Perth to Sydney 2021

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think they look fine Marion. 

My favourite food at the beach is fish and chips.  However, when I see chips which look like those in the photo, I buy scallops instead.

There is a fish and chip shop at Burleigh which sells fish and chips lunch special for $10. The chips are delicious, hard outside and soft in the centre.  Only small serving, but well worth the drive. 

Edited by MMDown Under

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My favourite food at the beach is fish and chips.  However, when I see chips which look like those in the photo, I buy scallops instead.  

What do you find wrong with them Marion? Maybe I think any bought fish and chips look good at the moment. It's a few months since we've had any mainly due to Covid and our local fish and chip shop closing because of restrictions.

I'm cooking fish of course which has been great but nothing beats a feed of takeaway fish and chips.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What do you find wrong with them Marion? Maybe I think any bought fish and chips look good at the moment. It's a few months since we've had any mainly due to Covid and our local fish and chip shop closing because of restrictions.

I'm cooking fish of course which has been great but nothing beats a feed of takeaway fish and chips.

Leigh

To me the chips look like frozen chips.  Living at the beach, we probably eat fish and chips/scallops once a fortnight.  We then eat them at an outside table, overlooking the water. 

I cook whiting fillets from Sunshine Coast, in breadcrumbs, at home.  I also cook raw prawns in garlic.   

Edited by MMDown Under

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

To me the chips look like frozen chips.  Living at the beach, we probably eat fish and chips/scallops once a fortnight.  We then eat them at an outside table, overlooking the water. 

Many fish and chip shops and takeaways these days use frozen chips, nothing wrong with frozen chips, I use them at home.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Many fish and chip shops and takeaways these days use frozen chips, nothing wrong with frozen chips, I use them at home.

th.jpg

I search out fish shops which sell hand cut chips.  I must be fussier than most. 

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I search out fish shops which sell hand cut chips.  I must be fussier than most. 

Do you ask if they hand cut their chips or use frozen chips before ordering? Otherwise how do you know? I agree with Les, once the chips are cooking in hot oil, it would be hard to detect the difference. I would say most places use frozen chips these days as hand cutting them is very time consuming.

Leigh

A lot depends on how well the chips are cooked. My local fish and chip shop does really great chips. They look no different to those I've seen in other places, and very similar to those in the earlier photo, but they are cooked to perfection. Our fish shop also gives very generous portion sizes, a bit too big for us, but it's almost impossible to stop eating the chips until they are all gone.

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Both the fish & chip shops we use have fresh chips. You can see the potatoes soaking in water. Also a large rack of chip baskets full of chips that are pre-blanched in oil ready for the final crisp up while the fish fries.

Yes that is the best way they are cooked.  All chips used to be fresh chips once, so it is easy to recognise the difference.  A fish and chip shop in Franklin, Tasmania sells sweet potato scallops, as well as potato scallops. 

46 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Do you ask if they hand cut their chips or use frozen chips before ordering? Otherwise how do you know? I agree with Les, once the chips are cooking in hot oil, it would be hard to detect the difference. I would say most places use frozen chips these days as hand cutting them is very time consuming.

Leigh

You can see if they are hand cut.  The process is like Blackduck9 explained.  In addition, they look different and are fatter in shape.  They are often advertised as hand cut, because they are more expensive.  When the children were young, I used to cook my own chunky chips. 

Yes Julie, it does depend how they are cooked. Our local fish and chip shop uses frozen chips, they are blanched/cooked first in oil, drained and then deep fried again when required which is how chips were cooked in the past. Some places only cook them once. I doubt I could tell if they were hand cut or frozen once cooked. They are crunchy/crisp on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. So good and yes the smallest serving is too many for us too! But so good.

I read an article recently about the best way to cook chips and potatoes to use, written by a couple of people in the industry and they said the best chips were frozen Idaho chips from the USA and they listed a few varieties of potatoes potatoes to use. Unfortunately Idaho potatoes don't grow well in Australia, so it not a variety used here. 

