Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

15 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Arctic Circle - Yes

Norway - Yes

Greenland - No

Holsteinsgborg - No

No? - Yes 😄

I can't match the photo either, and I know where to start! It was taken nearly 30 years ago. I'm not sure but I think that may be the ship at anchor in the distance through that V in the rocks.

Skarsvag - No

No? - Correct, it's not.

It looks very dull and overcast and I've had to tweek the pic to brighten it, but I remember it as a bright sunny day. My memory is not what it was. (It must have gone looking for my sensitive judgement)

Norway -Yes

Kristiansund - No, I'm afraid not.

That's not bad going. More than 50% right.😄

It's the same ship in both photos. (if that is the ship between the rocks). The cruise line is defunct but the ship is still sailing. I've been on it three times in the last few years.

So, two ports in Norway. One, north of the arctic circle and one not.

Thank you @Colin_Cameron - I appear to have swept the board with my researched guesses, but have hopefully narrowed the options for greater minds😀. I'm flushed with unsuccess.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:32 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

045.jpg

Time for me to reveal what I've found for this one. A lot has changed along this waterfront in approximately 30 years, but there is still enough there that's the same to make an identification. I think this is Molde, Norway.

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Thank you @Colin_Cameron - I appear to have swept the board with my researched guesses, but have hopefully narrowed the options for greater minds😀. I'm flushed with unsuccess.

The additional hints your guesses generated did help, @Palmeat. I'm reasonably certain I've also figured out the "red shed" photo. I'll reveal that guess tomorrow if no one else figures it out before then.

• Like 1

Full disclosure - I consulted with Dr. Google this morning and I think, based on his/her advice the Red Hut photo is Mortsund, Norway. Unfortunately I don't see this name in the list of unseen ports, therefore I am probably wrong! I also cannot identify any ports in the vicinity of Mortsund that are on the unseen list. Over to you Bluemarble...

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this is Molde, Norway.

It is indeed. And it is/was the Crown Odyssey  of Royal Cruise Line

53 minutes ago, Starboardhome said:

Full disclosure - I consulted with Dr. Google this morning and I think, based on his/her advice the Red Hut photo is Mortsund, Norway. Unfortunately I don't see this name in the list of unseen ports, therefore I am probably wrong! I also cannot identify any ports in the vicinity of Mortsund that are on the unseen list. Over to you Bluemarble...

Now I’m really impressed! You’ve done 99% of the hard work here. If I’m standing at the Lofoten Seafood Centre in Mortsund, and that is the ship between those rocks, what village (on the list) is she anchored off?

Just noticed that there are two places on the list very close by, and the cruise pier for one is actually closer to the others and probably also behind the rocks in the photo. Does this one pic cross off two places on the list?

1 hour ago, Starboardhome said:

17 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It is indeed. And it is/was the Crown Odyssey  of Royal Cruise Line

Now I’m really impressed! You’ve done 99% of the hard work here. If I’m standing at the Lofoten Seafood Centre in Mortsund, and that is the ship between those rocks, what village (on the list) is she anchored off?

Just noticed that there are two places on the list very close by, and the cruise pier for one is actually closer to the others and probably also behind the rocks in the photo. Does this one pic cross off two places on the list?

That's excellent work @Starboardhome. I hadn't identified the precise location of the photo as Mortsund. I had only deduced the port after suspecting the photo was the Lofoten Islands and finding old Crown Odyssey itineraries that go there.

The port I figured is one that shows up on early to mid 1990's "North Cape & Fjords" itineraries for Crown Odyssey. Those itineraries also include Molde, Norway from the first photo.

That port is only a few miles to the northwest of Mortsund. But then as @Colin_Cameron has mentioned there's another Lofoten Islands port on our unseen ports list not far to the north of Mortsund. So perhaps we can indeed cross off two places on the list with this one photo.

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

it’s an island.  you can see the Southern Cross at night. EM

Unfortunately I'm still lost.  I've looked at all of the southern hemisphere unseen ports with "Island" in their names, but must have missed something.  I'm fairly certain it is not any of the three remaining unseen islands in Australia (Hayman, Low, and Orpheus). 

