Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Here are several QV bridge webcam shots of a port not on our unseen ports list. These are all showing the same location captured over several days. It's a bit of a stretch to call this a Cunard port, but we've included a couple others like this.

1552664885_qv1(1).jpg.a675024830760a747f5d6726b77806f0.jpg

332819209_qv1(2).jpg.a3d504c5079334bf702ecbfe5b55a457.jpg

1543953819_qv1(3).jpg.b16b25b73ff84e760f7c8d4fa307dd98.jpg

1747015745_qv1(4).jpg.0576b099487d5def3adc4837b4f58cea.jpg

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here are several QV bridge webcam shots of a port not on our unseen ports list. These are all showing the same location captured over several days. It's a bit of a stretch to call this a Cunard port, but we've included a couple others like this.

Torquay, England?  Just a guess, based on marinetraffic.com's current reported location for QV.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sfred said:

Torquay, England?  Just a guess, based on marinetraffic.com's current reported location for QV.

That's correct. Those QV webcam images actually cover a span of about a month during which I've been capturing them showing QV at Torquay, in anticipation of eventually using them as another new Cunard "port". Torquay will now join Weymouth and Portland as other layup locations on our list. Since QV's webcam has been offline for a few days, I figured now would be a good time to post them.

I thought I recognised the terrain configuration of the headlands shown in the final photo, and the small islet just offshore.  Marinetraffic was also reporting two QV tenders ferrying something(s) or someone(s) towards Torquay.

That gives me an idea for another "Cunard" port, also not on our list of unseen ports.  Here are two public domain photos, the first showing a sunset at the nice part of this port, and the second the not-so-nice industrial part for which it is more known.  I have been to this port on a driving trip, stopping for a coffee and petrol break.  While the port was in one of our early games, a search confirms that it has not yet been seen.

image.thumb.png.a76c52ec17c742d3d8be6b182874ec42.png

image.thumb.png.f5001ddb0f2fd3a3b04df84cc4f4b3f2.png

Ah yes @sfred, those are images of what I suppose we can call the first layup port for any of the Cunard ships during the current suspension of operations. That's Gladstone, Queensland, Australia where QE was for a few weeks during March/April last year before having to give up on her Australia season and moving on to Manila to repatriate crew. It garnered a mention during our "Q" ports game.

• Like 1

I'll contribute this public domain photo of a location on our unseen ports list. It's a place I've visited but not on a cruise and I don't have any photos of my own to post. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see this particular landmark during my visit.

549768926_WhereintheWorld(84).thumb.jpg.ca0dbea96826335a336403a8f386bd31.jpg

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'll contribute this public domain photo of a location on our unseen ports list. It's a place I've visited but not on a cruise and I don't have any photos of my own to post. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see this particular landmark during my visit.

549768926_WhereintheWorld(84).thumb.jpg.ca0dbea96826335a336403a8f386bd31.jpg

@bluemarble - I think that's the SS United States which has been laid up in Philadelphia since 1996 - so I'll plump for Philadelphia 

• Like 1

I've found this photo online of one of the ports on our list, including a corroborative Cunard ship. When using 'stock' photos before I seem to have inadvertently included data which one of our merry group (mentioning no names, @bluemarble) is able to use to identify the port. I've no idea if such data is included with this photo, but no cheating!😀

16904893_1224843150926959_1687420687131924477_o.jpg

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah yes @sfred, those are images of what I suppose we can call the first layup port for any of the Cunard ships during the current suspension of operations. That's Gladstone, Queensland, Australia where QE was for a few weeks during March/April last year before having to give up on her Australia season and moving on to Manila to repatriate crew. It garnered a mention during our "Q" ports game.

Absolutely correct @bluemarble!

1 hour ago, l2luv2cruise said:

Could that be Villefranche-sur-Mer in France?

Sorry @l2luv2cruise, but not Villefranche. The latest list of ports we are trying to identify is detailed in post #3461styled "Ports we haven't seen yet" - kindly administered by @bluemarble . The port photographed appears on that list. Good luck! 

Edited by Palmeat

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Correct, @Palmeat. That is indeed the SS United States laid up in Philadelphia.

A very nice photo too, with the sun reflecting off the side of the ship.  I hope one of the many plans to refurbish her for some productive use can someday happen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Palmeat said:

I've found this photo online of one of the ports on our list, including a corroborative Cunard ship. When using 'stock' photos before I seem to have inadvertently included data which one of our merry group (mentioning no names, @bluemarble) is able to use to identify the port. I've no idea if such data is included with this photo, but no cheating!😀

The ship looks like pre-2017 refit QV, so I tried looking for likely ports in 2013 to 2017 world cruise itineraries.  But I'm afraid I've come up blank on identifying this location.  QV appears to be underway in the photo (there's a slight wake behind the stern), so I could have easily missed a location away from an anchorage or pier.

