Passport vs DL

Can you board with just a passport or is a drivers license required ALSO?

Cruise booked last year 2019

got married 2020

DL has married name

Passport has maiden name

Can I just board with my passport and maiden name? I'm afraid of wait times with getting a new passport. Covid and all messing things up

15 minutes ago, Annicruise2014 said:

got married 2020

DL has married name

Passport has maiden name

Can I just board with my passport and maiden name? I'm afraid of wait times with getting a new passport. Covid and all messing things up

The important part here is what name is the cruise booked under?  Your Travel docs have to match the name that is on the booking invoice.  If your PP is in your maiden name and your cruise is booked under your maiden name, all you need is your PP

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Annicruise2014 said:

yes, 

cruise was booked with maiden name.

passport has maiden name

DL has new married name

In the UK and Europe a passport is vital,no one shows a driving licence.

Passport must match name on the booking so you will be fine.

Graham.

Passport is king.  The only time you need a DL on a cruise when you have used a passport to board would be to rent things like a car, ATV, jet-skis, etc.  Even then some places don't ask for the DL.

If you rent jet-skis at CocoCay or Labadee the excursion will be in your maiden name based on cruise booking.  They do ask for your DL so I'm not sure what they'd do if you presented your DL with new name.

Would never travel without a passport.  I take my DL when we go out to the islands, Passports stay in the save.  I have a copy of our passports on our phone and a hard copy that I take on the islands with us.  But never take my passport off the ship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annicruise2014 said:

yes, 

cruise was booked with maiden name.

passport has maiden name

DL has new married name

You are all good, only passport is needed to check-in.

I would recommend not changing your passport until after your cruise - cruise booking name is a pain to change.

Start the process to get your passport updated TODAY. You said your cruise papers are in your maiden name and so is your passport, so you are good to board the ship.

You may run into trouble at the airport or trying to rent a vehicle, so get the two IDs matched up ASAP.

Edited by Showme72
grammar

40 minutes ago, Showme72 said:

Start the process to get your passport updated TODAY. You said your cruise papers are in your maiden name and so is your passport, so you are good to board the ship.

You may run into trouble at the airport or trying to rent a vehicle, so get the two IDs matched up ASAP.

why?

59 minutes ago, Showme72 said:

Start the process to get your passport updated TODAY.

Why is that, again?

1 hour ago, Showme72 said:

You said your cruise papers are in your maiden name and so is your passport, so you are good to board the ship.

Correct, but if she starts the process to update her passport that will no longer be the case!  If she starts the process to update her passport, wouldn't she be surrendering her current passport to then be sent a new one with her married name which would then NOT match her cruise docs and cause her trouble?

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

Why is that, again?

Correct, but if she starts the process to update her passport that will no longer be the case!  If she starts the process to update her passport, wouldn't she be surrendering her current passport to then be sent a new one with her married name which would then NOT match her cruise docs and cause her trouble?

Exactly. She should do nothing until after cruise

• Like 4

It's taking months to get a new passport and there are zero cruises sailing so if it were me,  I would send in my passport right now and get a new one with her correct name.  If, for some amazing crazy reason, you sail in 2020, use the birth certificate.

I just sent mine in for renewal and not worried about the time frame receiving it as we sail January 2021...hopefully.

9 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

It's taking months to get a new passport and there are zero cruises sailing so if it were me,  I would send in my passport right now and get a new one with her correct name.  If, for some amazing crazy reason, you sail in 2020, use the birth certificate.

I just sent mine in for renewal and not worried about the time frame receiving it as we sail January 2021...hopefully.

If the OP did that, then she'd have to change all of her air and cruise names. Why bother with all of this if it's not necessary?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Why is that, again?

You are correct, I meant to say that she should start the process to update her Passport as soon as she gets back from the cruise. I have attempted to delete my previous post. When dealing with airport or other security, it is best if all your papers match. She won't have an issue on the ship as long as she has her Passport.

Thanks for catching my error.

9 hours ago, hallux said:

Why is that, again?

This is correct. Leave the passport alone until after the cruise.

When you re-board in the port you will need to show ID to re-enter the port area. I've never noticed them checking the ID and the cabin card that closely but if the names don't match it could cause an issue. Since your driver's license and your cabin card will have two different names you might want to consider taking your passport ashore to avoid that. 

14 hours ago, Annicruise2014 said:

got married 2020

DL has married name

Passport has maiden name

What name is the cruise booked with? That's the ID you will need. 

13 hours ago, Showme72 said:

If the flight is booked with the maiden name than she could use the Passport as ID. If it's booked with the married name than the DL can be used. They have suspended the Real ID requirement due to covid.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

14 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Now might be a good time to renew the passport though.  No ships are sailing for a while.

But, again, the name the cruise is booked under would need to be updated.  Any flights might also need to be updated.

15 hours ago, torpeedo said:

My daughter’s boyfriend applied in June, was told he might get it back the end of December. My daughter applied in July, so glad their study abroad in New Zealand in January was canceled.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I agree she doesn't need new passport.  Do want to say that newly submitted passport renewals are being done in about 3 weeks.  Dh sent his july 27th. New passport back in 3 weeks. 

I sent mine in at that same time and am still waiting.   I'm hearing about 8 weeks from most people