Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

While we are wracking our brains about Norway, here is a very old postcard, clearly showing a Cunard sail by, which I gather at the time was a frequent occurrence. It is also a route many of us will have followed on cruises, though not mentioned as a sail by. No points for the ship, by the way.

IMG_1659.thumb.JPG.1c3ac9c1bd6675768ac73f3280fe096b.JPG

I think I found this one. I began by looking at the Isles of Scilly and around Land's End which were only suggestive of this scene. Then the name "Longis" seen in the text on the righthand page sent me to a different location.

The caption on a matching postcard I subsequently found reads 'Arch Bay, Alderney with R.M.S. "Queen Mary".' A further description of the postcard dates it to the early 1960s.

42 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Merok, Norway? The waterfall appears to be ‘The Suitor’ the more famous mentioned is ‘Seven Sisters’ in Geirangerfjord. Internet searches for Merok seem to tie both Geiranger and Merok together so will go with that as my guess.

Well done identifying the waterfall as the Suitor and the location of my photo as Geirangerfjord.

It looks like you've uncovered a flaw in my unseen ports list though. Merok, Norway made that list by virtue of being listed in several itineraries for RMS Caronia found on the "caronia2.info" website. Upon further review, it does indeed appear that Merok is synonymous with Geiranger. I'll remove Merok from the unseen ports list as a duplicate.

The location I'm looking for starts a similar distance in the other direction from the Suitor and the Seven Sisters waterfalls. Fell free to amend your guess because of that inaccuracy in my unseen ports list.

36 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think I found this one. I began by looking at the Isles of Scilly and around Land's End which were only suggestive of this scene. Then the name "Longis" seen in the text on the righthand page sent me to a different location.

The caption on a matching postcard I subsequently found reads 'Arch Bay, Alderney with R.M.S. "Queen Mary".' A further description of the postcard dates it to the early 1960s.

Very good. It is indeed the delicious and underrated island of Alderney. Apparently, until they moved the shipping lanes, the liners used to pass very close, and the pubs would all post lists of what was passing when. Nowadays, many of us have been on cruises that call at St. Peter Port, and hence pass one side or ther other of the beautiful island.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well done identifying the waterfall as the Suitor and the location of my photo as Geirangerfjord.

It looks like you've uncovered a flaw in my unseen ports list though. Merok, Norway made that list by virtue of being listed in several itineraries for RMS Caronia found on the "caronia2.info" website. Upon further review, it does indeed appear that Merok is synonymous with Geiranger. I'll remove Merok from the unseen ports list as a duplicate.

The location I'm looking for starts a similar distance in the other direction from the Suitor and the Seven Sisters waterfalls. Fell free to amend your guess because of that inaccuracy in my unseen ports list.

So are we at Sunnylvsfjorden?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So are we at Sunnylvsfjorden?

Yes indeed, we have arrived at Sunnylvsfjorden, Norway, one of the cruise-by calls often listed on Cunard itineraries with calls at Geiranger.

Those original public domain photos were difficult to find because they aren't in any of the usual places such as Wikimedia Commons. They can be found in the photo archives of the Nasjonalbiblioteket (the National Library of Norway) at "www.nb.no".

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, bluemarble said:

Thank you for the explanation, I’m pleased I identified the waterfall. 

On 9/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, exlondoner said:

Very good. It is indeed the delicious and underrated island of Alderney. Apparently, until they moved the shipping lanes, the liners used to pass very close, and the pubs would all post lists of what was passing when. Nowadays, many of us have been on cruises that call at St. Peter Port, and hence pass one side or ther other of the beautiful island.

How interesting. Had a couple of holidays in Alderney, it was always warm and sunny but perhaps that’s just a childhood impression. Remember visiting Arch Bay but the classic Cunard liners had retired by then.

Would be a nice alternative to St. Peter Port if it was possible to land there from a large vessel, not that there is anything wrong with Guernsey.

• Like 1

Inspired by @bluemarble's recent 1930s historical Norway photos, here is a 1938 public domain photo of a popular tourist destination on our unseen ports list.  The quality of accommodation has improved over the years, as evidenced by the second photo in more recent times.

I've not been to this exact island, but I've been to adjacent ones in the collective name for this area that is used in current Cunard itineraries, and is already on our "seen" list.

image.png.4367cfe8d2f4ce3887ff4aa60644c604.png

image.thumb.png.54abae847ff556d364f9b2c5189ef1ea.png

13 hours ago, sfred said:

Inspired by @bluemarble's recent 1930s historical Norway photos, here is a 1938 public domain photo of a popular tourist destination on our unseen ports list.  The quality of accommodation has improved over the years, as evidenced by the second photo in more recent times.

I've not been to this exact island, but I've been to adjacent ones in the collective name for this area that is used in current Cunard itineraries, and is already on our "seen" list.

image.png.4367cfe8d2f4ce3887ff4aa60644c604.png

image.thumb.png.54abae847ff556d364f9b2c5189ef1ea.png

This is Hayman Island, Queensland, one of the Whitsundays. It's on our Cunard port list because @Colin_Cameron found a call there by Sea Goddess II.

Picking up on your hint regarding my photos of Sunnylvsfjorden from the National Library of Norway, the first photo is found on the website for the State Library of Queensland (slq.qld.gov.au). It's titled "Beach chalet on Hayman Island, 1938".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This is Hayman Island, Queensland, one of the Whitsundays. It's on our Cunard port list because @Colin_Cameron found a call there by Sea Goddess II.

