55 Years and Younger, Where would you like to see HAL go?

55 Years and Younger, Where would you like to see HAL go?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. 55 Years and Younger, Where would you like to see HAL go?

• Keep it as is, for the most part
    • Move a step above Princess and Celebrity, in-between the Luxury Lines
    • Willing to see a few cuts, as long as the price stays down
    • More contemporary music and shows
    • Additional entertainment and enrichment activities
    • Other

I sailed on HAL for the first time at 39, over two years ago.  I voted for staying ahead of Princess and Celebrity, because mattress quality, ship maintenance, service, and food are all important to us.  I also think there could be a solid niche, becoming the best of the mass market.  I believe this is already true, but would pay extra for a slight lean towards Viking Ocean.

I considered voting for contemporary music and shows.  In doing so, I think they should alternate nights, and lean towards music that multiple generations like.  In BB King for instance, you could start with a couple nights of 70s funk.

My wife would have voted for "Other", wishing for the addition of an expedition ship or two, to compete in the Galapagos, and Antarctica.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I sailed on HAL for the first time at 39, over two years ago.  I voted for staying ahead of Princess and Celebrity, because mattress quality, ship maintenance, service, and food are all important to us.  I also think there could be a solid niche, becoming the best of the mass market.  I believe this is already true, but would pay extra for a slight lean towards Viking Ocean.

I considered voting for contemporary music and shows.  In doing so, I think they should alternate nights, and lean towards music that multiple generations like.  In BB King for instance, you could start with a couple nights of 70s funk.

My wife would have voted for "Other", wishing for the addition of an expedition ship or two, to compete in the Galapagos, and Antarctica.

I know this is just my opinion, but I think you just described Celebrity. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I know this is just my opinion, but I think you just described Celebrity. 😉

As far as expeditions, absolutely.  Maybe even the Northern Arctic region, or off the beaten path such as National Geographic.

Celebrity doesn't have the same music venue space as HAL.  They have not been close a luxury-light line in years.  The food on our last X cruise was disappointing, including the frozen mixed veggies.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, Aquahound said:

I'm mid 40s and I do NOT want to see HAL step up to just below luxury status like the majority of the poll seems to be trending.  For the most part, I like HAL the way it is.  My biggest gripe is the lack of entertainment variety.  I voted to add entertainment. A solo guitarist or solo piano player, to provide toned-down entertainment where you can still have quiet conversation with your cruise mates, would go a long way with me.  I think eliminating this sort of entertainment was HAL's biggest mistake.

Mid 40s here too, DW is late 30s.  I pretty much agree with everything you said, except I voted keep the same for the most part.  We really like the music walk but some additional music or activities during sea days would be welcome, but not necessary for us. Especially NOT rock climbing, water slides or that sort of thing.  We really prefer the relaxed atmosphere.

We've only sailed twice...on the Eurodam and N. Amsterdam, and really liked each trip.  Our next cruise will be on a Pinnacle class ship and I think the RS Rock Room will be great for us.

• Like 5

I'm 48, so fall in the middle of the Gen-X cohort.  I have been on 5 HAL cruises (Amsterdam, Eurodam, Oosterdam, Noordam and Ryndam), and have 2 future HAL cruises booked for 2021 and 2022 (Nieuw Statendam and Volendam).  I have seen many changes and evolution's to the ships/product since I first sailed with HAL in 2007.  HAL has been a good fit for my travel preferences along with Princess and Celebrity.

I would like to see HAL going forward to concentrate on staying with their unique and comprehensive itineraries, as well as build up their enrichment program and feature true experts in the fields of History, Culture, Geography and Wildlife.  Quality Enrichment offerings can really help bring the destination alive.  I like the Entire Music Walk concept, but also feel  they can enhance the offering by always having a live pianist or trio in the Ocean Bar throughout the evening playing music from the Great American Songbook.  An acoustic guitarist by the pool or in the Crow's Nest would also be nice.  I'd also like it if they would add back a full live Orchestra to back song/dance production shows and guest performers in the Mainstage.  Overall I found the food good to borderline excellent on my last HAL cruise, but feel they could kick up the MDR menus a notch by featuring more locally inspired dishes and varied accompaniments with mains.  I actually like the changes to the Crows Nest, which I know is an unpopular opinion on here. 

