CDC drops quarantine recommendation for travel

CDC on travel....

Travel increases your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.

You can get COVID-19 during your travels. You may feel well and not have any symptoms, but you can still spread COVID-19 to others. You and your travel companions (including children) may spread COVID-19 to other people including your family, friends, and community for 14 days after you were exposed to the virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the article: 

With travel restrictions part of the new normal thanks to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has changed its recommendations for quarantine.

The CDC previously recommended travelers quarantine for 14 days after visiting overseas destinations or arriving in areas with a high number of confirmed coronavirus cases, but that changed Tuesday.

From the article as well - I think prudence is still the watchword....

The agency still recommends travelers who visit areas with a high number of COVID-19 cases, attend large gatherings or sail on a cruise ship quarantine for 14 days and get tested for the virus.

• Like 1

I have family in TX and TX is currently a "red state" on the map.   I am still working and employed.  With employers having control over your travel plans now in the US......I hope this is true.   I want to travel to TX to see family, but will have to quarantine for 14 days and this is just one trip!   

How are others still working handling travel within the US?  Now with the holiday's coming up traveling and seeing family is so stressful not knowing. 

I did have my 2020 Carnival Cruise cancelled and I did get a $600 OBC....which is great.   I have to re-book a cruise by the end of 2020 and can book out to 2022 (which is what we are going to do - hopefully things are all straightened out by then).

• Like 1

CDC can recommend but the Governor of each state is making decisions based on what they think is best for their state.  I doubt very much Cuomo is going to drop the quarantine he has in place for the 34+ states and the Virgin Islands, which quite honestly, I'm happy about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But when NY and NJ had high numbers there was a conga line of NY and NJ plates on I95 heading south to Florida when Florida's numbers were low and I doubt most of them quarantined. Same thing in Savannah where I live and Hilton Head when our numbers were low plenty of NY and NJ plates all over. It works both ways

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, njkate said:

But when NY and NJ had high numbers there was a conga line of NY and NJ plates on I95 heading south to Florida when Florida's numbers were low and I doubt most of them quarantined. Same thing in Savannah where I live and Hilton Head when our numbers were low plenty of NY and NJ plates all over. It works both ways

Did Florida and Georgia have a 14 day quarantine order for out of state travellers?

2 hours ago, greykitty said:

From the article as well - I think prudence is still the watchword....

The agency still recommends travelers who visit areas with a high number of COVID-19 cases, attend large gatherings or sail on a cruise ship quarantine for 14 days and get tested for the virus.

I agree. So much of what is published is misleading and the article I linked is no exception. To avoid further confusion,  here is the actual language from the CDC. A quarantine is no longer being required or even suggested for travel. Instead, the CDC is recommending the following more loose guidelines. Unfortunately, cruise ship travel is  still listed specifically as a higher risk activity.

image.png.8fb256faba7dabf904cbf759910f2b73.png

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

CDC can recommend but the Governor of each state is making decisions based on what they think is best for their state. 

This is true, except the CDC specifically governs cruise ships sailings. This change in recommendation from the CDC is a very small baby step, but it's a step IMO :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, electro said:

Did Florida and Georgia have a 14 day quarantine order for out of state travellers?

I believe Florida had a voluntary 14 day one, if it wasn't voluntary no checking was done, certainly no 10k fine that Cuomo threatens with. GA did not have a quarantine, it was just loosely suggested

• Like 1

GREAT News !!! Thank you for the article !!! It is so NICE to see something positive .. So tired of the doom & gloom. 

Still holding out on my 2020 December Encore cruise & still have my Miami Beach vacation as a back up. 

Just GLAD to see a positive post !!! Thank you again !!!!!!😍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

I doubt very much Cuomo is going to drop the quarantine he has in place for the 34+ states and the Virgin Islands

Wait, I'm confused. How does Cuomo have jurisdiction (authority) to impose a quarantine for 34+ states and the Virgin Islands when he is just the governor of the state of NY?

17 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Wait, I'm confused. How does Cuomo have jurisdiction (authority) to impose a quarantine for 34+ states and the Virgin Islands when he is just the governor of the state of NY?

He has jurisdiction over anyone entering NY. So he can say anyone entering NY from these 34+ states have to quarantine when they enter NY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

31 minutes ago, electro said:

He has jurisdiction over anyone entering NY. So he can say anyone entering NY from these 34+ states have to quarantine when they enter NY.

Thanks...I now "see the light", lol. I read it too literally. And it looks like Cuomo identified those 34+ states and the Virgin Islands as being hot spots thus he required quarantine for people entering NY from those states and the USVI.

• Like 1