The Daily for Sunday Sep 20, 2020

richwmn

Good morning and thanks for The Daily.  

The sky is finally clearing in my area and we can see clouds again!  The birds are chirping and the other creatures are out roaming. I actually saw a skunk yesterday morning in the light of day which is unusual. They sure are cute critters but stinky.  

I'm pretty sure I inserted my foot in my mouth on Friday. So, I am still learning that lesson. 

Hope everyone has a great day! I’m looking forward to having my windows open and breathing some fresh air. 

• Like 9

Good morning/afternoon fellow posters who keep this friendly thread a happy place.  Thanks to the researcher (Rich) and the list keeper (Roy).  Although I enjoy daiquiri, I am not sure I would try a banana one as I do not like ripe bananas and I would fear that is what would be used.  It's a meatloaf kind of day with leftovers I hope.  DH will take over the kitchen to prepare today's dinner.  Lots of shout outs on Roy's list!  I sincerely hope that everyone heedS the advice from the health authorities.  Here in Canada our numbers are going the wrong way and it is very distressing and depressing.  A huge shout out for the Covid 19 researchers worldwide!  Have a great Sunday.

• Like 11

Good morning, all!  Things are clearing up here too,  There is a weak sun shining into my kitchen, and a faint outline of the Olympics on the horizon.  I will be checking up on the bees.  I gardened for a couple of days during the week, and ended up with a scratchy throat as well as  eyes, so I wondered if I was coming down with something, but now I think it was all just the smoke.  Evidently birds have been dropping dead, as their little lungs can't cope with the smoke, and there has been no birdsong for the same reason.  I do hope things will continue to clear, and the birds and bees will return.  There is a flock of sandhill cranes that have appeared out of the smoke, having lost their way on their migration south, and all the birders in town are going out to see them in Metchosin.  It's a crazy world in 2020!

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@kazu

Jacqui hope all is well & you are just busy preparing for Teddy. Hoping the anti-virals have helped. The other Ann.

Thanks for asking.  The anti virals have helped although my back wasn’t in the mood to do what we are doing but we have no choice.  You’re guess is right.  We are getting ready for Teddy and I am taking a very well deserved break for a few minutes.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Thank you; I'm sorry, I haven't had enough of my morning coffee yet - I could have looked that one up myself, couldn't I?  *shakes head* 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

At least you were awake enough to realize the greek alphabet doesn't start with Beta. That is a point in your favor. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning (and in my case) afternoon smile 😄 

Love that quote.  I might be very well cooking a pizza - but not for dinner tonight but to have in case we lose power when Teddy arrives.  We do have a generator but not enough circuits to run the stove.  The microwave does work though 😉 

I think we’ll be sticking with wine tonight.  No idea what we will be eating tonight.  It depends on how much energy I have left after today.

We started preparing for Teddy yesterday.  It takes a lot of time due to my foolishness of having so many planters and hanging baskets and DH’s ornaments.

The frost has only damaged the hanging baskets a bit but they are certainly showing their wear so I didn’t see the point in trying to save them in the garage (and a number of things might have to go there) and trying to put them back up for a matter of a week or two 😞 

We have all of these taken down and put away - these are just a few of them.  So sad to see empty deck walls and railings

D8D8E0E2-E0DD-4969-86F5-241000C8D415.thumb.jpeg.090173de59ae137d1930423eed79278b.jpeg

73D3335D-1448-48F1-98E6-5BDD8ACC58F3.thumb.jpeg.772f63949ad2dc5468aba3c0e2f61094.jpeg

BA2C9ACF-B891-469E-BF35-4F355FD45AFB.thumb.jpeg.c2c19e100a8934a3c9f6bd2afc350d88.jpeg

A5001987-54C0-4E54-982D-0697D59E7E2D.thumb.jpeg.2081370fe04529ad55dcecdec1c5ae33.jpeg

D41010E3-6F2C-47B9-B3EE-61AED0F63207.thumb.jpeg.4f366340bd070169cfb029cb0fbe3cea.jpeg

And all the hanging baskets are down and in compost with the begonia bulbs labelled and saved.  They’ll be in the house for a few days until the threat is over and put outside during the day to dry.  Breaks my heart to do it but we have no choice.  Hanging baskets are a huge risk. A last peek at a few of the hanging baskets.  R.I.P.

2796E232-D87E-4D75-B14B-2F067828BB36.thumb.jpeg.1ce12ae7fe7a3d557f4e3802f4933d7d.jpeg

C6156F36-9A31-4A61-9ADE-5DD6882CCCF8.thumb.jpeg.0ab6722a0165f039add3c5ea79fd19ea.jpeg

I hope these make it through Teddy along with my dahlias (which we still have to move and tie down.

