Passport vs DL

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

In the UK and Europe a passport is vital,no one shows a driving licence.

Passport must match name on the booking so you will be fine.

Graham.

I think she is talking about cruising from US ports where you don't need a passport for visiting Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexican /Hawaiin ports.  When you return to the ship the local authorities may ask for picture ID and your boarding pass only to get in to the port area, they never ask for a passport.

Edited by M&A
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, M&A said:

I think she is talking about cruising from US ports where you don't need a passport for visiting Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexican /Hawaiin ports.  When you return to the ship the local authorities may ask for picture ID and your boarding pass only to get in to the port area, they never ask for a passport.

I thought that might be the case.

In Europe Passports are mandatory.

19 hours ago, Annicruise2014 said:

Can you board with just a passport or is a drivers license required ALSO?

Cruise booked last year 2019

got married 2020

DL has married name

Passport has maiden name

Can I just board with my passport and maiden name? I'm afraid of wait times with getting a new passport. Covid and all messing things up

Yes, you can board with just a passport.

Congratulations!

Yes, you can board with your passport and maiden name if booked that way.

Just my opinion: Unless you are cruising any time soon, I would go ahead and apply for a new passport...and change your name with the cruise line (and other places).  Again, Congratulations!

18 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Are they? It was my understanding that residents of one EU country could travel to another EU country without needing passports.

They are for us in the UK traveling to EU,US,UAE etc.

Countries in the European Schengen zone can cross land borders with a Schengen visa but at sea everyone is asked to produce passports.

My main point was DLs unless you are hiring a car are insignificant for non US citizens.

Edited by grapau27

1 minute ago, torpeedo said:

That's good news.  They did cash my check so at least it was accepted.  Fingers crossed!!

A friend sent his in at the end June and got it mid August and my uncle sent his first of July and is supposed to have this week.   So I am hoping end of October early November if not sooner.   Their open inventory is dropping so that is encouraging 

• Like 1

@Annicruise2014

When is your cruise and where do you sail from?

If you have to fly from a US airport to another US airport your DL should get you on the plane in your married name, and your passport on the cruise in your maiden name.

But if there is a foreign airport involved- even Canada- and you have to fly to/from that city, there could be a major issue for you if your airline ticket is in your married name and your passport is not.

If you are on one of the first cruises permitted to set sail then waiting to apply for a passport in your married name makes sense.  

Have you called RCCL to ask how easy it is to change your name on the cruise reservation? If it's not a problem to do so, and your cruise isn't until 2021, I would suggest applying for a passport in your married name ASAP.

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

It is required by law to use your legal name and if the name was changed legally, the passport would be out of compliance.  

It is nowhere near as simplistic as you state. 
What “law“ are you referring to? (There is no way any one law is going to cover all the possibilities)
Define “legal name”

Define “name was changed legally”.

What does it it even mean that a passport is “out of compliance”? Compliance to what?

In most US states the name on your birth certificate would be your legal name to start with, but names can change in many ways. Most places allow you (whether male or female) to change your name upon marriage or other circumstances with generally no notification to any government agency. The only requirement generally is that you use the name regularly in a non-fraudulent manner. Some state require you to inform some government agency or go to court to change your name, but many areas allow wide latitude as long as it is non-fraudulent. Many people have two names that they do indeed use in a non-fraudulent manner as it is more and more common to have one name used socially and another name used professionally. 

Edited by TravelerThom

2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

It is 100%  it's not needed. So for what?

1) If she loses her passport and has to return on her DL

2) If she gets in legal trouble and questions get raised about the name inconsistency

3) Because the passport agency recommends it 

56 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

It is nowhere near as simplistic as you state. 
What “law“ are you referring to? (There is no way any one law is going to cover all the possibilities)
Define “legal name”

What does it it even mean that a passport is “out of compliance”? Compliance to what?

In most US states the name on your birth certificate would be your legal name to start with, but names can change in many ways. Most places allow you (whether male or female) to change your name upon marriage or other circumstances with generally no notification to any government agency. The only requirement generally is that you use the name regularly in a non-fraudulent manner. Some state require you to inform some government agency or go to court to change your name, but many areas allow wide latitude as long as it is non-fraudulent. Many people have two names that they do indeed use in a non-fraudulent manner as it is more and more common to have one name used socially and another name used professionally. 

American travelers are required to travel with a passport that has their current legal name.  If you change your name by marriage, you must apply for a passport name change before travel......from the web-page.  YOu are talking about state laws, but this is not a state law, it is national ID, and you use it to enter countries.  If it is no longer your name, you very well could be in some trouble, depending on where you are.  So, the sound advice is to fix the passport and follow directions with the passport agency, and not cruise critic.  I don't even know what the big deal is.  Get married, change all the ID's you have that are government issued to your new name. 

36 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

American travelers are required to travel with a passport that has their current legal name.  If you change your name by marriage, you must apply for a passport name change before travel......from the web-page.  YOu are talking about state laws, but this is not a state law, it is national ID, and you use it to enter countries.  If it is no longer your name, you very well could be in some trouble, depending on where you are.  So, the sound advice is to fix the passport and follow directions with the passport agency, and not cruise critic.  I don't even know what the big deal is.  Get married, change all the ID's you have that are government issued to your new name. 

So how on earth could any woman travel on a honeymoon if all of the arrangements were made prior to marriage? You can't get a passport with the new name until you receive the marriage certificate.  I have been married twice and on a cruise for both honeymoons. Both women were booked with their maiden name and used their DL as ID. Neither had a passport at the them and we both brought our birth certificates.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

27 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I will ask precisely the same questions I asked before. As far as I can tell you answered none of these questions. Can you answer even one of the questions?

What “law“ are you referring to? (There is no way any one law is going to cover all the possibilities)
Define “legal name”

According to you, no person who is planning on changing their name upon marriage can go on a honeymoon outside the US until they have applied for and waited perhaps months for a new passport. REALLY? Sort of kills the honeymoon business. 

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

American travelers are required to travel with a passport that has their current legal name.  If you change your name by marriage, you must apply for a passport name change before travel......from the web-page.

I checked the passport agency’s website today, and you are dead wrong. In fact, it covers the exact situation we are discussing. Please be careful when giving people such advice. 

9 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Nope,  totally wrong.

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

They are for us in the UK traveling to EU,US,UAE etc.

Countries in the European Schengen zone can cross land borders with a Schengen visa but at sea everyone is asked to produce passports.

My main point was DLs unless you are hiring a car are insignificant for non US citizens.

And my point would be that, like those in the Schengen zone who can travel sans passport under certain circumstances, US citizens may travel without a passport (and using other documentation) to neighboring countries/regions under certain circumstances (for instance, traveling on a closed loop cruise). 

14 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I checked the passport agency’s website today, and you are dead wrong. In fact, it covers the exact situation we are discussing. Please be careful when giving people such advice. 

Well, I saw something first hand, an issue with a passport name not matching a name on their computer.....and really, I don't care what others do.  But someone wants to take a chance, go for it.  In the mean time, I won't have an issue.  You are dealing with multiple countries, huge amounts of different laws, and the only safe thing is to match.....Anything else, will always have a risk.