In general I'd like to see HAL build on what they have by fine tuning/upgrading some aspects of entertainment/enrichment and increase the quality and variety of food offerings.  If they can fine tune their marketing to focus on destination immersion, enrichment, live music variety and dining, then deliver on it, they could really set themselves apart as a premium mainstream brand.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 11

On 8/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'm 48, so fall in the middle of the Gen-X cohort.  I have been on 5 HAL cruises (Amsterdam, Eurodam, Oosterdam, Noordam and Ryndam), and have 2 future HAL cruises booked for 2021 and 2022 (Nieuw Statendam and Volendam).  I have seen many changes and evolution's to the ships/product since I first sailed with HAL in 2007.  HAL has been a good fit for my travel preferences along with Princess and Celebrity.

I would like to see HAL going forward to concentrate on staying with their unique and comprehensive itineraries, as well as build up their enrichment program and feature true experts in the fields of History, Culture, Geography and Wildlife.  Quality Enrichment offerings can really help bring the destination alive.  I like the Entire Music Walk concept, but also feel  they can enhance the offering by always having a live pianist or trio in the Ocean Bar throughout the evening playing music from the Great American Songbook.  An acoustic guitarist by the pool or in the Crow's Nest would also be nice.  I'd also like it if they would add back a full live Orchestra to back song/dance production shows and guest performers in the Mainstage.  Overall I found the food good to borderline excellent on my last HAL cruise, but feel they could kick up the MDR menus a notch by featuring more locally inspired dishes and varied accompaniments with mains.  I actually like the changes to the Crows Nest, which I know is an unpopular opinion on here. 

In general I'd like to see HAL build on what they have by fine tuning/upgrading some aspects of entertainment/enrichment and increase the quality and variety of food offerings.  If they can fine tune their marketing to focus on destination immersion, enrichment, live music variety and dining, then deliver on it, they could really set themselves apart as a premium mainstream brand.

Excellent ideas, and very well thought out.

I would add specialty restaurants, with authentic chefs from a specific region.  Let's say Pinnacle Class gets Sicilian, Signature Class gets Moroccan or Lebanese, and Vista Class gets Spanish Tapas.  I would also like to see more overnights in exotic ports, especially in ports without busy ship schedules.  This could open the door for partnerships with local restaurants, or "specialty dining on land".

One of the things I read from apprehensive millennials towards cruising, is the perception of overcrowded ships, inauthentic food, and lack of time in port.  There are a % of millennials looking for destination immersion, that would happily skip the fun ship experience altogether, for the right product.

• Like 2

We are in our mid 40’s. Our last cruise was aboard Nieuw Statendam. We had an absolutely wonderful experience. I felt that this class of ship perfectly ties the HAL of the past with the HAL of the future, opening the door to a new generation of HAL cruisers like us. We appreciated the more traditional feel, while enjoying the more modern touches. In my humble opinion, the experience found on the Pinnacle class should be what HAL should aim for as they evolve.

I took this cruise with some trepidation, thinking that we were a bit too young for Holland America, specially since we are a family with young children. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised, realizing that my fears had no foundation. HAL truly exceeded expectations. Our cruise aboard Nieuw Statendam was one of the best that our family has ever experienced. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 5

Where would you like to see HAL go?   (I voted “Other” & I am 50 y.o.)

-Reposition themselves as leader of great itineraries with several new ports of call (example: B2B of 14-night around Africa (in depth discovery of Africa) and at least14-night around The Philippines). I feel Norwegian is really kicking HAL derrière with new itineraries at a great quality/price.

-Entertainment: Escape room —  Scavenger hunt — Great Rock & Roll shows

-New ships: keep the wraparound Promenade deck & teak chairs.  My understanding is that the new ships do not!  What a mistake.  It will totally change the vibe of HAL.  Keep the ships on the SMALLER side (we cruised B2B inside room on the Prinsendam in Sept 2016 and LOVED it).

-Keep great quality/price

Our first cruise was in 2008 on the Queen Mary II (10-night South Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale).  We did not cruise for 4 years as we did not think any cruise could exceed the joy we had on our 1st cruise.  Then, in 2012, we tried HAL (7-night Caribbean).   We just told ourselves, “Let’s not compare & let’s have a good time.”.  Well at the end, we knew HAL was the perfect fit for us.  The gracious customer service made the difference for us as it was not as stuffy as Cunard (we have not cruised with Cunard since as they have way too many sea days in their itineraries).

