Lift and Shift - I don't get it

sakigemcam

We have a  10-day March 21 Southern Caribbean booked on Reflection that we are thinking of lifting and shifting. We were on the Silhouette  in March 20, when the world was changing,  and don't want a repeat experience of that level of anxiety. We got a great deal and don't want to lose it.

When I called Celebrity today, I got a very unenthusiastic customer service rep. Never mind that he couldn't even pronounce the ship names or the port names (more training or more sleep needed, it was just embarrassing), but I don't understand why itineraries and ship classes would be different. We would be switching from S class to M class.  S class and Edge class have been the size ship we've been most comfortable with for many reasons.  And, losing two ports were were interested in, subbed out with ports we have no interest in. 

Could you please talk me off the ledge about Lift and Shift? It's hard enough to make this decision to begin with but my gosh the rep was just the most unhelpful person and I'm underwhelmed by the only available option. I've never really paid much attention to M class since we've been so happy with the other ships. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, sakigemcam said:

We have a  10-day March 21 Southern Caribbean booked on Reflection that we are thinking of lifting and shifting. We were on the Silhouette  in March 20, when the world was changing,  and don't want a repeat experience of that level of anxiety. We got a great deal and don't want to lose it.

When I called Celebrity today, I got a very unenthusiastic customer service rep. Never mind that he couldn't even pronounce the ship names or the port names (more training or more sleep needed, it was just embarrassing), but I don't understand why itineraries and ship classes would be different. We would be switching from S class to M class.  S class and Edge class have been the size ship we've been most comfortable with for many reasons.  And, losing two ports were were interested in, subbed out with ports we have no interest in. 

Could you please talk me off the ledge about Lift and Shift? It's hard enough to make this decision to begin with but my gosh the rep was just the most unhelpful person and I'm underwhelmed by the only available option. I've never really paid much attention to M class since we've been so happy with the other ships. 

Thank you.

Suggest since you booked with Celebrity you call back and speak with another agent.

The rules are not exactly clear.  Must be same number of days and class of ship.  There are other rules as well.  They have been posted in other threads and are on the Celebrity website.

It might be easier for you Togo to the website or scroll back to one of the prior lift and shift threads.

If you want to see what your/-  options are it's easy without a phone call.  You just plug your booking info into the form located at this link https://cancellation.celebritycruises.com/?brand=C&program=liftshift

Yes the options are limited to same general itinerary, same number of nights and +/- 4 weeks and same class of ship (except S and M are interchangeable).

Moving from S class to M class has some down side.  There are many classes of cabins available on S which are not available on M.   Like SV, 1A, 1B where the "best available" cabin might not be satisfactory.   In our case we were booking in a 1A and they assigned a 2A which to me was a significant downgrade so I ended up canceling.

If you are in other categories I don't think it's that big of an issue if you are switching to Summit or Millennium which have both has major refits in the last 18 months.   Constellation and Infinity have had their refits cancelled so they are both in need of updating and it sounds like you might be disappointed.

The L&S program can be wonderful if you have a good deal you are trying to retain.  In the end you have to be happy with the sailing and price/promo you will end up with.

With rare exceptions some have posted here on Cruise Critic, it needs to be the same class of ship and same number of days and similar itinerary.  It also needs to be within a certain timeframe.  This only makes sense financially for Celebrity.  I guess I am a little confused about what your issue is?  It could be that you are just not happy about the options that are available.  

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

With rare exceptions some have posted here on Cruise Critic, it needs to be the same class of ship and same number of days and similar itinerary.  It also needs to be within a certain timeframe.  This only makes sense financially for Celebrity.  I guess I am a little confused about what your issue is?  It could be that you are just not happy about the options that are available.  

Yes, not pleased about the different itineraries and smaller ships. Comparable verandah cabins are smaller,  fewer venues onboard for 10 days, including fewer speciality restaurants. To me that's not a comparable offer, and upon searching the site I noticed Apex has the identical itinerary leaving a day before. I would have paid a reasonable amount to upgrade to Apex although we've sailed Edge and didn't feel it was worth a higher fare so headed back to S class. To pay the same for M as we did for S doesn't make sense, especially for a smaller cabin/verandah and fewer onboard options.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you want to see what your/-  options are it's easy without a phone call.  You just plug your booking info into the form located at this link https://cancellation.celebritycruises.com/?brand=C&program=liftshift

Yes the options are limited to same general itinerary, same number of nights and +/- 4 weeks and same class of ship (except S and M are interchangeable).

Moving from S class to M class has some down side.  There are many classes of cabins available on S which are not available on M.   Like SV, 1A, 1B where the "best available" cabin might not be satisfactory.   In our case we were booking in a 1A and they assigned a 2A which to me was a significant downgrade so I ended up canceling.

If you are in other categories I don't think it's that big of an issue if you are switching to Summit or Millennium which have both has major refits in the last 18 months.   Constellation and Infinity have had their refits cancelled so they are both in need of updating and it sounds like you might be disappointed.

The L&S program can be wonderful if you have a good deal you are trying to retain.  In the end you have to be happy with the sailing and price/promo you will end up with.

This is helpful info, especially in that you pointed out that Constellation isn't refurbished. It was also one of the options offered. I have our TA looking into it - if we go to M I'd want to upgrade to Aqua at least if it's reasonable, so we have another dining venue. 2020 really needs to stop already although I'm not comparing cruise challenges to deadly illness of course. It's just one bummer after another, for all of us it seems, and that includes the cruise lines. 

4 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

This is helpful info, especially in that you pointed out that Constellation isn't refurbished. It was also one of the options offered. I have our TA looking into it - if we go to M I'd want to upgrade to Aqua at least if it's reasonable, so we have another dining venue. 2020 really needs to stop already although I'm not comparing cruise challenges to deadly illness of course. It's just one bummer after another, for all of us it seems, and that includes the cruise lines. 

