 percent of the cruise fare paid, or a cash refund for the amount paid. The Future Cruise Credit must be used within one year of the issue date to book any sailing embarking through 2022.

Guests wanting a refund will be able to file a request beginning on August 3, and their refund will be processed within 60 days of its receipt. The line’s webpage notes that “the monetary refund period has ended for cruise departure dates through September 30, in addition to the previously suspended voyages upon the Norwegian Bliss (October 4 and 12), Norwegian Joy (October 4), Norwegian Breakaway (October 4 and 11) and Norwegian Gem (October 2 and 9). Guests who did not request a monetary refund have, or will, receive Future Cruise Credits.”

 

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-october-sailings/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Hey, this article talks about refunds within 60 days.  As @Pcardad has mentioned, I believe, NCLH must be making huge strides in their accounting/refund group.  If this timing holds, I think it'll help with passenger confidence as well.  I added bolding

 

As with their most recent extensions, guests are being given two options with regard to their cancelled cruises: They can either take a Future Cruise Credit valued at 125 percent of the cruise fare paid, or a cash refund for the amount paid. The Future Cruise Credit must be used within one year of the issue date to book any sailing embarking through 2022.

Guests wanting a refund will be able to file a request beginning on August 3, and their refund will be processed within 60 days of its receipt. The line’s webpage notes that “the monetary refund period has ended for cruise departure dates through September 30, in addition to the previously suspended voyages upon the Norwegian Bliss (October 4 and 12), Norwegian Joy (October 4), Norwegian Breakaway (October 4 and 11) and Norwegian Gem (October 2 and 9). Guests who did not request a monetary refund have, or will, receive Future Cruise Credits.”

 

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-october-sailings/

From RSSC.COM:

 

Q) When will they receive the refund?
A) Refunds, if chosen, will be processed back in the same form of payment received within 60 days of completing the request form online for paid in full bookings. Non paid-in-full bookings with the July 29 suspensions will be automatically refunded within 60 days of the cancelation.


https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2020-07/RSSC_VoyageSuspensionFAQ_072920.pdf

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In the email I got from our TA cancelling the Oct 22 Mariner I was surprised we were given some additional options for rebooking, including honoring our Mariner pricing for a different cruise late next year and keeping the $1000 OBC if we rebooked before end of August.  Nice to have choices, but still likely to do refund.  

Edited by johng75370

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there goes our much-anticipated first cruise with Regent.  We have three additional bookings, one we anticipate being cancelled for December this year and one each in 2021 and 2022.

 

Question for those who have taken the FCC during these COVID-19 pauses, how long did it take for Regent to apply FCCs?  Do we need to wait until after the deadline to request refunds or can we call our TA immediately?

 

Many thanks,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with the FCC:

Knew that August cruise would be cancelled so chose what we wanted to book in its place.

Let our TA know what we wanted, so when she got the word that this year was indeed cancelled (end of May), she called and made the booking for next year.

The FCC showed up a few days later, and we got updated reservation with all the bookkeeping shown.

New booking included the $1000 OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just requested a refund....and they are claiming up to 90 days.

 

Dear Xxxxxxx,

Your Request for the booking XXXXXXXXXX has been submitted.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will begin the process to initiate a refund. If we have questions about your refund request, we will contact you with the email address or phone number provided in the request form. 

Refund requests will be validated, and refunds will be processed within 90 days of the request.

Sincerely, 
Regent Seven Seas Cruises


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jawz33 said:

I just requested a refund....and they are claiming up to 90 days.

 

Dear Xxxxxxx,

Your Request for the booking XXXXXXXXXX has been submitted.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will begin the process to initiate a refund. If we have questions about your refund request, we will contact you with the email address or phone number provided in the request form. 

Refund requests will be validated, and refunds will be processed within 90 days of the request.

Sincerely, 
Regent Seven Seas Cruises


 

Most likely, Regent hasn’t modified the stock email you received yet. The change to 60 days is in several places on the website which makes it unlikely that it is a typo.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder, do you think any refunds requested prior to August 3 are still on the 90 days or more schedule?  Maybe they're giving themselves a cushion starting with the today's announcement and going forward on a monthly cancellation announcement schedule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still waiting for our April 16th cruise refund. Our TA has phoned last two weeks and twice this week, and was told today it’s with accounts now. This is no where near the 90 days never mind 60 days. Very disappointed to say the least.  Jean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah -- my 68-day Oct 29 -- Jan 5 Cape Horn cruise was canceled this morning.  

 

I'm still jockeying my FCCs from the truncated 2020 world cruise plus the canceled 15-day Alaska cruise a few weeks ago, but so far, it looks like my next cruise (94-day Arctic Adventure NYC-NYC starting May 31, 2021) and the three cruises I just booked last week for late 2021 are mostly covered except for the airline upgrade on the Nov 14, 2021 cruise.  

 

Keeping my fingers crossed for summer 2021.