Leigh

In a previous lifetime I worked in a fish and chips shop and I can tell you much of the 'good' chipness is the cooking.  The type of oil makes a difference, if the oil is recently changed, the chips cooked in a separate fryer to other fried food and the chips cooked on the spot not sitting in the fryer waiting for the next order.  All things I never thought of before buying chips but make me a fusspot now 🙂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes that is the best way they are cooked.  All chips used to be fresh chips once, so it is easy to recognise the difference.  A fish and chip shop in Franklin, Tasmania sells sweet potato scallops, as well as potato scallops. 

McCain here produce frozen sweet potato chips, not bad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I make my own sweet potato chips or wedges but have had the McCain ones at my daughter's.

Leigh

You must be a handy cook Leigh. going to the trouble of chopping up spuds.  You know what is missing from the shelves these days?  Canned potatoes, just me now to feed and tin of spuds would be handy in the pantry, Edgell used to produce them.  Maybe they all went in the panic buying.

th (2).jpg

Edited by NSWP

36 minutes ago, BrissieB said:

In a previous lifetime I worked in a fish and chips shop and I can tell you much of the 'good' chipness is the cooking.  The type of oil makes a difference, if the oil is recently changed, the chips cooked in a separate fryer to other fried food and the chips cooked on the spot not sitting in the fryer waiting for the next order.  All things I never thought of before buying chips but make me a fusspot now 🙂.

Spot on, my dear nan worked in a fish and chip shop when I was just a nipper, fresh oil, only for the chip pies, twice cooked was the secret. Now my favourite was always so chunky they were almost what we now know as wedges, but the cooking was still the secret.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You must be a handy cook Leigh. going to the trouble of chopping up spuds.  You know what is missing from the shelves these days?  Canned potatoes, just me now to feed and tin of spuds would be handy in the pantry, Edgell used to produce them.  Maybe they all went in the panic buying.

Still see them Uncle Les, in fact a mate recently did a photo shoot for their new label, but I prefer just some baby spuds, cook them skin and all, as you might say Lubbly Jubbly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Still see them Uncle Les, in fact a mate recently did a photo shoot for their new label, but I prefer just some baby spuds, cook them skin and all, as you might say Lubbly Jubbly.

I think all the Caravanners and Motor Home people moving through here purloined them mate, like they do with the UHT milk. Woollies here has not had the tinned spuds for months.  I like jacket potatoes too, the English make real good ones with fillings..had plenty of them in pubs and cafes when I visited merry olde England.  Yes you can get them here too in shopping centre food courts etc.  P & O UK ships put them on too, here is a good one..baked beans and grated cheese. Chili con carne topping is nice too.

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think all the Caravanners and Motor Home people moving through here purloined them mate, like they do with the UHT milk. Woollies here has not had the tinned spuds for months.  I like jacket potatoes too, the English make real good ones with fillings..had plenty of them in pubs and cafes when I visited merry olde England.  Yes you can get them here too in shopping centre food courts etc.  P & O UK ships put them on too, here is a good one..baked beans and grated cheese. Chili con carne topping is nice too.

th (3).jpg

Back when Mrs Gut and I were showing dogs it was a great day if a spud man was set up at a show. I still occasionally whip some up at home, my fave is with ham cheese and pineapple. Yummmmmyy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Back when Mrs Gut and I were showing dogs it was a great day if a spud man was set up at a show. I still occasionally whip some up at home, my fave is with ham cheese and pineapple. Yummmmmyy.

The poms also do them with peeled prawns drowned in what they call 'Rose Marie Sauce' which we call seafood sauce or thousand island sauce.  Nice too, some of the pom spuds are huge though, must be the soil.

th (4).jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

The poms also do them with peeled prawns drowned in what they call 'Rose Marie Sauce' which we call seafood sauce or thousand island sauce.  Nice too, some of the pom spuds are huge though, must be the soil.

Yep when I do that I chuck on some lettuce and chopped celery 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep when I do that I chuck on some lettuce and chopped celery 

Master Chef you are Mr Gut, a little bit of garnish is nice.  I could get you a job on Princess Cruises - Chef de garde.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I don't mind chopping up spuds but I hate peeling them, that's Rob's job.  I have never had tinned spuds Les.

Leigh