Ushuaia

Sir PMP

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why did you post this?  

Probably because it is a nice video from a great location at the Southern most town.  I have been there, and thank you for the post it brought out some good memories.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I like to check this site because it shows the dock and any ships visiting Ushuaia.  Also the back garden of the gift shop that we always visit.  

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/argentina/tierra-del-fuego/ushuaia/ushuaia.html

Yes, that's from that souvenir shop with the exhibit in the garden.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Always a famous Antarctica stop..

Certainly!  Ushuaia is not a favorite port for me.  I did not have Argentinian Peso's.  Not interested in US dollars.  Recall that I could use a credit card to buy post cards with the intention of mailing them from Argentina.  The postage cost to do so was outrageous.  I sent those cards from Montevideo at a fraction of the cost it would have been in Argentina.

Scenic port?  Interesting port?  Yes and Yes. 

36 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

That's lovely. Now this ignorant American will look up how cold 9°C is in F. How come we're the only country that didn't go metric?

It would be in the 40sF. 
9ºC is 48.2ºF. 

A quick, 'down & dirty' conversion to go from Celsius to Fahrenheit is double the Celsius, and add 30. Not precise, but close enough to know what to wear. 
This formula gives you 48ºC. Close enough. Different temperatures will create a larger spread, but still close enough for most of us. 

• Like 3

As a junior high math teacher I taught my students the following poem to help with metric temps:

30 is hot

20 is nice

10 is cool 

0 is ice

Not very exact, but it gives you somewhat of an idea of the "feel" of a temp. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Certainly!  Ushuaia is not a favorite port for me.  I did not have Argentinian Peso's.  Not interested in US dollars.  Recall that I could use a credit card to buy post cards with the intention of mailing them from Argentina.  The postage cost to do so was outrageous.  I sent those cards from Montevideo at a fraction of the cost it would have been in Argentina.

Scenic port?  Interesting port?  Yes and Yes. 

And I'm sure if an Argentinian went to The United States of America, even in a tourist spot that they wouldn't be interested in taking their Pesos!  I overpaid for a postcard and postage at that port as well, and I had Pesos! Live and learn!

21 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Looks dead, usually a few expedition ships would be there.  They have yummy king crab there.

Still a bit early for the ships to Antarctica.  Usually will not see those ships until November.

7 hours ago, senorjim said:

And I'm sure if an Argentinian went to The United States of America, even in a tourist spot that they wouldn't be interested in taking their Pesos!

Absolutely correct!  For me, the frustrating part of Argentina was my inability to obtain their Pesos before I left home and even during the cruise.  My bank, which is able to obtain foreign currency of many types, was unable to do so.  My AAA office was unable to do so.  The Front Office aboard the Zaandam had none.  Argentina had some kind of foreign currency restriction in force that prevented these usual sources from obtaining their Pesos.  For some reason.

37 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Absolutely correct!  For me, the frustrating part of Argentina was my inability to obtain their Pesos before I left home and even during the cruise.  My bank, which is able to obtain foreign currency of many types, was unable to do so.  My AAA office was unable to do so.  The Front Office aboard the Zaandam had none.  Argentina had some kind of foreign currency restriction in force that prevented these usual sources from obtaining their Pesos.  For some reason.

The money changers do not want to hold Argentine currency, it would be worth less every day that they hold it. If this link works, it will chart the decline: https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=ARS&to=USD

After I purchased Argentine Pesos at the exchange booth in Atlanta, prior to our Zaandam South America cruise in 2014,  I mentioned to the cashier about cashing in the bills (which they will do.)  He said no bank wants them,  so I spent the final pesos at the Tierra del Fuego National Park  fantastic  visitor center gift shop near Ushuaia on a unique apron that had all the penguins of the region on it.  A great souvenir of one of our best cruises ever!

We should have been there again in December 2020 on our sadly now cancelled HAL Westerdam cruise.

Karen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The issue was that the government controlled the exchange rate so none of the banks outside of country would handle the currency.  The exchange rate on the black market (called the blue peso rate) was considerably better than the official rate so almost all exchanges for the dollar was done on the street.  Then a few years ago the government changed and the controls went away and the official rate floated to be the same rate as the black market so exchange at banks, atms, hotels, etc became easy.  Recently some restrictions were put back in place. Now that government lost re-election so time will tell what the new government does.

Fortunately we traveled during the time when exchange was easily done.

Edited by nocl