I have to say our #1 priority is itineraries.  We never have done a 7-day cruise since 2012.  We were impressed with HAL’s itineraries and being able to add two 14-nights with minimal sea days.  We don’t cruise to be pampered but to be transported from one port of call to another one.  We are so busy during the days of exploring, that after dining for 2-hour with different cruisers, we rarely attend any entertainment.  We have to say, HAL entertainment does not warrant our time as we rather relax in our room to be energized for the next day (except The Jersey boys on the Maasdam Oct-Nov 2018 in French Polynesia as they were great)!

We have cruised Celebrity and loved their entertainment.  We would almost attend every show.  Everything was perfect with Celebrity EXCEPT the itineraries.  They lack big time on itineraries and being able to do B2B so we cruised only twice with them.  Plus, we feel it is not as good value as HAL.

We have cruised Norwegian once from Auckland (just because HAL did not have any cruise starting in Auckland) and we were hesitant as we had heard bad stories.  However, we have to say we were happily surprised.  The entertainment was more superior than HAL.  We would cruise Norwegian again if itineraries fit what we want to see (example: their South Africa cruise)

I know we are “weird” as we rather book an inside room so we can travel twice as long.  For example, our last cruise was in Japan April-May 2019.  We did 17-day pre-cruise to be able to discover some cities in depth: 3-nights in Osaka (we experienced Sumo wrestling during a 2-week competition), 5-nights in Kyoto (OUTSTANDING), 2-nights in Hiroshima and 6-nights in Tokyo.  Then boarded in Yokohama for B2B2B ending in Vancouver.  It was our first repositioning and it will surely be our last as it is just not us: 6-7 sea days in a row= boring.

Again, we are all about itinerary!  So I can not see us cruising with HAL on too many cruises if they do not become as adventurous as before!

Basically, keep it simple: great value, great itineraries, smaller ships and improve entertainment (nothing crazy but more active).

The Canadians!😎

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

I know we are “weird” as we rather book an inside room so we can travel twice as long. 

Not at all -- I feel the same. 

I do agree that where HAL already has a good reputation (itineraries), they should both solidify it and promote it as a significant difference. Do more overnight stays or late night departures, as someone suggested above. This is one reason why I like Azamara's itineraries quite a bit -- the long port stays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not at all -- I feel the same. 

I do agree that where HAL already has a good reputation (itineraries), they should both solidify it and promote it as a significant difference. Do more overnight stays or late night departures, as someone suggested above. This is one reason why I like Azamara's itineraries quite a bit -- the long port stays.

I agree on the solidifying their itineraries with overnight and longer stays in ports.  The Prinsendam often did that and with the loss of her from the fleet, some ship(s) need(s) to take on that strategy.  I am certain there are plenty of us that would be willing to pay more for better, more intense visits on our itineraries.

We moved away from frequent  cruising for that very reason. Not nearly enough time or days in ports.  And of course, because we typically wanted to see more in given country besides the ports.  Not to mention getting a little tired of the same old same old vanilla  food and accommodation.

Edited by iancal

Hello all,

You are absolutely right, I forgot to mention longer stay at port of calls.  On the Prinsendam (Aug 2016), we stayed overnight in Dublin and left the next day at 5pm.  Two full days in Dublin was a treat.  If we had it our way, every port of calls would have a stay of minimum 1 night so this way, nobody feels rushed.

For you out there that might want to experience Tanzania & Uganda, I posted a few months ago on this topic (best port to do a safari).  That might give you some idea for one of your future trip...

My first post is #33

Enjoy!  If anyone would like more info on Uganda & Tanzania, let me know.

The Canadians!😎

cashmere......two months in Kenya and Tanzania is at the top of our bucket list for an extended winter trip when this covid business is over.  I have been using this time to research safaris and beach locations!   Might not be until 2022 but it is at the top of the to do list!  

1 hour ago, iancal said:

cashmere......two months in Kenya and Tanzania is at the top of our bucket list for an extended winter trip when this covid business is over.  I have been using this time to research safaris and beach locations!   Might not be until 2022 but it is at the top of the to do list!  