I have finally dug out and scanned prints of a couple more ports on the list.

I'm afraid the "red shed" picture is the best I could do for this port and I'll be amazed if anyone can identify it. I've only included it to tick-off another port.

045.jpg

046.jpg

18 hours ago, Palmeat said:

@sfred, you were on the right track with your investigation of this photo. This is QV probably during either her 2014 or 2017 world cruise. The Cunard brochures indicate this was a "cruise by" call during those voyages which would explain why she is underway.

I think what we are looking at here is Bounty Bay at an island made famous by a mutiny on a ship by that name. I think this is Pitcairn Island.

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred, you were on the right track with your investigation of this photo. This is QV probably during either her 2014 or 2017 world cruise. The Cunard brochures indicate this was a "cruise by" call during those voyages which would explain why she is underway.

I think what we are looking at here is Bounty Bay at an island made famous by a mutiny on a ship by that name. I think this is Pitcairn Island.

Congratulations @bluemarble (aka Mr Christian!) - it is indeed Pitcairn Island.

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I have finally dug out and scanned prints of a couple more ports on the list.

I'm afraid the "red shed" picture is the best I could do for this port and I'll be amazed if anyone can identify it. I've only included it to tick-off another port.

045.jpg

046.jpg

My track record in identifying ports is poor - particularly when I'm guessing - so I've tried to apply some logic to these photos from @Colin_Cameron. Firstly, the 'red shed' photo looks like somewhere inside the Arctic circle - so perhaps Norway or Greenland? In Greenland they paint their properties to denote the activity within, so yellow for medical, black for police, blue for fish etc - and red for commercial/retail - so this could be an Outlet Mall in Holsteinsgborg (aka Sisimiut)? No?

If not Greenland, then Norway perhaps? There are still 17 unidentified ports in Norway - not all in the far north, but still......... I haven't found an exact match to the photo, but the nearest-looking place is Skarsvag. No?

Turning to the port featuring a cruise ship in port (can't identify which ship), I'll also guess this is also Norway. Again I can't find any matching features but the nearest looky-likey is Kristiansund.

Hoping for the best, yet fearing for the worst, I await your sensitive judgement with bated breath😄

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Firstly, the 'red shed' photo looks like somewhere inside the Arctic circle - so perhaps Norway or Greenland? In Greenland they paint their properties to denote the activity within, so yellow for medical, black for police, blue for fish etc - and red for commercial/retail - so this could be an Outlet Mall in Holsteinsgborg (aka Sisimiut)? No?

Arctic Circle - Yes

Norway - Yes

Greenland - No

Holsteinsgborg - No

No? - Yes 😄

I haven't found an exact match to the photo, but the nearest-looking place is Skarsvag. No?

I can't match the photo either, and I know where to start! It was taken nearly 30 years ago. I'm not sure but I think that may be the ship at anchor in the distance through that V in the rocks.

Skarsvag - No

No? - Correct, it's not.

Turning to the port featuring a cruise ship in port (can't identify which ship), I'll also guess this is also Norway. Again I can't find any matching features but the nearest looky-likey is Kristiansund.

Hoping for the best, yet fearing for the worst, I await your sensitive judgement with bated breath😄

It looks very dull and overcast and I've had to tweek the pic to brighten it, but I remember it as a bright sunny day. My memory is not what it was. (It must have gone looking for my sensitive judgement)

Norway -Yes

Kristiansund - No, I'm afraid not.

That's not bad going. More than 50% right.😄

It's the same ship in both photos. (if that is the ship between the rocks). The cruise line is defunct but the ship is still sailing. I've been on it three times in the last few years.

So, two ports in Norway. One, north of the arctic circle and one not.

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

045.jpg

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

... It was taken nearly 30 years ago. ...

It's the same ship in both photos. (if that is the ship between the rocks). The cruise line is defunct but the ship is still sailing. I've been on it three times in the last few years.

Enough of the buildings in this first photo are still there that it's possible to identify this port. I've used up my guess for identifying ports today, so I'll take on the task of identifying the ship.

I think that ship is currently Balmoral of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines. At the time of this photo (early 1990's), she would have been Crown Odyssey of the now-defunct Royal Cruise Line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Congratulations @bluemarble (aka Mr Christian!) - it is indeed Pitcairn Island.

Darn - I did have Pitcairn Island as a candidate port from the QV itineraries, but when I looked it up on Google Maps, it took me first to Henderson Island which didn't appear to have any buildings or port features.  So I gave up and moved on.  I should have looked at one of the other islands,  Adamstown and the Jetty Harbour.  I now see the concrete pier and the Pitcairn-Mangareva Boat Service building.  Well spotted, @bluemarble!