55 Years and Younger, Where would you like to see HAL go?

55 Years and Younger, Where would you like to see HAL go?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. 55 Years and Younger, Where would you like to see HAL go?

• Keep it as is, for the most part
    • Move a step above Princess and Celebrity, in-between the Luxury Lines
    • Willing to see a few cuts, as long as the price stays down
    • More contemporary music and shows
    • Additional entertainment and enrichment activities
    • Other

I share your frustration about the sometimes "mystery" of the food stations. We have often found ourselves going all over both sides of the lido restaurant trying to sort out what was available and where....not fun when the place is full of people scrambling around.

I know this sounds kind of silly to some, but we thought it would have been better if there had been a bit of order to the situation.

In the great scheme of things, a small matter.

We were disappointed with the Koningsdam and the direction that HAL is taking with the Pinnacle Class ships.  True, the ships have the decor and the vibe of a HAL ship, but the ship reminded me more of a Celebrity ship than a HAL ship.

Cabins are notably smaller.  Much smaller.  Smaller cabins also mean smaller balconies.  In-cabin dining is very difficult on the Pinnacle class ships as HAL has removed the adjustable coffee table from this ship.  A perfect cruise day for me begins with a wonderful hot breakfast enjoyed on our balcony.  HAL has made this very difficult in the Pinnacle class unless you book a Signature Suite or above.

Entertainment, as others have noted, is lacking.  I see cruisers posting their "Where & When" and I think I would be bored on a HAL cruise now.  There just doesn't seem to be much to do on the ships anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

We were disappointed with the Koningsdam and the direction that HAL is taking with the Pinnacle Class ships.  True, the ships have the decor and the vibe of a HAL ship, but the ship reminded me more of a Celebrity ship than a HAL ship.

Cabins are notably smaller.  Much smaller.  Smaller cabins also mean smaller balconies.  In-cabin dining is very difficult on the Pinnacle class ships as HAL has removed the adjustable coffee table from this ship.  A perfect cruise day for me begins with a wonderful hot breakfast enjoyed on our balcony.  HAL has made this very difficult in the Pinnacle class unless you book a Signature Suite or above.

Entertainment, as others have noted, is lacking.  I see cruisers posting their "Where & When" and I think I would be bored on a HAL cruise now.  There just doesn't seem to be much to do on the ships anymore.

I know the J cabin we had on the K’dam was tiny, no couch either.  Sit on the bed or go home....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DFD1 said:

I share your frustration about the sometimes "mystery" of the food stations. We have often found ourselves going all over both sides of the lido restaurant trying to sort out what was available and where....not fun when the place is full of people scrambling around.

I know this sounds kind of silly to some, but we thought it would have been better if there had been a bit of order to the situation.

In the great scheme of things, a small matter.

We too, have felt frustration in trying to find the "stations" we wanted.  It seems to me that they could either post a floor map at each entrance end or print one to put in each cabin on embarkation day.  We get so much "paper" during a cruise, it seems printing the station map at the beginning would actually be useful.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, KirkNC said:

For me it’s more unique itineraries, over night stays, higher staff to passenger ratios, better ship maintenance, better and more variety of food, quality speakers, trained staff, small touches like fresh flowers just to name a few.

Yup, this would largely do it and is how I remember HAL being in the past (perhaps my memories are overly-romanticized, but I don't think so).  Moving upmarket is a combination of hard and soft factors, and KirkNC summarized it well.

Are days are pretty well over, we are in our mid eight's, so it much more difficult to get around especially in airports.   But if were able we would very like to another ocean cruise on the Koningsdam Rome to Fort Lauderdale.  Second choice would be a British Isles cruise, however we would prefer it department from England and return to England, but Hal only has it depart and return to I believe Amsterdam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

Early 30s here. 

I started out on the Fantasy class ships of Carnival (not my choice - it was a Deaf group cruise), and while it was a good starting point, it was not the right fit for me. Like  Bramcruiser said, this is my sentiment as well. 

