The Daily for Monday Sep 21, 2020

richwmn

today is International Peace Day, Miniature Golf Day, and World Gratitude Day

Johnson's Corollary:
    Nobody really knows what is going on anywhere within the organization.

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Steak Bruschetta Salad

Drink of the Day - Miami Vice

Wine of the day - Matervini Malbec Luján de Cuyo Finca Perdriel vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Westerdam destination Southampton, Great Britain eta 9/23

At Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Willemstad eta 9/25

At Sea Mediterranean Sea
Noordam destination Valletta Malta eta 9/24

Balboa Panama Anchorage
Koningsdam

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam at dock Ijmuiden
Volendam
Zaandam appears to be at shipyard

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

0921World.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the daily, Rich.  We certainly need Peace and Gratitude, and Miniature Golf is a great form of relaxation.  Love the quote and steak.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Those still affected by smoke and wildfires

Birds and bees in polluted air-

The Gulf Coast and Georgia after Sally

Those in the path of Teddy

Texas with Beta approaching

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front line health workers

Himself and my healing (I normally sleep about half the night on each side.  For 2 nights I was unable to sleep on the left side but did last night.  Still a bit sensitive but mostly ok now)

Mask makers

Continued clearing in the Northwest and British Columbia

Schitt’s Creek, Succession, Watchmen

Ravens, Bears,Rams,Cowboys,Steelers,49ers,Browns, Buccaneers, Titans, Packers, Bills, Colts, Chief, sand Seahawks

Seasick Sailor’s door

9 years for Tucker

Pelicaan Bill and the Hurricane Zone on Cruise Critic

and memories of the four ships leaving the fleet

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich, Roy, and daily-ites.  Peace and gratitude.....really needed in todays climate.  Used to love to play miniature golf.  Steak sounds good.

Miami Vice: 

Ingredients

• 2 ounces rum, divided
  • 1 cup strawberries, chopped with stems removed
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 2 ounces cream of coconut
  • 2 ounces pineapple juice
  • Garnish: pineapple slice

Steps

1. In a blender, add 1 oz rum, the strawberries, the lime juice, the simple syrup and 1 cup crushed ice and blend until smooth.

2. Pour into a hurricane glass and set aside in the freezer.

3. Wash and dry blender thoroughly.

4. In the clean blender, add 1 oz rum, the cream of coconut, the pineapple juice and 1 cup crushed ice and blend until smooth.

5. Pour into the hurricane glass that already contains the Strawberry Daiquiri mix.

6. Garnish with a pineapple slice.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 11

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Peace and Gratitude - two very invaluable things that we need to spread everywhere.

Love today’s quote 😄   The meal suggestion is a good one but we actually had that last night, so I guess we were a day ahead 😉 

@Crazy For Cats - don’t feel bad about turning on the heat.  I had to do that yesterday morning for a bit.  It was just too COLD again here 😞. I don’t remember ever turning on the heat in September 😱 

We will have our 4th frost warning in a row tonight 😞 

@rafinmd thanks for including Schitt’s Creek, our Canadian comedy that won quite a few Emmy’s in the Celebration list.  So glad to see it finally get recognized 🙂 

Looks like we are still having a strong chance of being impacted by Teddy so I guess we will have to finish our outside work today in case.

It was a pretty sad, depressing sight on our deck yesterday:

DBCCECAF-2124-48E3-9BFE-83A6AEF5327B.thumb.jpeg.4769e3b9a1d809dc0ddfb99995de4e27.jpeg

C0FB4393-E678-4A8E-9B4E-6E604D9E6316.thumb.jpeg.9bdd3c460f94b47f685422e950a90ad2.jpeg

A0D3AF9E-99EE-48BC-A2C3-15ECADBFF24E.thumb.jpeg.68fc9e07a1a8d36be1c949e1cea5e0d2.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and a big toast to everyone celebrating.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  Broke down and turned on the heat this morning.  The house was 66 and outside was 39.  Seems way too soon. 

My wife hates turning on the furnace before October 1st but we broke down once a few days ago 🙂

Thankfully plenty of sun warming the house up since then!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Wow Jacqui you sure do have a lot of pots to store.  Sorry the cold hit your area early.