 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCLH is being run as one 28 ship cruise line.  No thought is being made as to the individual attributes of the three cruislines nor of the 28 ships.  Why cancel the full South America (partial) circumnavigation  without cancelling the future segments?  Regent should immediately (or at least in the near future) state what is happening to the South America and World Cruise on Mariner.  This month by month makes sense financially but does not make sense to the educated consumers of regent.  We are used to extended cruises not one week eastern and one week western Caribbean.  

 

Just my two Texas centavos,

 

Marc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Why cancel the full South America (partial) circumnavigation  without cancelling the future segments?

Apparently the public announcements are by the calendar, not by itinerary or their actual future plans.  You said it makes sense financially, and it does.  This way they keep their refund turnaround under 60 days, as was promised in the cancellation letter that I just received.  (But I am taking the FCC.) 

 

Also, I believe that it could be that Regent may need to wait until a shorter time before the cruise to cancel in order to get more favorable treatment from their pre-paid suppliers under Force Majeure.  Just like we have to wait in order to get more favorable treatment from Regent.  It all flows downhill, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still do not believe that Regent (or other cruise lines) have the information necessary to make decisions any further in advance than they are doing it.  No one knows if the no-sail order will be lifted September 30th or not.  

 

While it is doubtful that Regent can sail to South America, Africa, New Zealand or Australia, it is not written in stone (particularly cruises down under).   Despite the likelihood of our January 21, 2021 cruise to Auckland being canceled, our TA recommended making a deposit on an almost identical cruise in December 2021 and wait until Regent cancels the cruise on the outside chance that things will change before January.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Despite the likelihood of our January 21, 2021 cruise to Auckland being canceled, our TA recommended making a deposit on an almost identical cruise in December 2021

The cruise over Christmas & New Year in 2021 looks excellent. 

Surprisingly the December cruise is marginally cheaper per night than the January cruise (UK pricing, cruise only)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The cruise over Christmas & New Year in 2021 looks excellent. 

Surprisingly the December cruise is marginally cheaper per night than the January cruise (UK pricing, cruise only)

 

Yes - that is the one that we booked (despite the fact that I said I would not sail during Christmas & New Years again).  Those Australia/New Zealand cruises are horribly expensive - partially due to airfare.  We are thankful for the extra FCC’s so that we could book this cruise (using the same OBC’s that we used to book the January 2021 cruise.

 

Do you have any bookings for next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - that is the one that we booked (despite the fact that I said I would not sail during Christmas & New Years again).  Those Australia/New Zealand cruises are horribly expensive - partially due to airfare.  We are thankful for the extra FCC’s so that we could book this cruise (using the same OBC’s that we used to book the January 2021 cruise.

We are currently booked on this cruise as well with our extended family (16 of us including the kids).   We will miss not doing a xmas cruise this year, so that savings justified the extra costs for this one.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

We are currently booked on this cruise as well with our extended family (16 of us including the kids).   We will miss not doing a xmas cruise this year, so that savings justified the extra costs for this one.   

 

Have you started a Roll Call yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an email today regarding Regent’s “special” offer ending. “OFFER ENDS TOMORROW – $1,000 Shipboard Credit, 50% Reduced Deposits, Plus Regent Reassurance”. I’d be surprised if this is truly the end of special deals but thought I would throw it out there for opinions on where cruise deals are headed. Maybe it deserves a separate topic, maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, greykitty said:

Press release included this sentence.  I think this communication promise may be a step in the right direction for many customers.  I'm assuming NCLH means each of the lines will adhere to the update schedule.  At least people won't have to read tea leaves to guess the timing of the next announcement.

 

In an effort to provide additional transparency, beginning in August, the Company plans to provide an update at the end of each month regarding the status of voyage suspensions, including any potential extensions.

 

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-announces-extension-of-suspension-of-voyages-2020-07-29-9197146

All of the cruise lines are in a rough position.  Considering DHHS Secretary (Azar) signed a continuation PHE on July 23, which would supersede even the CDC "No Sail Notice," then fold in the 60 day comment period in the CFR, then the lengthy task of coordinating and responding to the comments in the final rule, they know they will not be cruising for many, many months.  The joint consultant team that Royal and NCL has several people (including a former Secretary of HHS) who know the regulatory process quite well.  I know I have commented several times regarding the length of time to hopefully develop, distribute and administer any potential immunizations/vaccine, so I will leave that out of the equation.

 

One thing that we also must remember is the division at CDC that works on this (specific to the cruise industry) is quite small.  I have a funny feeling (once again personal feeling) that CDC has many balls in the air right now.  I have worked with many of them over the years, and they are dedicated group of scientists, unfortunately it is political appointees that make most of the final decisions.   Another reality is that we are in an election year which tends to paralyze the regulatory bodies. 

 

So the cruise lines certainly have to know the reality of the regulatory process.  They also know there is a financial reality of paying bills and keeping the lights on.  When I have tried to understand the financial working of cruise lines, I can never figure out much, only they are in lots of debt and they most probably take new money to pay of old bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...