Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

This one is on the current list, the only one remaining I can fulfil from my own collection.

In the spirit of the thread, I’ve redacted the lettering on the arm of each crane because it proclaims the location.

CA159486-D203-4523-BE5B-425B6C91ED12.jpeg

2 hours ago, Yaldi said:

This one is on the current list, the only one remaining I can fulfil from my own collection.

In the spirit of the thread, I’ve redacted the lettering on the arm of each crane because it proclaims the location.

CA159486-D203-4523-BE5B-425B6C91ED12.jpeg

I'm getting a good match to these cranes at Sokhna, Egypt. And that appears to be a Cunard ship in the photo as well (QM2).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm getting a good match to these cranes at Sokhna, Egypt. And that appears to be a Cunard ship in the photo as well (QM2).

Yes on all counts. 🙂 I’ve attached the original for the record.

To complete the narrative the photograph was taken on Queen Mary 2 during the evening of the call in Sokhna 18th April 2012.

85C0ADDF-943B-4045-BE54-600574015717.jpeg

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Another place I've been to, but by train from London. Cunard has taken me nearby, however.

IMG_1629.JPG.bc794d151357dc53fa173968bc92addc.JPG

I think this is Syracuse, Sicily (not the one in New York to revive that joke).

The closest I've been to this port was also on a Cunard cruise. That was a shore excursion to Taormina from Messina during a QE cruise.

It is indeed Syracuse, a truly fascinating place with a church that is actually a Greek temple. We went by train in 1980, when there was no tunnel: it took two days, but was a wonderful experience. I have been to both Catania (a dump) and Messina with Cunard, and certainly one of those calls offered a trip to Syracuse.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In 2008, on her final visit to this area, QE2 was supposed to make a maiden call at this place. Despite having more than a year's warning that she would need a tug, they failed to organise one. So we didn't go.

IMG_1634.JPG.314fa06533befd90d95b970d4bb78e18.JPG

Grundarfjordur, Iceland, perhaps?

The last several port photo contributions have been lighthouses, so I will continue that theme for this unseen Cunard port.  The lighthouse and radar structure is a short drive on an unsealed dirt road from the port and town.  Photo is from wikimedia commons, but I have been to the lighthouse to watch the sunset before staying overnight in the town.

image.thumb.png.e9fff05ebf250e75bf9cfc5a2fbe53c0.png