Picking up on your hint regarding my photos of Sunnylvsfjorden from the National Library of Norway, the first photo is found on the website for the State Library of Queensland (slq.qld.gov.au). It's titled "Beach chalet on Hayman Island, 1938".

Hayman Island is correct, well done.  The beach "chalet" (a rather generous term) looks to have been the best asbestos fibre walled, corrugated iron roofed accommodation available in 1938.  Things have improved considerably since then.  The wife and I did a daytrip to the adjacent Hamilton Island during our stay in Airlie Beach this past Christmas 2020.

Hayman is a rather small island, and these days the Cunard Queens anchor off of Airlie Beach, and offer excursions to the various islands in the Whisunday region.

• 10 months later...

At long last, we may have a new unseen port for our "Where in the World?" game.  Here is a webcam briefly capturing a Cunard ship arriving this morning.  I tried to get a bridgecam capture from the Cunard web site, but all three ships' bridgecams appear to be unavailable at the moment.

It may be debateable whether this precisely qualifies as an unseen port.  The port is nearby (although separate by around 10km) from an already seen Cunard port in the game.  I'll welcome a ruling from our participants.

I will provide the attribution source for the webcam once the port is successfully identified.

image.png.a91b8c2243fd2cd28684f49431c6a39f.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 4

I'm glad to see this game is back too. I won't spoil it for others who want to give this one a try, especially those who may not have seen this game yet. I've found the webcam but the ship isn't in view anymore. That was good timing of you to get that shot as the ship was arriving, @sfred. I don't know what I'm doing up at 3:00am my time, but then that never stopped me before when it comes to this game, has it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now that it's been 24 hours since @sfred posted the image of a new Cunard port, I'll go ahead and identify it. Several others have figured out this latest port image based on the clues provided. It is of course Mekjarvik, Norway where QV ended up yesterday instead of docking in nearby Stavager as originally planned.

The image @sfred posted is from the "Fv. 521 Mekjarvik FK" webcam found here on the "Statens vegvesen" (Norwegian Public Roads Authority) website.

https://www.vegvesen.no/trafikkinformasjon/reiseinformasjon/webkamera/#/vis/366183

As your unofficial / self-appointed moderator of this thread, my view is that Mekjarvik should count as a new port to be added to our master list of Cunard ports seen on this thread. We have several other cases of pairs and even triples of nearby places that have made our list so far. Here are some I recall.

Gydansk/Gydnia, Poland
Rostock/Warnemunde, Germany
Puerto Moin/Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
Puerto Caldera/Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Colon/Cristobal, Panama

Fuerte Amador/Panama City/Balboa, Panama
Homer/Katchemak Bay/Cook Inlet, Alaska

That gets us to 571 ports seen on this thread. It's now time for me to attach the updated list of ports we've seen on this thread and the list of Cunard ports we have not yet seen on this thread.

Where in the World 2022-08-20.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2022-08-20.txt

I'd like to encourage everyone to post images you have of any of the ports on the list of ports we have not seen yet. As best I can recall, here are our informal "rules" for what we will accept for images, in order of preference.

1) A personal photo of the port showing a Cunard ship or taken from a Cunard ship.

2) A personal photo of the port without any connection to a Cunard cruise.

3) A webcam image of the port showing a Cunard ship or from a Cunard ship.

4) A personal photo showing the community or the surroundings near the port.

5) A public domain image of a port you have visited but you don't have your own photo.

As you can see, we have become quite generous with what we will accept as an image of a Cunard port to keep this game going. Please take a look at the list of ports we haven't seen yet to see if you have images of any of those ports to contribute to this thread.

I'd also like to encourage you to contribute images you have of ports we have already seen on this thread if you feel they may offer a unique perspective of the port or an interesting challenge in identifying the port. There are many ports we have seen multiple times on this thread.

Let's keep this game going!

• Like 2

Here's a webcam image I'll contribute of a port we've already seen on this thread. It's one I intended to post on the ship's current "location" / "position" thread. But I didn't allow enough time to get permission to post the image from the site hosting the webcam until well after the ship had departed. Here's an opportunity to give that webcam image the light of day.

Where in the world is this and which Cunard ship is it?

893243231_WhereintheWorld(96).thumb.jpg.8f581d2e8b6cc9d413e801d8d20fe433.jpg

7 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm going to guess that's Queen Victoria in Olden, Norway 

That's correct. That's an image of Olden, Norway captured from the Vestland - North webcam found on the windy.com website. It's showing QV's recent visit there on 17 August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Now that it's been 24 hours since @sfred posted the image of a new Cunard port, I'll go ahead and identify it. Several others have figured out this latest port image based on the clues provided. It is of course Mekjarvik, Norway where QV ended up yesterday instead of docking in nearby Stavager as originally planned.

Correct in all respects, well done @bluemarble.!  Congratulations also to @Essiesmomand others who similarly connected the webcam photo from the Mekjarvik ferry car park to the posting by @2BACRUISERabout QV's port change.

Although Mekjarvik is close to Stavanger, it is around 10km away and we do have precedent in the game for counting nearby distinct ports as separate entries.  Some examples are Bayonne, Brooklyn, and Manhattan in NY/NJ, and also Hamilton, Royal Navy Dockyard, and St. George's in Bermuda.

Of the 571 total ports identified so far in the game, 33 are in Norway, the third highest country behind only the US at 53 (of which 19 are in Alaska) and the UK at 44.   Hopefully we will soon have port 572 from @Host Hattie's contribution.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

This is definitely stretching the definition but at least it's my own photograph 

I'm far from sure, but I'll try a guess of Isle of Mull, Scotland?  There's some google maps photos of rocky beaches that might be a rough match to your photo.