Those are just the little ones 😉. The big planters are still full and will be moved and tied down to the pergola.  Our job for today 😞. I’m watching the forecast and hoping we don’t have to go to that extreme but so far it looks like we should.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Matervini Malbec Luján de Cuyo Finca Perdriel vintage 2015

Morning Rich! This wine was already Wine of the day - within the past week or so. And though it is highly rated, it does not deserve two days so close together. 😉

I would not have known except for the odd description used that made it stick in my mind. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

My wife hates turning on the furnace before October 1st but we broke down once a few days ago 🙂

Thankfully plenty of sun warming the house up since then!

DH hates turning on the furnace before November 1st!  Even this far south we get cold in the morning in October.  As a matter of fact, it's cold inside this morning but I am just covering up with an afghan and that should take care of it.  🥶

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Rich! This wine was already Wine of the day - within the past week or so. And though it is highly rated, it does not deserve two days so close together. 😉

I would not have known except for the odd description used that made it stick in my mind. 

I guess it is time to research a new wine list. What has been happening is a random selection from about 300.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

While I have some sunrise photos from cruises on September 21, today I am posting one from Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  While the treks end around Labor Day, the training center there stayed open into the fall.  This was taken September 21, 2007.

DSCF0019.JPG.ff675e917d3d77189df33b3311a

Roy

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

@kazu I don’t remember turning it on this early either.  We’ve had some frost warnings and brought in our plants last weekend.  The cats are enjoying tasting the fresh greens, drives DH crazy!

I turned my heat on a couple of days ago.   It's currently 46F here.  I know smoke from the fires out west are in the upper atmosphere and think they may be keeping our temperatures down.

Roy

• Like 5

Morning Rich! I am so grateful for this wonderful thread you have created - full of peace and caring from an international group of folk! Thank you!

Roy, thanks for taking care of our lists! Quite the celebration list this morning! Glad your arm pain has subsided a bit. 

@summer slope, thank you for the drink recipe. Another one I have never heard of & I love strawberries.

@kazu, I am so sorry to see your empty planters. But I will say that the picture with all the empty planters really shows off your thriving chili plants! 

Interesting quote. I do not each much beef, but I might tuck that away for the future.

Prayers for all who need our support.

Cheers ️ to everyone celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

Sancerre lovers, here is a well rated entry with a decent price. I know you all love a “racy white”! Caution - you might crave salami! 😎The average price I found was about $32, just a bit higher than the price in the article I found this in.  Joy, I picked a white wine for you.

SAGET ‘LA PERRIÈRE’ SANCERRE, 2018

Saget_La_Perriere_Sancerre.jpgThis is a racy white with notes of green fruit, lemon, and flint, and a rich texture gained from three months of aging on lees (the leftover yeast from fermentation). “There’s some floral action going on,” one VinePair taster commented, while another craved food, remarking: “I want salami.” A briny note suggests olives and salty cheese would also make for wonderful pairings, but this bottle can easily be enjoyed long before any food reaches the table. Average Price: $29.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@kazu, I am so sorry to see your empty planters. But I will say that the picture with all the empty planters really shows off your thriving chili plants! 

They are managing despite the frost.  I’ve been covering them every night.  I hope tonight’s isn’t too damaging and it’s the last frost.  They aren’t happy being covered. 😉 

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sancerre lovers, here is a well rated entry with a decent price. I know you all love a “racy white”! Caution - you might crave salami! 😎The average price I found was about $32, just a bit higher than the price in the article I found this in.  Joy, I picked a white wine for you.

SAGET ‘LA PERRIÈRE’ SANCERRE, 2018

Saget_La_Perriere_Sancerre.jpgThis is a racy white with notes of green fruit, lemon, and flint, and a rich texture gained from three months of aging on lees (the leftover yeast from fermentation). “There’s some floral action going on,” one VinePair taster commented, while another craved food, remarking: “I want salami.” A briny note suggests olives and salty cheese would also make for wonderful pairings, but this bottle can easily be enjoyed long before any food reaches the table. Average Price: $29.

Oh that sounds like a lovely one.  I’m going to look for it today.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I got today covered, if you are ok with me doing it.

22 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Perhaps Ann could do the Daily wine..

I have reworked the selection process so that there will be no duplication going forward, but will be with those from the past. That said, if Ann wishes to select a wine each day I will bow to her expertise.

Rich

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

I have reworked the selection process so that there will be no duplication going forward, but will be with those from the past. That said, if Ann wishes to select a wine each day I will bow to her expertise.

Rich

You do a beautiful job Rich. Thank you kindly.

• Like 5