Avocado Guacamole Class

Is this new?  I just noticed an "Avocado Fiesta Guacamole Class" in my cruise planner for my Harmony cruise.  Don't remember seeing that before.  I thought perhaps it's a Harmony thing since it has Sabor but it's also offered on my Freedom cruise  (but not on Anthem).  Could be fun.

• Like 1

At first I read that as "class" as in passenger class like first class or second class.  I am sure it's better service and accommodations than Bean Burrito Class.

But I would sign up for that class in a second. Hope they have decent chips.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Is this new?  I just noticed an "Avocado Fiesta Guacamole Class" in my cruise planner for my Harmony cruise.  Don't remember seeing that before.  I thought perhaps it's a Harmony thing since it has Sabor but it's also offered on my Freedom cruise  (but not on Anthem).  Could be fun.

It was fun - I did it on Allure a couple of years ago. The lunch was delicious.  Just understand that unlike the sushi class, this is a simply a demo and a chef prepares the guac in front of everyone.

17 minutes ago, mek said:

It was fun - I did it on Allure a couple of years ago. The lunch was delicious.  Just understand that unlike the sushi class, this is a simply a demo and a chef prepares the guac in front of everyone.

Thanks for clarifying.  I would have assumed everyone gets to participate and make their own.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

At first I read that as "class" as in passenger class like first class or second class.  I am sure it's better service and accommodations than Bean Burrito Class.

Unfortunately I have been on some ships where certain areas smelled like Bean Burrito Class. 💩☠️

• Haha 3

We thought it sounded like fun also but as some said you cannot make it yourself.  On Liberty in March the person in charge had a guest come up and make the guac and then a different guest made the drinks.  They did give you the recipe for everything but not as much as fun as you making it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How much does it cost? Is it under excursions. I'll go look for it.

Look under. onboard activities.  About $35 on Harmony. Includes a Tequila tasting and lunch at Sabor. A little pricey but HEY your on vacation and it is something to do. happy cruising.

We did the guacamole class in October of 2017 on the Freedom and enjoyed it.  We made our own guac.  It was not made in front of us.  The margaritas, however, were made in front of us.  Here is that portion of my review:

Monday, October 30, 2017 (Day 9)

Sea day.  We had pre-booked the Sabor guacamole class and lunch.  Although we arrived at 11:00 a.m., which was on our receipt as the start time, the restaurant told us it was actually scheduled for 11:30 a.m.  So we tried to get espresso in the diamond lounge but were met with typical long lines again.  Our Sabor class was fun, and lunch was delicious, as were our homemade guacamole, the margaritas and the dessert sampler.  Although the description of this class stated that each person would receive an avocado cutting tool, this was not accurate and we ended up buying the tool for $15. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

yes, we did the guac class on the Harmony in April 2018 and we did make it ourself.  It also included a tasty Sabor lunch.

Wonder if they changed it, or you got lucky as sounds like for most, it was watching.  Your experience seems fun.

They use the words observe and watch, seems like only watching these days. Pandemic cut backs, a Avocado per person would break the bank. 

OVERVIEW

Become a green, mean guacamole machine and observe the step-by-step process of preparing this renowned avocado-based staple just like we do at Sabor. Then enjoy an authentic lunch paired with a margarita or Mexican beer.

MORE INFORMATION

• Watch the step-by-step preparation and secrets in making authentic Guacamole.
  • You will also enjoy a sip of three Tequilas to gain knowledge of their history and how they can be infused into our signature Margaritas.
  • At lunch time experience the fresh made Guacamole, Salsa's and a Chef selected lunch menu featuring Sabor's most popular dishes. Buen Provecho!
  • Haha 1

For those that want to participate, feel free to come to my house.  I will be happy to provide all of the ingredients for everyone to make their own version for about $10/person and the necessary instruction.

In all seriousness making quac is relatively simple and the ingredient list is relatively short.

Most important is making sure the the avocados are properly ripe.  I.E. not too hard but not too soft.

After that you would need a lime for the juice, a bit of chopped fresh jalapeno, a bit of chopped white onion, some chopped plum tomatoes.   And cilantro.  And then a bit of salt.

Instead of the jalapeno, I sometimes substitute several dashes of hot sauce.

It is all about balance and the flavor profile you enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatour said:

For those that want to participate, feel free to come to my house.  I will be happy to provide all of the ingredients for everyone to make their own version for about $10/person and the necessary instruction.

In all seriousness making quac is relatively simple and the ingredient list is relatively short.

Most important is making sure the the avocados are properly ripe.  I.E. not too hard but not too soft.

After that you would need a lime for the juice, a bit of chopped fresh jalapeno, a bit of chopped white onion, some chopped plum tomatoes.   And cilantro.  And then a bit of salt.

Instead of the jalapeno, I sometimes substitute several dashes of hot sauce.

It is all about balance and the flavor profile you enjoy.

I make guacolmole a lot or what I call it. I like regular tomatoes in mine, a avocado and some pace salsa and i use garlic salt. Or whatever else i have on hand. Add crispy chips to dip and eat. The salsa works for me to replace your onions and jalapenos. I love avocados. Not sure I would pay much to watch someone else make it. 

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I make guacolmole a lot or what I call it. I like regular tomatoes in mine, a avocado and some pace salsa and i use garlic salt. Or whatever else i have on hand. Add crispy chips to dip and eat. The salsa works for me to replace your onions and jalapenos. I love avocados. Not sure I would pay much to watch someone else make it. 

You need a slight ingredient change... Leave out a O and add a little A.. happy cruising

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but do they do this class on Symphony?

Look at the current sailing in the app - it may list such an activity.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

P.S. You might get more feedback if you post during daylight EST hours.

Edited by Biker19

On 8/25/2020 at 7:58 AM, PelicanBill said:

But I would sign up for that class in a second. Hope they have decent chips.

SAME! 🤣

On 8/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Look under. onboard activities.  About $35 on Harmony. Includes a Tequila tasting and lunch at Sabor. A little pricey but HEY your on vacation and it is something to do. happy cruising.

I was thinking that was vastly overpriced to learn to make something as easy as guac; I mean, it's just mashing up some veg ... but if it includes a tequila tasting and a lunch, that's a decent price.  

On 8/31/2020 at 8:35 PM, gatour said:

Agree.  I make excellent guacamole.  Here's my recipe:  

- 1 avocado, ripe enough to feel soft when you squeeze it, but no brown spots 

- 1 lime

- 1 Roma tomato 

- 1-2 scallions 

- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic 

- Salt & pepper to taste 

Use a fork to mush the avocado in a bowl.  Squeeze the juice of the lime over the avocado and mush again (this prevents browning).  Chop and stir in the other items.  Serve immediately -- in addition to being good on tortilla chips or tacos, it's excellent on a hamburger.  This does not store well.  

And I didn't charge you $35.  

• Haha 1