Give me a steamer chair, a wraparound Promenade deck, traditional dining and tea, and shuffleboard any time and I'm content. I go not only for the itinerary but the ship as well. I would love to see more "history" onboard - let's not wipe the 147 years of HAL for something "new" - find a way to marry the new and the old. 

For me, even as a 8 year old back then, I still would have chosen HAL for the same reasons I choose it today. I became interested in ocean liners at that age, and by 13, I wanted to design ships (sadly that did not come to fruition as I was swayed by naysayers saying that girls shouldn't be interested in ships...). A good friend of the family did encourage this and picked up those brochures from TAs (back then when they still had deck plans included in them) and I would pour over them until they were dog-eared. I also had the coffee table books of the classic ocean liners with THEIR deck plans and beautiful pictures of their public rooms. I followed the construction of the RMS Queen Mary 2 diligently (despite not YET SAILED ON HER - something I need to remedy). I dragged my friend around the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, and she did not understand why I was perfectly content to sit on the Promenade Deck (she would be a great fit for RCI type cruises, needing to "do-do" stuff). At one point when I was 14, I toyed with what HAL would have looked like had they kept their colors of the 1930s-1950s and sketched over a profile of the Disney Magic/Wonder (I forget which one I used as example) and colored in with a white/gray hull and green/yellow/white funnels and yellow lifeboats. (I chose those two as they still had the "ocean liner" profiles). The sketch turned out well. 

Which brings me to branding - is there a reason why HAL consistently switches up its branding and logo? The others have recognizable branding and funnel colors that haven't changed (much) over the years, and are still recognizable. HAL on the other hand - funnels colors change from yellow/green/white to orange to white to blue/white with the Halve Maen superimposed onto the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938, and then the little ship disappears and it's just NA. What's up with that? If they keep this up, then it might become unrecognizable. Even Carnival has stuck to their colors (and whale tail) over the years... This only adds to their 'being lost and not finding a direction" feelings. I saw on a thread from a few years ago that P&O had a similar sentiment about the changing of colors ("If the Old Guard doesn't like it, they can move over to Cunard" was one line that stuck out). So I'm torn on this - marketing strategies needed to rebrand to keep the lines going, but at the same time... ahhh. 

So what do I want to see? More enrichment options that is active, not passive (ie not just sitting and watching). While I love the lectures/port talks, I found the music options a bit too much (partly because I am Deaf, and partly because it's a bit overdone). I would love to see a return of organized deck sports (shuffleboard is already a given, but what about deck quoits? Scavenger hunts? (I so wanted to join the children on that one...) Betting on horses. Keep the "On Deck for a Cause" (though I don't believe they do that on the Koningsdam and (Nieuw) Statendam (let's drop the Nieuw on that one, shall we?), do they? Since they don't have room on their Promenade Decks for this? Please correct if I'm wrong). More arts/crafts/hands-on activities on the ship. (Many aspects of the children's actives is something I would have enjoyed). Bring back the libraries, but keep some of the EXC (they can work together - modern libraries do, so why can't that carry over shipboard? They can work together hand in hand.) Would love to see more shows in the showroom - dance revues would be fun! (Or musicals similar to HMS Pinafore, Anything Goes, Sail Away, (and I hear a Moby Dick show is coming in the theater world...)

Another thing is that I would have enjoyed is the different decor theme ship by ship. (But definitely not to the extreme level of Farcus - - one can be nautical and celebrate the seafaring history of HAL, and the four Vista class ships - and the Eurodam -  could have done a regional theme that actually matches their names...) While I understand the "branding" entertainment, I would have liked to see a different variety on the ships - they don't need to be cookie-cutter versions of each other. I was so grateful to have sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam prior to her Dec 2017 refit (which eliminated the library, took down "Manhattan" from the dining room name, and rebranded with the music stuff). That one had a character to her, and still felt "unique" despite sharing the same structure and layout as her sister. My friend, who is also a 30s something commented that many ships she has sailed on, lacked the "character" and was just "a ship" - a means of transportation to get from Point A to B and back to A, but she commented that the NA had "character" and could very much feel the "soul" of the ship itself. I think the decor for that one worked well, as they worked together to recreate the NYC feel (and the nods to history, given the photos in the corridors and the mini-museum of prior ships named the NA on the bottom of the atrium). I want the ship to feel like an old friend. I do hope that they do have SOME ties to the older Rotterdams on the newbuild, like they did with the Nieuw Amsterdam

So that's my two cents. And yes, I would be willing to shell out a bit more to keep the quality level instead of cutting corners, and keep the itineraries as they say, "savor the journey". To me, the "journey" is as much the itinerary as the shipboard life. So let's not forget one in favor of the other. 