You just added a really important fact - your booked with a TA.  They are the one that needs to do the lift and shift.  It does not work for everyone - it did not work for me.  And we like many others simply cancelled. It really works best when you have a great deal and want to protect it.  They can also negotiate with Celebrity.  As others said some have had success in getting cruises not exactly in the L&S rules approved.  

Remember this program ends in hours!

You are being wonderful, thank you. Yes, I have my TA working on it but wanted to give her informed direction. I didn't know L&S option expires today?!?! 

6 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You just added a really important fact - your booked with a TA.  They are the one that needs to do the lift and shift.  It does not work for everyone - it did not work for me.  And we like many others simply cancelled. It really works best when you have a great deal and want to protect it.  They can also negotiate with Celebrity.  As others said some have had success in getting cruises not exactly in the L&S rules approved.  

Remember this program ends in hours!

I don’t see why we should be expected to downgrade. None of this is anyone’s fault, yet if there’s availability, which there is, we should be able to choose between more options, even with additional fees for us to consider or upgrades if the ship is considered a downgrade. Loyal Ceiebrity cruisers, yet treated so poorly today. 

We tried a L&S but were unsuccessful .

The only cruise they could offer was :

Switch from S class to M class

Switch departing from Ft Lauderdale to Tampa

Switch from 11 nights to 10. 

However, I didn't have to Switch with whom I'm travelling with.

• Haha 1

I did the l&S without a problem.  Well small one but ta took care of it.  I had a b2b on Reflection in Nov this year, a 10 and 11 day journey.  Only options was Constellation.  Which I am fine with overall.  Sure ship is not refurbished, still in great shape.  Less venues etc, which all depends what your looking for.  I do like the S class the best but have plenty of cruises on the M class also and enjoy Constellation.  So the only problem I had was I had booked thru a TA and did it online.  When the L&S was done they didnt move my perks.  I had called my big box TA concerning something else.  They took care of it, also got extra 200 per sailing obc.  All good.  Ill look to upgrade rooms when get closer thru bidding etc.  The prices right now are crazy for the cruises.  

Does anyone by any chance know if the automated L&S website recognizes any "special rate" restrictions, essentially hindering a L&S? We're booked on an April 2021 Apex cruise, and currently we are optimistic, but seeing that the CWC program was extended until end November, who knows how the situation looks by then?

A few weeks ago, there was a massive price decrease on our cruise, an we were able to upgradec from cat. 10 to cat. 1B for 100$ total. I suspect we may be booked on a travel agent rate, although others on the roll call reported similar near-free upgrades or big price decreases on their current stateroom category, so it may jsut have been a very limited flash sale on very few sailings. When I put in my data, I am shown three 2022 options. Does that mean my booking does qualify, or does the program just read the "basic" info on my booking, ie. not any special rate that may be applied?

Thanks in advance.

Just one additional point to add for clarity even if it doesn't necessarily apply to the OP - even if you booked through a TA you can do a Lift and Shift online anyway.  The booking will ultimately get to the TA of the original booking, but you don't need your TA to do it for you.

1 hour ago, mikkelhansen said:

Does anyone by any chance know if the automated L&S website recognizes any "special rate" restrictions, essentially hindering a L&S? We're booked on an April 2021 Apex cruise, and currently we are optimistic, but seeing that the CWC program was extended until end November, who knows how the situation looks by then?

A few weeks ago, there was a massive price decrease on our cruise, an we were able to upgradec from cat. 10 to cat. 1B for 100$ total. I suspect we may be booked on a travel agent rate, although others on the roll call reported similar near-free upgrades or big price decreases on their current stateroom category, so it may jsut have been a very limited flash sale on very few sailings. When I put in my data, I am shown three 2022 options. Does that mean my booking does qualify, or does the program just read the "basic" info on my booking, ie. not any special rate that may be applied?

Thanks in advance.

I have heard of a few cases where a certain type of group (CUG?) was not eligible.   I'm not sure if the on-line tool is that smart but it does have your booking number so I would hope they would honor what the tools says you are eligible for.

Suggest op takes something before option is lost.

We consulted the chart, picked 3 choices from those offered and received our 1st choice..went from Connie to Reflection...same number of nights, same suite level, same price and perks.Slightly diff itin..

Was an easy process..

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

Suggest op takes something before option is lost.

We consulted the chart, picked 3 choices from those offered and received our 1st choice..went from Connie to Reflection...same number of nights, same suite level, same price and perks.Slightly diff itin..

Was an easy process..

Yes we are on it, thank you. I just sent our agent, per her request, 2 acceptable alternative options hoping that she either has different choices as a non-wholesale agent or can negotiate. I broken down the costs and compared cabin sizes, etc., and Millennium is not only a downgrade it's a loss. I'm going to try the self-serve option now. Appreciate all your constructive suggestions, you are all the best and we're all in the same "boat" to some extent! Thank you and fingers crossed, 

I wish you luck and it's a sign of a good TA if they are willing to go to bat for you.  Your particular situation has been experienced by many (including myself) as the 10/11 night Reflection 2021 itineraries are being moved to Edge for 2022 leaving the Constellation as the only alternative.  In the very begining of L&S exceptions seamed to be easier to push than it is now.  I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Edited by wrk2cruise

36 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I wish you luck and it's a sign of a good TA if they are willing to go to bat for you.  Your particular situation has been experienced by many (including myself) as the 10/11 night Reflection 2021 itineraries are being moved to Edge for 2022 leaving the Constellation as the only alternative.  In the very begining of L&S exceptions seamed to be easier to push than it is now.  I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Thank you, that's helpful.