2401C67F-137C-4007-B0EB-C5E2FB325115.thumb.jpeg.e47e0ad3b35389cc8afbb3bbf772046f.jpeg

2AA778D0-FB47-47E9-BBE7-C37981EC7067.thumb.jpeg.e245791e97a8bcf5bf546c4c19bbae70.jpeg

Now, to try to catch up with all of you before I bite the bullet and head back out to work.

My back is mad at me and sadly, I can’t put my patches on it that always help because of the shingles, but we’ll manage 😉 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and a toast to everyone on his celebration list.

Enjoy your Sunday all.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  I like today’s quote.  Chicken is on the menu for today.  Today we celebrate A birthday.  Tucker turns 9.  He is such a handsome boy. 

AD4522FC-FC89-46BB-BFF4-9D70D968320A.jpeg

Ahh happy birthday Tucker.  He is one handsome boy and I think he knows it 😉 

• Like 4

Thankful today for everyone who contributes to this thread and to finally see the sun!  

@Vict0riann  so sad about those birds and how far off course the cranes are. What a year in so many ways.  We have been wondering why there has been no bird song.

A year ago today on-board the Koningsdam, a lovely sunset. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3f663432a78f95c4230acb76ecb33218.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks to all for the most uplifting spot on the internet!  Prayers for all on the care list and toast to all celebrating.  Hope Teddy and Beta behave and don’t cause havoc.

In the last three days I have gotten to attend an outdoor wine tasting with a musical group and an outdoor dinner with a musical group.  We are lucky in that our county is in the third phase of re-opening, so while the weather is still decent there have been some ticketed events set up.  Surely helps the “cabin fever” and gets people out in a cautious way.

Have a wonderful Sunday and stay safe.

• Like 6

Yes, @bennybear, sad about the birds - I just went outside, and the aster is overflowing with busy bees, trying to make up for lost time, I guess.  I saw an Oregon junco, too in my flowerbed.  Hope more birds will appear.  The only ones we have seen in any quantity for the last 10 days or so have been the hummingbirds - for tiny birds, they must have amazingly huge lungs.  You would not have known there was smoke, they were buzzing around and squabbling over the feeders as normal.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, kazu said:

We have all of these taken down and put away - these are just a few of them.  So sad to see empty deck walls and railings

D8D8E0E2-E0DD-4969-86F5-241000C8D415.thumb.jpeg.090173de59ae137d1930423eed79278b.jpeg

73D3335D-1448-48F1-98E6-5BDD8ACC58F3.thumb.jpeg.772f63949ad2dc5468aba3c0e2f61094.jpeg

BA2C9ACF-B891-469E-BF35-4F355FD45AFB.thumb.jpeg.c2c19e100a8934a3c9f6bd2afc350d88.jpeg

A5001987-54C0-4E54-982D-0697D59E7E2D.thumb.jpeg.2081370fe04529ad55dcecdec1c5ae33.jpeg

D41010E3-6F2C-47B9-B3EE-61AED0F63207.thumb.jpeg.4f366340bd070169cfb029cb0fbe3cea.jpeg

And all the hanging baskets are down and in compost with the begonia bulbs labelled and saved.  They’ll be in the house for a few days until the threat is over and put outside during the day to dry.  Breaks my heart to do it but we have no choice.  Hanging baskets are a huge risk. A last peek at a few of the hanging baskets.  R.I.P.

You have such a green thumb and I am so jealous. I think your flowers and decorations are beautiful but I believe that your deck (patio) would be fantastic even when it is completely bare.

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 1

Good Sunday evening. I hope that everyone is well. I'm just checking in. Thanks Rich for the Daily. And for the Care List, Roy. We had roast beef and roasted veggies for supper. There is enough for leftovers tomorrow. Love the quote!

11 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  I like today’s quote.  Chicken is on the menu for today.  Today we celebrate A birthday.  Tucker turns 9.  He is such a handsome boy. 

He is a beautiful boy! Happy Birthday, Tucker!

9 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great saying for today - because sometimes my mouth gets going ahead of my brain. . .   DH ordered a banana daiquiri a few years ago, tasted it and said "You know what I don't like about this banana daiquiri?  The banana."  I ended up drinking it.

I'm with your husband, Gerry! I love bananas as a fruit and no other way! Not even banana bread!

