Oceania App

H0kie76

We just got off the Riviera. Daily menus and Currents are available on the in room TV. I don't recall seeing a QR code for menus at any time but they may have been available. The GDR and specialties had the normal printed menus. QR codes and printed menus were available at restaurants in Rome pre cruise. Since information regarding excursions and specialty reservations is already available online it would be simple to to extend this information to an app for easy access for those who want to use it. Those of us who use apps don't consider them in intrusion, but a normal way to organize our lives. I would assume Oceania will make one available in the future for those who want to use it. Younger cruisers will demand it. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:00 PM, H0kie76 said:

Has anyone heard if Oceania is doing an App soon?  Seems like they could eliminate much of the paper stuff with an app.  They would have to allow Internet to all passengers so they could use the app.  Carnival is using their app to get rid of muster drills, daily agendas and menus in big restaurants.

Excellent question, unfortunately majority of the responses lead me to believe that the posters did not completely understand your question or the reason for it.  Having cruised Celebrity and RCCL since cruising has started again, I have found the apps to be very useful.  A few big areas have been the ability to skip muster drills, quick check-in with vaccination cards, photos, passports all entered into the app, making dining reservations, etc.  With three upcoming Oceania cruises in the next twelve months, the first thing that crossed our minds was ---- why doesn't Oceania have an iPhone app? lol

27 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

Excellent question, unfortunately majority of the responses lead me to believe that the posters did not completely understand your question or the reason for it.  Having cruised Celebrity and RCCL since cruising has started again, I have found the apps to be very useful.  A few big areas have been the ability to skip muster drills, quick check-in with vaccination cards, photos, passports all entered into the app, making dining reservations, etc.  With three upcoming Oceania cruises in the next twelve months, the first thing that crossed our minds was ---- why doesn't Oceania have an iPhone app? lol

Nothing will ever replace what can be learned from a real muster drill. Just watch people tripping over their own life jacket lines during one and you’ll see my point.

As for the rest of the stuff, it’s just a “first world” problem. And O’s website already has a “mobile friendly” version that permits registration, optional purchases, restaurant reservations, et al.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nothing will ever replace what can be learned from a real muster drill. Just watch people tripping over their own life jacket lines during one and you’ll see my point.

As for the rest of the stuff, it’s just a “first world” problem. And O’s website already has a “mobile friendly” version that permits registration, optional purchases, restaurant reservations, et al.

See that I learn something new everyday.  After 60+ cruises I have now learned the purpose of a real muster drill is to watch people trip over their own life jacket lines.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Just not sure why with the Oceania cruise ships docked for so many months, the company did not take the initiative to develop an app since many other cruise lines have done so?  I guess they were too busy making sure I received my weekly mailing of cruises that were not cruising? 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

See that I learn something new everyday.  After 60+ cruises I have now learned the purpose of a real muster drill is to watch people trip over their own life jacket lines.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Just not sure why with the Oceania cruise ships docked for so many months, the company did not take the initiative to develop an app since many other cruise lines have done so?  I guess they were too busy making sure I received my weekly mailing of cruises that were not cruising? 🙂

Perhaps I need to explain the muster item further for you.
The person who experiences the actual challenges of maneuvering along a corridor (or through a group of fellow passengers) with a life jacket on will be far more cognizant of possible issues than will someone watching it on TV. Same goes for practicing the route to muster station and assigned lifeboat

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps I need to explain the muster item further for you.
The person who experiences the actual challenges of maneuvering along a corridor (or through a group of fellow passengers) with a life jacket on will be far more cognizant of possible issues than will someone watching it on TV. Same goes for practicing the route to muster station and assigned lifeboat

Oceania requires each passenger to meet at a muster station, put on their life jacket, and then walk to their assigned lifeboat?  

28 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Oceania requires each passenger to meet at a muster station, put on their life jacket, and then walk to their assigned lifeboat?  

Up to and including our most recent (pre-Covid) cruise in Feb./Mar. 2020, YES.

But, times have changed and I have no idea what they’re doing during the current restart.

On our recent Riviera cruise, we watched the muster safety video either online or in our rooms. This was very similar to the safety videos that we watch on airplanes. After watching the videos we were requested to report to our muster station and confirm with Oceania staff that we understood how to put on and secure our life jackets. They even asked us a couple of questions about buckling and securing the equipment. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Up to and including our most recent (pre-Covid) cruise in Feb./Mar. 2020, YES.

But, times have changed and I have no idea what they’re doing during the current restart.

Thanks.  It has been years since I have cruised with Oceania and I am looking forward to my January cruise.

I cannot even recall the last time, I attended a muster drill that actually visited the actual lifeboat.  
I do recall having the muster drill at the lifeboat years ago,

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

pre covid  you met at the muster station then went to the life boats  on the R ships

The O class ships you met at your muster station

both required life vests

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

They are available on request for Concierge and up.

yes they are offered  but try to get one 😉

so then if they do away with paper menus etc..only those in Concierge & up or if you have your own tablet would be able to order in the restaurants??

19 hours ago, LHT28 said:

so then if they do away with paper menus etc..only those in Concierge & up or if you have your own tablet would be able to order in the restaurants??

We are currently on the Marina and there are no paper menus...menus for all venues are posted outside the restaurants every day, you can use the TV in your room ro view the daily menus for each restaurant and when dining in the GD and specialty restaurants, you are handed a normal menu.    