Iancal,

Do not forget trekking  gorillas 🦍  in Uganda.  You can do this only in 2 countries: Uganda & Rwanda.  A gorilla (Rafiki) was killed during Covid and the killed was found guilty & received a sentence of 11 years in jail.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/africa/rafiki-silverback-gorilla-killer-jail-trnd/index.html

DH and I have helped Jeff (guide/driver in Uganda) and Ivan (guide/driver in Uganda) during Covid as there is no work at all!  Some might say we are having a hard time in Canada and USA but once you see the poverty in these 2 countries, you understand how fortunate we are to have been born on this side of the ocean...  Please, read this post I posted on Tripadvisor Uganda

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293840-i9254-k13366623-DRIVERS_in_Uganda_Tanzania_Dream_team_And_AFFORDABLE-Uganda.html

Again, if you need help with your itinerary, email me at chantalanddennis at hotmail dot com

I am 50 y.o. but my husband is 72 y.o.  We travelled with another couple from USA both around DH’s age (we met on HAL Japan cruises).  We had no problem at all but it is better to go sooner than later as it is tiring being in a Landcruiser for 10 hours/day (you bounce around quite a bit as there is no paved road in the Serengeti).  I want to go back this winter to volunteer but I will decide in Nov (DH might not come because of Covid but time will tell).  Lots can happen between now and then.

Enjoy your planning! 🦍🐒🦁🐆🦓🦏🦒🐘

The Canadians!😎

On 8/11/2020 at 7:05 PM, Tapi said:

We are in our mid 40’s. Our last cruise was aboard Nieuw Statendam. We had an absolutely wonderful experience. I felt that this class of ship perfectly ties the HAL of the past with the HAL of the future, opening the door to a new generation of HAL cruisers like us. We appreciated the more traditional feel, while enjoying the more modern touches. In my humble opinion, the experience found on the Pinnacle class should be what HAL should aim for as they evolve.

I didn't quite get the extent of what you were saying until I watched this video.  Even compared to Signature Class, I find the look and features on this ship appealing.  

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 10:04 AM, iceman93 said:

HAL used to totally own that niche of the market, but over the years (decades) they've seemed to lose their vision, trying various things in misguided attempts to chase new customers.  So I voted for moving a step above Princess and Celebrity, establishing that niche once again.

Just curious, as your post has received a lot of likes, in what specific areas might HAL greatly improve to be a step above Celebrity or Princess?

For us they would definitely need to beef up their assistant cruise director staff (Princess and Celebrity usually have at least 4) in order to offer a greater variety of things to do on sea days. Over the past few years their sea day offerings have been pretty weak, unless you were maybe on one of their In-depth EXC cruises where they loaded up on lectures.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I didn't quite get the extent of what you were saying until I watched this video.  Even compared to Signature Class, I find the look and features on this ship appealing.  

When we first boarded the Nieuw Statendam, I thought “ok, still looks like the older HAL ships”. But once we started walking around and noticed the modern touches, I was sold. Absolutely loved it. I’m the cruise addict in the family, and my wife puts up with it to appease. But even she said that, if every cruise could be like this one, she would become a huge cruising fan. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I watched the video, but all I thought was "BIG".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, as your post has received a lot of likes, in what specific areas might HAL greatly improve to be a step above Celebrity or Princess?

For us they would definitely need to beef up their assistant cruise director staff (Princess and Celebrity usually have at least 4) in order to offer a greater variety of things to do on sea days. Over the past few years their sea day offerings have been pretty weak, unless you were maybe on one of their In-depth EXC cruises where they loaded up on lectures.

For me it’s more unique itineraries, over night stays, higher staff to passenger ratios, better ship maintenance, better and more variety of food, quality speakers, trained staff, small touches like fresh flowers just to name a few.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I watched the video, but all I thought was "BIG".

I would argue that "BIG" is a good thing, in that you are noticing it from the interior of the ship.  All too often we notice how big new ship is from the outside, while people are cramped into into narrow hallways, smaller atriums, with long lines to services.  They may be more cost effective, but the passengers are getting hosed on the common area vs # of cabins.

it really comes down to personal taste.  The real negative comes in when we see port access restricted.

56 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I would argue that "BIG" is a good thing, in that you are noticing it from the interior of the ship.  All too often we notice how big new ship is from the outside, while people are cramped into into narrow hallways, smaller atriums, with long lines to services.  They may be more cost effective, but the passengers are getting hosed on the common area vs # of cabins.

it really comes down to personal taste.  The real negative comes in when we see port access restricted.

I freely admit to a small ship bias. I feel my mainstream cruising days are clearly numbered.

That main show room/lounge is huge. And I know, from my foray onto the new Princess class a couple of years ago how those multi-station buffets are -- we found ourselves wandering around, never quite sure if we had missed something, even though there is a lot of duplication of stations.

It's just not for me. However, I think it will give HAL a run with the other mass market competitors.