MSC boots Covid rule breakers

BlerkOne

Just now, Florida Paesano said:

Kudos to the cruise line (MSC) for abiding by and enforcing their rules.

That’s one thing that worries me about Carnival, they are terrible at enforcing their own rules (MDR dress code, smoking in non-designated areas including balconies, allowing passengers to save lounge chairs for hours, allowing people with Cheers to share drinks, waiting in ports for over 2 hours for people who are late returning to the ship, etc.): Carnival’s focus on having Fun at all costs and looking the other way when passengers violate their rules will be a major hurdle for them when they resume operations. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That’s one thing that worries me about Carnival, they are terrible at enforcing their own rules (MDR dress code, smoking in non-designated areas including balconies, allowing passengers to save lounge chairs for hours, allowing people with Cheers to share drinks, waiting in ports for over 2 hours for people who are late returning to the ship, etc.): Carnival’s focus on having Fun at all costs and looking the other way when passengers violate their rules will be a major hurdle for them when they resume operations. 

I agree....and that's one of the reasons that I don't think cruising will start here until it's safe.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Two different things - from what I have seen, Carnival is quite serious about enforcing rules

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bowman1 said:

Two different things - from what I have seen, Carnival is quite serious about enforcing rules

You apparently haven’t cruised on Carnival recently (i.e. within the last several years). The examples I previously mentioned I have seen on dozens of Carnival cruises, with the exception of waiting over 2 hours at a port for late returning passengers. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You apparently haven’t cruised on Carnival recently (i.e. within the last several years). The examples I previously mentioned I have seen on dozens of Carnival cruises, with the exception of waiting over 2 hours at a port for late returning passengers. 

Ah, but there is a new normal coming.

• Like 2

I’m very impressed and pleased that MSC stuck to its rules. Good for them. In this time of need for serious precautions they showed these people, and everyone else, that they are indeed serious. That family decided to basically put the future of cruising at risk for their own wants. Bye bye! 

• Like 3

If they were aware of the new rules beforehand, they shouldn't have gone on the sailing in the first place rather than going and breaking the rules. It's incredibly selfish of them. That said, if these will be the rules for when Carnival sails again, I just can't see myself going and will have to cancel my booking. 😞 

I like to get off the ship and wander independently, but I do understand that these new rules are for passenger safety and I have no issue with it. I just personally don't want to cruise until (or if ever) we can get past that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Well stated and I agree it will be a major hurdle for Carnival when operations resume.  Carnival is very negligent about enforcing their own rules.  

Edited by Florida Paesano

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except for the fact that the cruise lines make bank on cruise line excursions so by enforcing this particular policy, they increase profits.  There is no money to be made by enforcing masks

Poppycock. There is a lot of money to be lost if there are C19 outbreaks on the ships. If masks are needed for the CDC to approve cruising, Carnival will enforce or risk losing the ability to cruise in American waters. I think I know what they will choose.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

See Elaine's response. There will be resentment at "forced" excursions. If it keeps all the passengers safe, I'm all for it. If passengers must have private excursions, a resort is another vacation option. 

I agree with Elaine’s idea about doing a land vacation if you want to do your own excursions. 

54 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I don't see a majority of Carnival cruisers adhering to strict Covid rules. I see a revolt instead.

I disagree with this part. If the cruise lines keep enforcing the rules, people will know that if they book a cruise they need to follow them or suffer the consequences.

Yes, probably some people will be angry and say that they won’t book a cruise with Carnival or another line and some might try to break the rules but it is their option. If they book a cruise , they have to follow the rules or choose a different option like do a land vacation, stay home or stay in the ship.

• Like 1

At the moment most Americans cannot take an Air/Land vacation to most of the world because the light is red at immigration. In Europe they have the Schengen Area where 26 countries have abolished internal borders allowing free unrestricted travel between them.  Only persons from those 26 countries were allowed aboard the MSC ship. 

I think the bubble concept is a good one. It is working for the NBA at Disney World, while MLB without the bubble is having a rough time. 

The rule broken by the family may have been inadvertent, but the punishment is required to maintain the bubble concept for the safety of the rest of the ship. I cannot imagine how tour guides keep Carnival groups together at the Vatican without "losing" a few people.

I do see the cynical view that one must purchase a shore excursion from the ship as profit driven, and surely it is, but it is not the sole reason for the restriction. Preventing illness and death is paramount. 

Carnival does enjoy a 40% ROI on the sales of excursions, and if "exclusive excursions" is the route they will follow when they resume operations I can support it. I see the reduced capacity causing a need to increase income to make at least some profit. 

Rules about smoking, dinner dress, and pool loungers are rather inconsequential compared to covid 19 safety rules. So put on your mask (already required mostly everywhere,) maintain social distance, and pay the "two dollars" for safe shore excursions, and let's go cruising. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OceanZena said:

If they were aware of the new rules beforehand, they shouldn't have gone on the sailing in the first place rather than going and breaking the rules. It's incredibly selfish of them. That said, if these will be the rules for when Carnival sails again, I just can't see myself going and will have to cancel my booking. 😞 

I agree, but a reasonable follow up question is if cancelling was given to them as a choice. If you are past final

payment and get a notice a few weeks before sailing of the new rules; and they don’t give you the option to cancel for FCC and/or a refund; they will end up with people who have no intentions of following the rules. That’s not fair to find out at the last minute that there are rules in place that would have stopped you from booking had you known. Hopefully cruise lines will give people the option when they do the final roll out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OceanZena said:

I like to get off the ship and wander independently, but I do understand that these new rules are for passenger safety and I have no issue with it. I just personally don't want to cruise until (or if ever) we can get past that. 

According to the article, it was made crystal clear.  I understand your desire, we do the same all the time, that said, thee are new times.  Until there is total control of this ugly thing,w ended to toe the line, if that means for you to not to cruise, that is fine, better that way than getting kicked off mid cruise.