Crew Covid cases on T.U.I Cruise

sidari

It looks like they finally got everyone a negative test back.  Unfortunately it gives the impression to just keep re-testing until everyone gets a negative result.  I'm uncertain as to the value of their test system in the first place, are they re-testing the negatives until they get a positive?  I suppose the answer to that is yes, only they do it every 14 days.

3 hours ago, Até said:

It looks like they finally got everyone a negative test back.  Unfortunately it gives the impression to just keep re-testing until everyone gets a negative result.  I'm uncertain as to the value of their test system in the first place, are they re-testing the negatives until they get a positive?  I suppose the answer to that is yes, only they do it every 14 days.

Ate ... It seems that T.U.I were not testing as MSC do on embarkation day which may be a failing within their system which it seems they may be changing.

20 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Ever the reason not to go on a cruise for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

?  A story that turned out to be false is a reason not to go on a cruise for a while?  Fascinating.

Look, it is fine to not go cruising for a while.  But let's not make believe that this story has anything to do with it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Até said:

Wow, maybe we need to be wearing tin foil hats in addition to masks.  It is not like the cruiseline are just a bunch of cowboys doing whatever they want - this was all done under the watchful eye of the Greek authorities, who themselves confirmed the absence of any infections.

• Like 2

?  A story that turned out to be false is a reason not to go on a cruise for a while?  Fascinating.

Look, it is fine to not go cruising for a while.  But let's not make believe that this story has anything to do with it.

ok

Sent from my iPad using Forums

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Right? It's the equivalent of reading in the newspaper that a certain restaurant you like failed a health inspection, then when the newspaper does a retraction because it got the name wrong, you say "well, I'm still not going, it's not safe." 🙄

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

It's the equivalent of reading in the newspaper that a certain restaurant you like failed a health inspection, then when the newspaper does a retraction because it got the name wrong, you say "well, I'm still not going, it's not safe."

My analogy would be that you read in the paper 12 of your favorite restaurants tested positive for E. coli,  or something even deadlier.  But later six were re-tested again and found to be negative.  Then the next day the other six tests were found to be wrong.  Do you trust that the health inspectors are doing an adequate job or have adequate testing methods?  False positives means there are just as likely false negatives.

I'm not advocating to never go on a cruise, I have four currently booked.  But people, especially those at risk, should be watching what is happening closely.  False positives aren't a signal that everything is okay and the cruise is safe.  It's a signal that the testing, at least that TUI is using, is not necessarily reliable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Até said:

My analogy would be that you read in the paper 12 of your favorite restaurants tested positive for E. coli,  or something even deadlier.  But later six were re-tested again and found to be negative.  Then the next day the other six tests were found to be wrong.  Do you trust that the health inspectors are doing an adequate job or have adequate testing methods?  False positives means there are just as likely false negatives.

I'm not advocating to never go on a cruise, I have four currently booked.  But people, especially those at risk, should be watching what is happening closely.  False positives aren't a signal that everything is okay and the cruise is safe.  It's a signal that the testing, at least that TUI is using, is not necessarily reliable.

Good analogy. My take on it (and, at the risk of stating the obvious, I'm not a health expert or a cruise industry professional, or a government agency worker, so this is not my area of expertise) is that there will always be some false positives and some false negatives, there will be inconsistencies, and there will be asymptomatic carriers like a friend of mine. I take those as given. The issue is, so what? Society has to keep moving forward. People's lives and livelihoods depend on the economy being back open. We have to find a way to live with this virus (while working on steps to eradicate it through research, vaccines, etc.), not hunker down and stop living our lives "just in case." (I know that's not what you're saying, but many people are)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

People are getting the impression that false positives are common.  The science community says the opposite. The false positive rate is very small.  The false negatives are the problem in that the false negative rate is very high, and those people boarding with the false negatives are the ones who will infect people.

I'm hoping that the authorities have figured out what caused those 12 false positives, as false positives are supposed to be fairly rare.

My guess is that they were the result of an improper pooling procedure.  If labs get behind or want to cut corners, they will combine a bunch of samples and test the mixture.  If the mixture is negative, everyone who contributed to that mixture is deemed negative, and the lab saved itself a lot of time and $,  If the pooled test shows positive, each of the pooled samples need to be tested individually.

I'd bet either the lab screwed up and reported everyone in a positive pool as positive, or lost the remaining individual samples from the pool, and just declared everyone positive to cover their butts.  The positive person in this scenario would have had to have been from someone who wasn't on the ship.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:01 PM, jtwind said:

I'm hoping that the authorities have figured out what caused those 12 false positives, as false positives are supposed to be fairly rare.

I was on the cruise... the answer is "simple". The laboratory in Heraklion really messed up :-) 
Members of the excursion teams mentioned they used the wrong test kits - but that could be a rumor.
What´s for sure is that it was definitely the last time they worked for TUI.

• Like 1