Passport vs DL

11 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, I saw something first hand, an issue with a passport name not matching a name on their computer

Quite lacking in detail here.  When disembarking for a port visit there is no computer check.  When disembarking at the end of the cruise there is no computer check (except verification that the passport handed over matches the info that comes up with the RFID scan, info which would only be updated if you tell the State Department of a name change).  

Was this at embarkation?  Is it possible the person was booked under one name but their passport was a different name?  The OP clearly indicated their passport and cruise booking match.  Were you privy to the exact details of that passport and computer name not matching or were you an eavesdropping bystander in an adjacent line? 

Edited by hallux

44 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, I saw something first hand, an issue with a passport name not matching a name on their computer

The name probably didn't match on the computer because they booked with the maiden name and had ID with the married name or they didn't have a passport and the woman's birth certificate had the the maiden name and she didn't have the marriage certificate to match the last name on the DL with the photo ID.

We carry both Passports and drivers licenses when cruising. Once on the ship our Passports are locked away in the cabin safe. We take only our DLs with us while in port, unless we are advised to take our Passports. All our info matches each different document. 

Edited by davekathy

On 9/1/2020 at 8:05 AM, hallux said:

But, again, the name the cruise is booked under would need to be updated.  Any flights might also need to be updated.

But then everything will have the current name, so NO chance of needing the ID to match and have the wrong ID at the time.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, nascarcruiser said:

I sent mine in at that same time and am still waiting.   I'm hearing about 8 weeks from most people 

GUESS WHAT!!!  I got my renewed passport today, 14 days.  I sent it on August 18 and got it today Sept 2.  Hope you get yours soon!!  But, oh well, its like being all dressed up and nowhere to go!!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I think we are WAY past the “do I need a passport”. If you test positive for COVID, you will be removed from the ship. I don’t think you then want to figure out how to get home.

I submitted my passport in June, while there was a lot of back up. Took about 8 weeks. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon so I wasn’t upset with the turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 9/1/2020 at 6:01 PM, grapau27 said:

Countries in the European Schengen zone can cross land borders with a Schengen visa but at sea everyone is asked to produce passports.

Your comment about "at sea" is correct.   On land there are normally no border checks or visas required between Schengen zone countries.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, denatravels said:

I think we are WAY past the “do I need a passport”. If you test positive for COVID, you will be removed from the ship. I don’t think you then want to figure out how to get home.

I submitted my passport in June, while there was a lot of back up. Took about 8 weeks. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon so I wasn’t upset with the turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It might change some people's minds about whether or not to get a passport. I would still encourage people to consider their risks and use the documentation that best suits their travel needs and of course they need to consider the risk from COVID. I don't think it's an automatic "you will be removed from the ship if you test for COVID" because the country the ship is in may not allow it. In any event under those circumstances the cruise line would be helping to repatriate you (if nothing else they need to explain to CBP why passenger X who embarked at Port Y will be returning by air to airport Z and they would have to do that even for passport holders). (And if you are removed from the ship you are likely going to be quarantined for a while before you are allowed to proceed anywhere.) Different people will look at the risks differently, just as before.