I guess this opinion describes it all best. 

Sign me up for every word.

P.S.

people, you are fun until you have FUN in YOU - aging is not a problem

(said an almost 30's girl, haha)

• Like 1

I’d like to see Holland America be the alternative with classic ships and promenade decks, an opposite experience to the theme-park/floating-hotel model.  A lot of us 55&unders relish a natural escape where the sensation of going to and being at sea is ever-present and knowing that you’ve left the insanity of things back on land behind.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I’d like to see Holland America be the alternative with classic ships and promenade decks, an opposite experience to the theme-park/floating-hotel model.  A lot of us 55&unders relish a natural escape where the sensation of going to and being at sea is ever-present and knowing that you’ve left the insanity of things back on land behind.

While I agree HAL should retain its character, I also think they need to upgrade the experience to be in line with what travelers expect from a 'slightly' more upscale experience including functional internet and more things that can be managed via an app or interactive tv/kiosks. Some attention to sea day activities would be good -- things that are not just commercials for the spa or sales pitches for excursions. 

I also feel like one piece is missing from their evening entertainment offerings. I can't really put a finger on it -- not having been a huge fan of the  old set show pieces, but they do tend to "anchor" the evening with an event/activity of some type.

Hoping the average age of me and my spouse (56 and 52 = 54) allows our vote to count 🙂.  Would love to see HAL be a more upscale and tradition-filled line as compared to Celebrity and Princess.  We’ve strayed from HAL for those reasons, but want to return and will; at least we’d like to see the suite categories (especially Neptune) become more competitive. 

50 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

...at least we’d like to see the suite categories (especially Neptune) become more competitive. 

I’d like to see a better variety of suite choices, and better perks for suites. Celebrity blows HAL away in that category.

If nothing else, just vamp the Neptune Lounge to include free drinks and specialty coffees, and move it to a better location with a view. On my last Celebrity cruise, the lounge had ocean views and there was a nightly guitar player in the lounge during the free cocktail hours. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 1

And I feel the opposite. Other lines already have created these suite perks and spaces that create a much more defined class system aboard ships.  Let them keep that distinction.

Let HAL do what HAL has done best in providing a relatively class-less experience once one leaves one's cabin or suite behind. I don't want to see suite-only spaces, restaurants, etc.  That is not the HAL experience, to my mind.

• Like 5

Agree,  I like the egalitarian approach of HAL.   If you want ship within a ship there are many options,  but that results in a dumbing down of food in the MDR and decks one cannot visit and becoming a second or third class experience.  

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on improved suite perks.  On the one hand, I used to book S and PS cabins back when all you got was a bigger cabin.  And to me, that's still the main benefit.  It's also frustrating that many of the benefits they've added for booking a suite are duplicated of things we get as multi-star Mariners.  Finally, it does indeed reek of cheapness that they charge the same for drinks in the Neptune Lounge as they do anywhere else on the ship.

So I guess I'd be okay with them stripping all additional benefits from suite bookings, but if they're going to offer benefits then I think they should truly be impressive, can't-get-elsewhere kinds of benefits.