4 hours ago, basor said:

We are currently on the Marina and there are no paper menus...menus for all venues are posted outside the restaurants every day, you can use the TV in your room ro view the daily menus for each restaurant and when dining in the GD and specialty restaurants, you are handed a normal menu.    

So you are contradicting yourself

There are no paper menus or they give you  menus ??

Pre covid the menus were posted outside the restaurants & on the TV  so that is not new

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So you are contradicting yourself

There are no paper menus or they give you  menus ??

Pre covid the menus were posted outside the restaurants & on the TV  so that is not new

Sorry I was not clear - they are handing you the regular paper menus in the beautiful covers at each restaurant....you were indicating that if you did not have access to a computer, there would be no way to order from a restaurant,.  But obviously you already knew that the menus were available on the TV and outside each venue so not an issue for anyone in any category of suite.  I have not heard anywhere that Oceania is doing away with giving you a menu at each of the restaurants - where did you hear this?

6 minutes ago, basor said:

I have not heard anywhere that Oceania is doing away with giving you a menu at each of the restaurants - where did you hear this?

It is a long thread  but the speculation that O should only use an APP  for menus was discussed  earlier in the thread

I did not have a smart phone so for us it would be an issue  & the discussion went on from there

At this point in time I do not think O is doing away with menus  even during Noro they give paper menus  that are tossed after each use

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 7:08 AM, LHT28 said:

Recently on Kauai, every restaurant we visited had a QR code on the table. It was actually very efficient. Point your phone at it and bingo!

56 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is a long thread  but the speculation that O should only use an APP  for menus was discussed  earlier in the thread

I did not have a smart phone so for us it would be an issue  & the discussion went on from there

At this point in time I do not think O is doing away with menus  even during Noro they give paper menus  that are tossed after each use

Single use menu are becoming less common, but they were wide spread during the first year of the pandemic.  

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Recently on Kauai, every restaurant we visited had a QR code on the table. It was actually very efficient. Point your phone at it and bingo!

Well, not very efficient for those of us who neither have nor want a cell phone.  Apparently, based on earlier posts in this thread, there are many of us Luddites.  

And even if we did have one, I've tried reading a menu on someone else's cell phone ... but only once: squinting and scrolling (especially after a nice martini) are hardly conducive to anticipation of a fine meal.  

I've found that "Excuse me; could you bring us a printed menu?" works every time since the alternative is that we don't order, eat, pay or stay.  They may keep 'em hidden, but they've got 'em somewhere.

• Like 1

Luddites indeed.  But you can you really fight technology and progress?

If not personal super computers in your hand, iPad size devices will be a standard option. 

QR codes and smart devices help readers with vision issues, translate apps, add preparation notes, and provide alternative options, etc. Same with wine selections - accurate availability and selections with dynamic pricing.

No returning servers “I’m sorry, I was just told we’re out of that, what would you like instead?”

The world is getting smaller, times are changing!

Several countries are now instituting Health Passes. You need them to get into the country, enter public buildings, and crowded pedestrian areas. They are apps on your phone! You won’t be able to walk around without your cell phone or tablet! 

This past summer, going into restaurants in France, the French had to “ swipe “ their cell phone over a bar code upon entering. It was for contact tracking in case of a reported infection. Not having the app yet, we had to fill out a form, in the restaurant, giving all our contact information. Next year, we’ll need the health pass & app to enter the country. Going to Chile in two months. We have to have the pass and carry it with us on our phones.

The days of being a Traveling Luddite are nearly over. Travel and Luddite will be mutually exclusive. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

Luddites indeed.  But you can you really fight technology and progress?

If not personal super computers in your hand, iPad size devices will be a standard option. 

QR codes and smart devices help readers with vision issues, translate apps, add preparation notes, and provide alternative options, etc. Same with wine selections - accurate availability and selections with dynamic pricing.

No returning servers “I’m sorry, I was just told we’re out of that, what would you like instead?”

Theoretically true.  I have yet to run across a menu via the QR code and any other AP that actually includes real time data like when they run out of a special.  Nor have I seen very many restaurant systems that allow you to easily order from your phone.

Years ago, I was involved in the testing program when UPC codes were being developed for grocery stores. As you may know the UPC is a unique number for a particular item down to the size.  The information concerning the price is controlled on a computer and not within the code.  The initial thought/hope was the UPC would eliminate the need to put prices on individual items.  Although this would be great for store operations, it was rejected by the consumer.  For the most part individual prices are still marked on each item in a grocery store.  It is still more efficient for scanning at check out.  But the system does nothing to confirm that the price marked on the individual items is what is actually charged, since the price is loaded into the system in the “back office”.

I would guess from my observations that McDonald’s kiosks are not widely accepted by the public.  Got to love the fact, you order and pay at the kiosks, sit down, they bring the order to your table with an empty cup, and then you have to get up and fill your cup with soda. 

The pandemic has certainly enhanced the use of the QR code type menus (I use it a lot) and single use menus.   I do not believe it will permanently eliminate the option of a regular menu when requested.  

Jagoffee;

Of course, the French have their attitudes, but this summer some French restaurants would bring you a printed menu, upon request, and others wouldn’t. The servers would just point at the QR code’s on the table, and this was in upscale restaurants not fast food joints. 

The attempts to make everything as contactless as possible was apparent. Constantly passing, touching, holding of paper menus was deemed unnecessary when other options were made available. Rather Ugly American or Ugly Tourist to go into a foreign country trying to control an Pandemic, by all practical means available, and then try to subvert their health protocols.