On which side of ship should I pick for my cabin?

pmfan

Normally we sail in an inside. This time I am looking for a window. Sailing on the Vision and ports of call are Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama; Cartagena, Colombia; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao. To be able to see the locks from the window, which side should I pick? 

I know I would see more if I went up on deck, but my daughter needs a lot of down time and I would like to have a view of them. Please help me decide.  Asking the experts on here. You all are very knowledgeable. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Flip a coin.

Seriously, as far as docking is concerned, it could go either way.

What are the "locks" you mention?

I bet referring to Panama Canal locks in which case you can see from either side but I think best view is from upper observation decks.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would assume that she or he is referring to the Panama Canal .

Yes, you are probably right.

In that case, the view from a smallish window would not do justice to the canal.

Maybe the OP could find out the exact time and work around that so her daughter could be wither her outside for a good view

Does the cruise actually go in to the Panama Canal?  Colon is a port nearby; going there doesn't necessarily mean you will go in to the locks.

At any rate, if you do, I would personally be watching from the outside upper decks, not my cabin, even if I had a super-ultra balcony cabin.

26 minutes ago, pmfan said:

Normally we sail in an inside. This time I am looking for a window. Sailing on the Vision and ports of call are Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama; Cartagena, Colombia; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao. To be able to see the locks from the window, which side should I pick? 

I know I would see more if I went up on deck, but my daughter needs a lot of down time and I would like to have a view of them. Please help me decide.  Asking the experts on here. You all are very knowledgeable. Thank you.

Are you sure you are goin into the canal?  That itinerary looks like you dock in Panama and would take an excursion to view the locks.

Oops, I re-read your post, and I see that you do want to be in the cabin as much as possible.

If you do go into the Canal, I don't think side of ship matters.  Both sides face the sides of the locks, which are similar concrete walls.

Are there forward-facing OV cabins on your ship?

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, you are probably right.

In that case, the view from a smallish window would not do justice to the canal.

Maybe the OP could find out the exact time and work around that so her daughter could be wither her outside for a good view

When we went to the Panama Canal the best view was from an indoor lounge where we could view directly from the center.

That cruise does not enter the canal.  There are shore excursions scheduled from Colon.  When we sailed the Brilliance,  (sailed only as far Guytan lake, turned around and went back to Colon) we had a balcony and felt like we could reach out and touch the side.   The old locks were 110 feet wide and the ship is 106! At least that's what i remember. 

After further consideration, I would say you might want to just book your usual inside cabin, and use the extra $$ to take an excursion into the Canal, if there is one, and if that is something you want to experience.

As others have said, the cruise itself does not go into the Canal.

I did this itinerary this past January on the Serenade.   You do Not go to thru the canal.   You will go to Colon port in Panama.   There really isn't much at all to see at this port.    You cannot see the canal from the port area.    I think it is a couple hour drive to visit it.    We basically got off the ship did some small shopping, met some locals and spoke with them for a bit then got back on the ship.      It is Very Hot and Humid there and in Cartagena Colombia (in January of 2020).   when you go to Cartagena you must do a tour of the port - the bird sanctuary is beautiful. 

This is an fantastic itinerary.    We had an overnight stay in Aruba and always love visiting this island.    Port side worked good for most of the ports we visited on that cruise. 

I am sure whatever cabin you select you will have an amazing time