Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

This looks like QE2's at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in New York.

Correct, extra points for the pier number.

We were due to go to Brooklyn, but half way across the Atlantic, we were given the good news that our dock had been changed to Manhattan.

Lanky Lad's photo of QE2 in Manhattan yesterday is a perfect segue into this post of mine. I had been planning to post this today since it was captured exactly six years ago today.

This is obviously the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, so no need to answer what port this is. But try to answer this question instead.

What is significant (for the Cunard ship) about this scene from the "PortNYWebcam.com" webcam on September 27, 2014?

image.png.6abd012bb690e1dfd108a695e735c765.png

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

What is significant (for the Cunard ship) about this scene from the "PortNYWebcam.com" webcam on September 27, 2014?

Wild guess: The last time she docked there?

Of course September 27 is the launch date of the Queen Elizabeth, but there is no relation to this scene as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'm digging deep into my webcam archives to find this one. This may be tricky to some, but I figure it will be easily recognizable to others as well. Name the port and the specific location where this webcam was located.

I'm guessing it's Hythe Pier near the port of Southampton.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Underwatr said:

May I play? 🙂

qm2.thumb.jpg.5bbec4485b73e8264b146af2f060ad51.jpg

Welcome to the game, Underwatr.

That's outside Charlotte Amalie at St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.

I'm a bit puzzled as to while QM2 is at anchor. Were there so many ships there on this occasion that Havensight and Crown Bay were both full?

On 9/27/2020 at 4:29 AM, carlmm said:

One more for the classic question: Where in the world?

quest4ba.png

I'm been working on this one. I'll go for the ship spotting points and say that's QV and the tall ship is Sea Cloud. I've been comparing Sea Cloud's current itineraries to where QV has called in the past, but haven't come up with a match yet.

Maybe it's time for a hint on this one.

44 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm been working on this one. I'll go for the ship spotting points and say that's QV and the tall ship is Sea Cloud. I've been comparing Sea Cloud's current itineraries to where QV has called in the past, but haven't come up with a match yet.

Maybe it's time for a hint on this one.

You already got the bonus points for naming both ships!

I'll post  a full size photo of the Sea Cloud with a closer look to the town in question in the back ground.

quest4unte.jpg

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Welcome to the game, Underwatr.

That's outside Charlotte Amalie at St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.

I'm a bit puzzled as to while QM2 is at anchor. Were there so many ships there on this occasion that Havensight and Crown Bay were both full?

I recall reading somewhere that QM2's draft is too deep for the Havensight facility at St. Thomas.  Perhaps Crown Bay was occupied, leaving the only alternative to anchor and tender. 

3 hours ago, sfred said:

I recall reading somewhere that QM2's draft is too deep for the Havensight facility at St. Thomas.  Perhaps Crown Bay was occupied, leaving the only alternative to anchor and tender. 

Every Christmas the itinerary for St. Thomas says "Tender Possible." This year one of RCCL's megaships occupied the Crown Bay berth that we usually moor at, so we were at anchor that day. It meant I had to cancel a planned scuba dive leaving out of Coki Pint across the island (couldn't guarantee an early enough tender) so instead I spent the day in Charlotte Amalie and took the sky ride for the view.

I have no idea about QM2's draft vs the depth at Havensight, but one data point is that there were no ships berthed at Havensight the day that we lay at anchor. 

havensight.thumb.jpg.4f8eae8f4f1ceee08cee0919adb883c0.jpg

This link says "Deeper draft ships such as Queen Mary 2... are required to dock at Crown Bay."
https://visitstthomas.com/cruise_ships.html

Edited by Underwatr