16 minutes ago, Starboardhome said:

I think it may be Rarotonga!

That's a very likely guess, @Starboardhome.  I thought so too, based on recent port calls from QV.  But I couldn't find any location in google maps that matched.  I'm sure I've just missed somewhere.

Rarotonga -  does not have an island in its name

Rarotonga - is part of a nation of islands (Cook Islands)

Rarotonga -  you can see the Southern Cross (in the night sky)

Therefore my guess for today is.........  Port Moresby, Papua, New Guinea!

It does not have an island in its name

It is part of a nation of islands

You can see the Southern Cross in its flag

On 7/7/2021 at 6:32 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

046.jpg

To put the finishing touches on this one, I figure this photo represents Crown Odyssey at Gravdal, Norway on the Lofoten Islands. Gravdal appears on several itineraries for Crown Odyssey during the 1990's.

The dock for Leknes, Norway, the other Lofoten Islands port on our list, is so close to Gravdal that it ought to be behind the hills toward the right of this photo as @Colin_Cameron has suggested. That works for me to count this one photo as adding both Gravdal and Leknes to our list of Cunard ports seen on this thread.

• Like 2

I'll add this public domain image today. This is another location on our unseen ports list I've visited but don't have my own photo to post. Not much of the port itself in this image to work with. The key will probably be to identify the ship and work from there.

50350474_WhereintheWorld(85).jpg.fcadcfc05872c3fa16008b0a34472d06.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, Essiesmom said:

It does not have island in its name.  It is part of a nation of islands.  EM

That implies Indonesia.  Unfortunately there are 18 unseen ports in Indonesia on the list.  I glanced through all of them (admittedly without a thorough search in each one), but could not find an exact match.  The closest I could find to the general terrain was Bitung, so I'll submit that as my guess for the day.

Palmeat - I do believe your two images are of UK ports. The first is Workington in Cumbria. The attractive area it provides a gateway to is the Lake District. The second is Holyhead in Wales, gateway to Snowdonia (now officially known by its Welsh name Yr Wyddfa) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Palmeat said:

ImageGen.ashx.jpeg

Since this photo of Holyhead has been identified, I'll take on the task of identifying the ferries in the photo.

Furthest left appears to be Irish Ferries Ulysses. The red funnels behind Ulysses probably belong to Stena Lines Stena Adventurer. Both of those ferries currently operate on the Holyhead-Dublin route.

It was more of a challenge to identify the ferry to the right of center. That one appears to be the former Stena Lines HSS Explorer which I've learned used to operate a fast ferry service between Holyhead and Dun Laoghaire which ended in 2015.

2 hours ago, Starboardhome said:

Palmeat - I do believe your two images are of UK ports. The first is Workington in Cumbria. The attractive area it provides a gateway to is the Lake District. The second is Holyhead in Wales, gateway to Snowdonia (now officially known by its Welsh name Yr Wyddfa) 

Well done @Starboardhome. You are correct on both counts : Workington in Cumbria, England - gateway to The Lake District and Holyhead on the island of Anglesey in North Wales. I had thought these places might have lasted a bit longer, so congratulations.

Here's somewhere on the list I have visited on business (but not as a tourist or aboard a cruise ship). Once again, no photos of my own. An interesting port of call for a Cunard ship!1750330092_PortofSheerness(PeelEnergy).thumb.png.ddcf953f91f772b60dbe035003310b6e.png

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Here's somewhere on the list I have visited on business (but not as a tourist or aboard a cruise ship). Once again, no photos of my own. An interesting port of call for a Cunard ship!1750330092_PortofSheerness(PeelEnergy).thumb.png.ddcf953f91f772b60dbe035003310b6e.png

A sunny warm winter Sunday morning dawning here in Brisbane, so a new turn in CruiseCritic.  This is Sheerness England.  I trust that all the cars at the BCA yard aren't waiting for an imminent  Cunard arrival.  🙂