Suite benefits with HAL are definitely lacking. Specifically for Neptune and Pinnacle Suites I’d like to see: Adding an evening happy hour with free drinks (Alcoholic and non-alcoholic) in the Neptune Lounge would be attractive, as well as perhaps some enhanced in-suite amenities. One time bar set up with 4 full sized bottles of decent liquor (exchangeable for wine or beer of similar value) and unlimited complimentary in suite sodas/mixers and small water bottles. Coffee/espresso makers in all suite categories (vista and signature included). Also upgraded bath products, towels, linens, robes, etc would nice. Perhaps binoculars and umbrellas like Celebrity offer.  Basically enhance the in-suite and Neptune lounge experience, but do not cordon off seating at shows or create private sun deck/pool areas Like other lines have

two other things they could add as perks to Neptune & Pinnacle suites that would make them attractive - gratuities and Internet always included for all suite occupants. I’d suggest the Signature Beverage package always be included too but I can already hear the chorus of the “we don’t drink and don’t want to pay extra for something we don’t use” crowd that is so prevalent on the HAL boards.....

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Funny how the over 55s are disputing the under 55s on their opinions. Typical. 🙄

especially since the whole premise of this thread is what would those of us under 55 like to see HAL add/change to make their product more attractive to our cohort. 

• Like 1

Another thing - I’d like to see HAL make “Have it All” a permanent fare structure (swapping out the dining component for Internet), just as Princess has done with Princess Plus. Still offer a no perks (art age) fare or book with Have it All.  Win-win for all.  Super easy with Princess as its a flat $40pp/day difference in the fare with perks vs without. Those that want it save vs paying for each component separately, those that don’t want it save by having an unbundled fare. Then HAL, like Princess, could occasionally offer additional bennies combinable with ALL fares - onboard credit, dining, shore excursion discounts, air discounts, etc. Celebrity does the similar with their three tiered “Sail Your Way” pricing - base fare no perks, mid price 2 perks, top price 4 perks including upgraded beverage package. 

On 8/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, KirkNC said:

I know the J cabin we had on the K’dam was tiny, no couch either.  Sit on the bed or go home....

We had a Vista Suite on the K and it felt cramped.  We didn't have any cabin dining as it was literally eat on the bed or put your plate on the tiny table.  It would have reminded me of dining from a tv tray.  I much prefer our experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam where you can easily move the coffee table to the balcony and adjust it upward and enjoy your room service.

I'm a detailed person so I pay attention to things like this. 

18 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

If nothing else, just vamp the Neptune Lounge to include free drinks and specialty coffees, and move it to a better location with a view. On my last Celebrity cruise, the lounge had ocean views and there was a nightly guitar player in the lounge during the free cocktail hours. 

This!  I totally agree.  Michaels Lounge on Celebrity and the Concierge/Suite Lounge on RCI are a really nice perk to booking suites on those lines.  They're in a great location with views, often have evening entertainment, and the free drinks are definitely welcomed.  I love the 24/7 free cappuccino machine.  

And besides, it's a lounge.  It's a Neptune's Lounge but with far better amenities.  A lounge does not equate to a class system.  This is the lounge on RCI Quantum.

Concierge Club Quantum of the Seas | CruiseBe

13 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Suite benefits with HAL are definitely lacking. Specifically for Neptune and Pinnacle Suites I’d like to see: Adding an evening happy hour with free drinks (Alcoholic and non-alcoholic) in the Neptune Lounge would be attractive, as well as perhaps some enhanced in-suite amenities. One time bar set up with 4 full sized bottles of decent liquor (exchangeable for wine or beer of similar value) and unlimited complimentary in suite sodas/mixers and small water bottles. Coffee/espresso makers in all suite categories (vista and signature included). Also upgraded bath products, towels, linens, robes, etc would nice. Perhaps binoculars and umbrellas like Celebrity offer.  Basically enhance the in-suite and Neptune lounge experience, but do not cordon off seating at shows or create private sun deck/pool areas Like other lines have

two other things they could add as perks to Neptune & Pinnacle suites that would make them attractive - gratuities and Internet always included for all suite occupants. I’d suggest the Signature Beverage package always be included too but I can already hear the chorus of the “we don’t drink and don’t want to pay extra for something we don’t use” crowd that is so prevalent on the HAL boards.....

Some good suggestions that don’t take away from others experiences.  But Hal already provides binoculars and umbrellas.  We’ve had them in both Neptune and Signature suites, although the binoculars leave a lot to be desired.   I was surprised that they charged for drinks in the Neptune lounge.