Cruises resume from Italy

Arizona Wildcat

MSC has at least 2 cruises. 50% passenger load.  Multiple port stops with disembarking only permitted on MSC tours. One from Genoa and one from Bari.  Only Schengen passport holders for passengers.

Await the results of these cruises.  Thoughts and more details welcomed.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Multiple port stops with disembarking only permitted on MSC tours. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this isn’t done by all lines as they restart.  Gives them control over where passengers go, can avoid crowded markets, museums, require masks, etc and they can generate revenue. 

Is there any mention of MSC’s new onboard rules? I see the 50% capacity but what about masks, dining, shows, etc? 

I never book cruise tours so that one would be difficult for me. Love private tours and exploring on our own. 

Have friends who were scheduled to do the Baltic Sea cruise with Viking this coming October. The cruise itself is a go, unless you're American. Since they live in Connecticut, they have been notified the cruise is cancelled, for them.

24 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

Have friends who were scheduled to do the Baltic Sea cruise with Viking this coming October. The cruise itself is a go, unless you're American. Since they live in Connecticut, they have been notified the cruise is cancelled, for them.

Didn't Viking cancel all cruises through December 31?

• Like 1

Have no idea what the on board protocols are.  Can anyone share any details?  Gonna be interesting to see how this works out.  With the new quarantine regulations between UK and France one can only wonder.

In the article says

For more information about our Health & Safety protocols, click here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even in normal times we wouldn’t cruise with MSC or Costa (also resuming cruising). Many different reasons - some are about quality, some are about their philosophies.

TUI cruises, a joint venture with RCG, were some of the first to start cruising again in July and so far the only line which did so successfully. After their cruises to nowhere, they now also offer “cruises to somewhere“ (Greece). I like their concept and that it has been tried and proven on their previous cruises. Although we usually wouldn’t cruise with them, not so much for quality reasons but for the monocultural aspect, we now have to soothe our craving and actually booked one of those cruises in September. I am  

I will report when we sail.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Friends were notified of cancellation for them before Viking cancelled all cruises.

The point was that the cruise was not "a go" when you posted that information 10 hours ago.  I wanted to clear up any confusion that might have resulted from your post.

27 minutes ago, leck57 said:

MSC...Italy...that will end well.

I hear ya...

However, and that’s not a small HOWEVER, we are in Italy at the moment (Lago di Garda) and we have been to Venice a few weeks ago. We have to say that we have seen tourism here to start very, if not to say “extremely“, disciplined! 
More so than we have seen it in Switzerland and even some places in Germany. Italy has learned the hard way!

Masks are worn, tables in restaurants are set (far) apart, constant sanitizing  etc. etc. 
Even though I am really no fan of MSC, I have to object to the generalization regarding Italy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Is there any mention of MSC’s new onboard rules? I see the 50% capacity but what about masks, dining, shows, etc? 

I never book cruise tours so that one would be difficult for me. Love private tours and exploring on our own. 

This article gives some additional details, although perhaps not as specific as you are looking for:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5504/

It definitely mentions screening prior to boarding as well as continued onboard monitoring (temp checks), social distancing, isolation facilities and enhanced cleaning. It also says that they will follow the EU Healthy Gateways recommendations (summary below), which may give you a better idea:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/

This recommends mask wearing, eliminating use of indoor pools, reduced number of people allowed in the pool, and 5 ft of space between deck chairs. Also no self-serve food and more limited cabin service. The one I hadn't picked up on before (in addition to the mandatory shore excursions) was the fact that they want people to socialize/tour in "age cohorts" -- which seems like something of a logistical nightmare. I'd be curious to see what MSC's version of this suggestions looks like....

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

Click here took me to a video that required a sign-in to view.

if you close de video, appears the text that is in the back:

Find out more about additional Health & Safety measures onboard MSC Grandiosa & MSC Magnifica Summer 2020 Cruises

MSC GRANDIOSA AND MSC MAGNIFICA - IMPORTANT COVID-19 INFORMATION/PRE-BOARDING MEASURES AND SCREENING 

Pre-boarding health and COVID-19 screenings will be conducted to all Guests, crew and ship visitors such as temperature check, health questionnaire, and a COVID-19 swab testing. 

In light of a new ruling by the Italian Ministry of Health that came into place as of 13 August, MSC Cruises confirmed that in addition to the health and safety protocol developed by the Company, all guests that go ashore in Malta or Greece - while taking advantage of the "protected" shore excursions- will undergo an antigen swab test before the return of the ship to Italy. This is in addition to the test that is done prior to embarkation and this testing will be covered by MSC Cruises. This will be implemented on MSC Grandiosa and MSC Magnifica until 7 September.  

Please note that Guests travelling from* countries that are deemed ‘high risk’ by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) will need to take an RT-PCR swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. The test results will need to be presented at the terminal prior to embarkation. The list of high-risk countries based on the guidelines given by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control valid for cruises starting from August 16th/ 22nd** and August 23rd/ 29th is available here. Our Guests are kindly invited to regularly check the list for the latest updates. Guests over 65 years of age or with serious health conditions, are advised to consult a doctor or local health authority for guidance before travelling. Important to note that the test is not required for passengers under 6 years old.

*Includes anyone who has travelled to, from, or through these high risk countries in the past 14 days prior to the ship's departure. These protocols also apply to guests whose nationality or residence is currently in a high-risk country.

** Please note that only for MSC Grandiosa cruises starting from August 16th /22nd Guest that will not be able to do the test their own, will be able to do the test at the terminal. In case of Guest will be able to do the test their own, it will be recognized 50€ ship board credit (not refundable).

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I hear ya...

However, and that’s not a small HOWEVER, we are in Italy at the moment (Lago di Garda) and we have been to Venice a few weeks ago. We have to say that we have seen tourism here to start very, if not to say “extremely“, disciplined! 
More so than we have seen it in Switzerland and even some places in Germany. Italy has learned the hard way!

Masks are worn, tables in restaurants are set (far) apart, constant sanitizing  etc. etc. 
Even though I am really no fan of MSC, I have to object to the generalization regarding Italy.

Have to agree Italy is doing well now re COVID. They were hit hard in March but are working hard to control numbers

of infections. US on the other hand is a completely different story

• Like 2

Just watched the Grandiosa sailaway!!!  So good to see a ship sailing with passengers again...wishing them a successful healthy journey....the whole world is watching, hopefully the only story at the end will be what a great trip it was for everyone!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, paphoslady said:

Have to agree Italy is doing well now re COVID. They were hit hard in March but are working hard to control numbers

of infections. US on the other hand is a completely different story

Agreed ... I would far rather sail out of “Venice" than say ... “Miami"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Even in normal times we wouldn’t cruise with MSC or Costa (also resuming cruising). Many different reasons - some are about quality, some are about their philosophies.

TUI cruises, a joint venture with RCG, were some of the first to start cruising again in July and so far the only line which did so successfully. After their cruises to nowhere, they now also offer “cruises to somewhere“ (Greece). I like their concept and that it has been tried and proven on their previous cruises. Although we usually wouldn’t cruise with them, not so much for quality reasons but for the monocultural aspect, we now have to soothe our craving and actually booked one of those cruises in September. I am  

I will report when we sail.

I agree Miami- I sailed Costa once- and never again. I just thought to try it for myself. I had a great time- don´t get me wrong- but compared with X it failed in many aspects.

Well done- for you trying TUI for yourself. I can´t wait for your report! I am sure you will like it- aside from " Man spricht Deutsch"!

I have an option for October 2nd for a 7 nighter- Fjords again. I am not quite sure yet if I switch it to a permanent booking.