What Criteria Will You Use to Conclude It Is Safe To Cruise Again

pappy1022

Against my better judgement read some of these threads again. I am in the camp that will not cruise until I am reasonably sure that I won't be confined to my cabin should someone bring the virus on board (recognising that could be me as either asymptomatic or presymptomatic).  I am also not comfortable with how the rules about wearing masks in spaces where social distancing was not possible could be enforced when I see comments like "I wear a mask when it is mandatory"

This means that the wearing of masks on ship is mandatory in all public areas full stop not open to interpretation of what spaces are confined by a passenger.  I can see the reviews now. I paid $$$ for this cruise and they asked me to wear a mask. They said it was only in the elevators (well that is what I chose to believe)

I also despair when I see comments belittling the serious consequences of contracting this disease.  Regardless of your level of fitness it can strike you down. 

Really pleased for all of you in communities that have not seen the serious impacts but please don't tell me that the death statistics are fake news manufactured by hospitals trying to make a quick buck and therefore you think that this is a big fuss over nothing and therefore cruising should start just for you.

I also know there are others (like Sheila) who have addressed the risks in a measured way for them and have a far more realistic view in that they will cruise when relevant authorities allow them to. I totally respect that.

Hoping that for all of us cruising will resume sooner rather than later

Stay well all

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Yes!

i would need to see a binding, contractual list of on board regulations before I pay a cent on deposit. And I would need to see the same from the airlines I need to take to get to and from the cruise, and all hotels I would have to visit along the way. Rather short times wearing a mask, we comply with local laws. If there is someplace where wearing a mask would be too long, we do not go there. So if a cruise line requires mask wearing on a cruise when out of the suite, we will not go.and we will not break the rule — we just will not become subject to it. The same for long flights.  Thus, we will not cruise again until masks are not needed in public spaces on ships, in airports, on planes, or in hotels.  

We are not “anti mask”. We are “pro mask”. We have laws around here about that. If there is a situation that requires a mask, and we don’t want to wear one in that situation, we just don’t get into it. But this means neither the cruise lines nor the airlines, nor hotels are going to see any of our Monet anytime soon.airports, 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes!

i would need to see a binding, contractual list of on board regulations before I pay a cent on deposit. And I would need to see the same from the airlines I need to take to get to and from the cruise, and all hotels I would have to visit along the way. Rather short times wearing a mask, we comply with local laws. If there is someplace where wearing a mask would be too long, we do not go there. So if a cruise line requires mask wearing on a cruise when out of the suite, we will not go.and we will not break the rule — we just will not become subject to it. The same for long flights.  Thus, we will not cruise again until masks are not needed in public spaces on ships, in airports, on planes, or in hotels.  

We are not “anti mask”. We are “pro mask”. We have laws around here about that. If there is a situation that requires a mask, and we don’t want to wear one in that situation, we just don’t get into it. But this means neither the cruise lines nor the airlines, nor hotels are going to see any of our Monet anytime soon.airports, 

You have a Claude Monet painting? That's awesome!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2020 at 3:06 PM, Kwaj girl said:

We will wear a mask where mandated but have to chuckle when we see a person ALONE in a car wearing one.  😄

I just posted this same question on FB a few days ago.  And got the same answer.   🙂

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

So if a cruise line requires mask wearing on a cruise when out of the suite, we will not go.and we will not break the rule — we just will not become subject to it. The same for long flights.  Thus, we will not cruise again until masks are not needed in public spaces on ships, in airports, on planes, or in hotels.  

I happened to get mail from KLM the other day, where I went to their website and saw detailed rules and procedures they're putting into place for flights (they fly from Canada, which is allowed.)  They demand that passengers wear masks at all times, in the airport, on board, and while seated.  For long flights you have to change masks every four hours, plus there are guidelines for the handling and changing of masks.  You are only allowed to take them off to eat or drink.  Just trying to imagine wearing a mask for 8 hours on a transatlantic flight, plus all the time in airports.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

9 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I happened to get mail from KLM the other day, where I went to their website and saw detailed rules and procedures they're putting into place for flights (they fly from Canada, which is allowed.)  They demand that passengers wear masks at all times, in the airport, on board, and while seated.  For long flights you have to change masks every four hours, plus there are guidelines for the handling and changing of masks.  You are only allowed to take them off to eat or drink.  Just trying to imagine wearing a mask for 8 hours on a transatlantic flight, plus all the time in airports.

That was a quote by Dolebludger I was replying to - not my words. 😃

55 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Our son and his family just relocated from Germany to South Korea. They had a nonstop flight on KLM from Amsterdam to Seoul. They were required to wear masks during the entire ten hour flight. I doubt they liked it, but those were the rules. I would not voluntarily choose a long distance flight under those conditions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

They were required to wear masks during the entire ten hour flight. I doubt they liked it, but those were the rules. I would not voluntarily choose a long distance flight under those conditions. 

Yeah, exactly.  I'd rather wait for that mythical future where I can at least take off my mask while I'm in my seat (kind of like being in a bar patio right now.)