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all!  Things are clearing up here too,  There is a weak sun shining into my kitchen, and a faint outline of the Olympics on the horizon.  I will be checking up on the bees.  I gardened for a couple of days during the week, and ended up with a scratchy throat as well as  eyes, so I wondered if I was coming down with something, but now I think it was all just the smoke.  Evidently birds have been dropping dead, as their little lungs can't cope with the smoke, and there has been no birdsong for the same reason.  I do hope things will continue to clear, and the birds and bees will return.  There is a flock of sandhill cranes that have appeared out of the smoke, having lost their way on their migration south, and all the birders in town are going out to see them in Metchosin.  It's a crazy world in 2020!

Oh, Ann! I am so sorry to hear about the birds. Just another casualty of the wildfires. It is a crazy, and sad, world here in 2020. We had our second indoor Church service today, with a few parishioners joining via Zoom. What was really hard was that one of the parishioners lost her husband this week. The urge for hugs was strong, but almost everyone held back. I don't like this part of 2020. 😢

Be well, everyone! Stay safe! Be kind! Wear a mask!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

You have such a green thumb and I am so jealous. I think your flowers and decorations are beautiful but I believe that your deck (patio) would be fantastic even when it is completely bare.

Thank you but a bare deck is somewhat depressing to me 😉

the dahlias will be saved if possible and maybe my Mexican planter (in the garage).

Everything else had to go and it’s just too soon to do this.  Depressing for us 😞 

I don’t have a green thumb at all.  I just plant and they grow.  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good Sunday evening. I hope that everyone is well. I'm just checking in. Thanks Rich for the Daily. And for the Care List, Roy. We had roast beef and roasted veggies for supper. There is enough for leftovers tomorrow. Love the quote!

He is a beautiful boy! Happy Birthday, Tucker!

I'm with your husband, Gerry! I love bananas as a fruit and no other way! Not even banana bread!

Oh, Ann! I am so sorry to hear about the birds. Just another casualty of the wildfires. It is a crazy, and sad, world here in 2020. We had our second indoor Church service today, with a few parishioners joining via Zoom. What was really hard was that one of the parishioners lost her husband this week. The urge for hugs was strong, but almost everyone held back. I don't like this part of 2020. 😢

Be well, everyone! Stay safe! Be kind! Wear a mask!

Csn you post if you get some feedback on people who joined you via zoom.  I'm wondering how it works in a setting with an in person service.  I've experienced both live stream and Zoom worship and felt more like a participant rather than just a spectator when on Zoom.  I'm wondering how it works in your setting.

Roy

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Csn you post if you get some feedback on people who joined you via zoom.  I'm wondering how it works in a setting with an in person service.  I've experienced both live stream and Zoom worship and felt more like a participant rather than just a spectator when on Zoom.  I'm wondering how it works in your setting.

Roy

Our church has done both live stream  and zoom.   Not sure how it works  to Combine in person with zoom.  Our church is waiting until we all can go back.  We are having the same issue with book club.   Some want to meet in person which has worked this summer but I fear we will have to use zoom again this winter.  Grateful for technology that helps but some members are unwilling to try zoom.  Crazy times! 

@kazusorry you have this to deal with on top of anything else.   The season is so short, and provides so much solace that this makes it just so difficult!   Hope the meds will help Soon!  Stay safe! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our church has done both live stream  and zoom.   Not sure how it works  to Combine in person with zoom.  Our church is waiting until we all can go back.  We are having the same issue with book club.   Some want to meet in person which has worked this summer but I fear we will have to use zoom again this winter.  Grateful for technology that helps but some members are unwilling to try zoom.  Crazy times! 

@kazusorry you have this to deal with on top of anything else.   The season is so short, and provides so much solace that this makes it just so difficult!   Hope the meds will help Soon!  Stay safe! 

I picture a webcam focused on the pulpit sending the service out and a monitor in the sanctuary with the images of the remote worshipers but wonder how it can really work.

Roy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Happy Birthday Tucker,  you are a handsome fellow.

Who is the other cat behind Tucker?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good Evening.

When I glance out at the sky it looks normal.  No sign of smoke.  I am hoping this is a good sign for those effected by the forest fires south of us.

Tonight I opened a bottle of Mission Hill's Gewurztraminer.

I am looking forward to skies returning to this bright summer photo taken a few years ago.

19983496_10213275338543206_6056535584097060549_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=ZNjIMFOFHDQAX--jAN4&_nc_oc=AQlthq0E7d1wnDROhMWQWpOi-UI9R1b9laVtNyN2Qu2q00QcL3Ex78_rI42xa6vA6XA&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=3288f3516cd5fc5295c51dae9408c9e5&oe=5F8BF90A

Val

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I picture a webcam focused on the pulpit sending the service out and a monitor in the sanctuary with the images of the remote worshipers but wonder how it can really work.

Roy

Our pastor has posted photos of the congregation in the pews.  Such strange times! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1