I can see why airline passengers are required to wear a mask at all times on the plane except when eating or drnking. Mask wearing is only one element of virus prevention The other two elements are maintining distancing and avoiding crowds. Since it is impossible to follow these two other elements on airplanes (and other places too), mask requirments must be strict in order to avoid an outbreak. So we too are avoiding all flights -- long and short. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I can see why airline passengers are required to wear a mask at all times on the plane except when eating or drnking. Mask wearing is only one element of virus prevention The other two elements are maintining distancing and avoiding crowds. Since it is impossible to follow these two other elements on airplanes (and other places too), mask requirments must be strict in order to avoid an outbreak. So we too are avoiding all flights -- long and short. 

We're flying this Sunday....it's going to take a LONG.LONG.LONG time for me to sip my adult beverage onboard 😁

• Like 3

Some statistics may be useful, but I know of one that is worthless. It is the percentage of test results that are positive. Why is this worthless? Well, in my area one can get a test only if they have symptoms (doctor certified), have been exposed to an infected person, or work in the medical field or as a first responder. And I understand that testing in other areas is much the same. Other than for these high risk people, tests are scarce. So it is only natural and expected that testing of nearly only high risk people will show a higher percentage of positive results than if tests were easily available to all the general public. 

In no way do I criticize  limiting tests to high risk people, as there reportedly not enough tests to go around. All I’m saying is that high positive percentages of mainly high risk people is not an accurate indicator of the percentage of people infected in the general population.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

Wendy, perhaps I did. However in TV interviews with some medical experts it was said that the virus picked up from surfaces is no longer thought to be a major factor in its spread. That's why I didn't mention hand washing (more often than normal) as a major factor. But I agree that it remains smart to wash your hands (or us sanitizer) right after touching surfaces in public places.

Our next cruise is booked for Sept 2021 and we won't be cruising before then even if it becomes available. I am hoping that by the time our cruise comes around there will be a vaccine and that cruising will be close to 'normal'. As we cruise for the ports if we can't dock and see the sights then we are less likely to take a cruise. My DH has a compromised immune system and currently taking cancer treatments so he has to be able to take the vaccine and be able to get medical insurance before he can travel again. 

I am hopeful, though i must admit it is getting harder and harder to be so. Here in BC we had things pretty much under control though no less susceptible to the virus and then we went to stage 3 and things have gone to hell.  No bars open, restaurants half full but people partying in large groups spreading the disease around. 

We live in a very popular tourist area and locals and tourists alike seem to believe that COVID 19 doesn't exist any longer. I wait every day to hear that we are back to Stage 2 or even 1 where our borders close again and we are back to not being able to do anything.  I wanted tourism to return for the sake of the economy and hoped that people would be respectful of the virus. I guess the economy has improved slightly with all the people visiting but a definite lack of respect. 

I read every day of people that didn't believe it would affect them, then they got it and they died or became seriously ill with lasting effects.  Apparently many either don't read or listen or still believe it couldn't happen to them. I read on here that people believe that they are so healthy that they could survive it even if they got it and then read about someone that was a fitness and health enthusiast that got it and though they survived have been seriously impacted potentially for life.  No one knows how it might affect them.  You might be fortunate enough that if you get it you are asymptomatic at best or have mild effects but worse case you could die or to me even worse you could spread it to others and kill them. 

I wish everyone good health and that they personally are not affected by this horrid virus.  Stay safe.

• Like 10

On 8/5/2020 at 12:06 PM, Kwaj girl said:

We will wear a mask where mandated but have to chuckle when we see a person ALONE in a car wearing one.  😄

Could have been me you were chuckling at!  Got home from the grocery store and realized I still had my mask on a couple days ago. Think the moral of the story is that after a time masks can become second nature for short periods of time.  Most of us wouldn't give second thought to seeing someone in a car wearing a rain jacket or hat, though it isn't raining in the car.  Takes a bit of time for our perceptions to adjust to the new normal.

• Like 2

1982 CruzStart,

We are booked for September 2021 as well. Ours is on the Splendor London to Barcelona.

How about you?

We  have just been on one Regent cruise on the Explorer and we were hooked on Regent.

We had one cruise canceled in April ( Barcelona to Lisbon) and we canceled one 

going in  September ( Rome to Athens) prior to Regent canceling. So, like so many we are in

cruise withdrawal. That being said , we are blessed  and happy to still be healthy ( and over 70).

We are hoping that by the time September 2021 rolls around ,we can cruise without masks

and social distancing other wise we will not be going. I doubt I am the only one feeling like that.

I fully understand that others may feel differently and that is their choice. We love to travel and enjoy

cruising which is such a relaxing way to see the world. So now I am thinking about plan B if cruising

isn't in the cards for us anymore. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Wendy, perhaps I did. However in TV interviews with some medical experts it was said that the virus picked up from surfaces is no longer thought to be a major factor in its spread. That's why I didn't mention hand washing (more often than normal) as a major factor. But I agree that it remains smart to wash your hands (or us sanitizer) right after touching surfaces in public places.

The main deal with hand hygiene, I believe, Richard, is the fact that we touch our faces a lot, usually.  So hand hygiene has to include washing your hands (for 20 seconds), and training yourself not to touch your face when you're out and about, touching other things.  Even if transmission rates from fomites is low, putting any virus direction into your eye or mouth is not going to be a great idea.