Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

7 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

Saying it doesn't make it true.  Even NPR is reporting that the death rates have "dropped sharply."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

I did not say that the death rate was increasing.  I said that the number of deaths is increasing.

There is a difference.

• Thanks 2

On 11/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, iancal said:

Sorry, but I do not think that giving our money to an offshore corporation that pays little tax in North America and does not employ many people in our area does much good for circulating money. 

Unless of course you count money spent on professional lobby firms to influence legislators.

Do you actually cruise with Princess, then?  Or is this a virtue signal?

• Like 1

Just now, iancal said:

I did not say that the death rate was increasing.  I said that the number of deaths is increasing.

There is a difference.

Fair enough, I guess.  By your logic then, the cases of progeria, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Nuclear factor kappa B essential modulator, and Menkes are increasing!  So are the number of deaths!  Wait, I think *every single disease* that hasn't been eradicated has cases that are increasing, and the death toll is increasing as well!  Shocker.

At least own up to your hyperbole.

5 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:
  On 10/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, iancal said:

At the moment, the only thing that is 'escalating' is the number of new covid cases, the number of hospitalizations, and the number of deaths.

---

Saying it doesn't make it true.  Even NPR is reporting that the death rates have "dropped sharply."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

The death rate may be down, but the number of deaths is up significantly lately with more people sick and dying at a lower death rate.

This is not referring to the total number of deaths so far (which of course is up as the total would be for any disease), but the number deaths each day. It is the number of new deaths each day that is increasing at an alarming rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Fair enough, I guess.  By your logic then, the cases of progeria, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Nuclear factor kappa B essential modulator, and Menkes are increasing!  So are the number of deaths!  Wait, I think *every single disease* that hasn't been eradicated has cases that are increasing, and the death toll is increasing as well!  Shocker.

At least own up to your hyperbole.

Where do you get these gems from? CJD kills maybe 300 people a year in your country.

"CJD occurs worldwide at a rate of about 1 case per million population per year."

At 1,800 covid deaths a day, covid will match the deadliness of cancer (all kinds) and heart disease (all causes) on an annualized basis. None of these traditional killers are infectious diseases. That is, preventable.

What is it about social media? Is silliness an infectious disease? :classic_tongue:

Considering the ever increasing amount of Covid-19 cases occurring now across the United States and other countries, Princess may very well cancel cruises going into the 2021 sailing season.

Why anyone would subject themselves to being infected with a potentially life threatening disease is beyond my comprehension.

Indulging in a vacation the length of 7,10,14 days or more that may affect a person and the people in their life for weeks, months ,even years - people do experience long lasting,debilitating effects after a bout of the virus- seems to be be self centered at best. This is my opinion of course. 

My DH and I began taking Princess Cruises in 2004. We always enjoyed them. But, considering our ages and the condition of the world due to Covid-19,we have realistically have come to the conclusion that taking cruises is something we have done in the past and, most likely, will not experience in the future. It is a pity that we cannot enjoy vacations as we used to, but  due to Covid-19  quite a few things that we used to enjoy in our lives have changed and not for the better.. 

• Like 1

There is light at the end of the tunnel with the two 90+% vaccines coming out.  Assuming that the majority of people that wish to be vaccinated get it by July 1, hopefully cruising can get back to 7 day sailings with half of their fleet by then.  Masks, social distancing and other new protocols will still need to be in place for all of 2021.  Hopefully by January of 2022, cruising can be a close resemblance to what we all remember.  This of course is wishful thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoadTripFanatic said:

We cancelled our cruise for January 2nd on the Enchanted Princess.  I do not feel comfortable hoping on a ship at this point in time.  

We are waiting for the official cancellation from Princess so that we can flip it to a different Enchanted sailing in 2022.  Possibly a 10 day in March or a Canadian cruise over the summer once dates are announced.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:59 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, we have a cruise booked for Jan 3, 2021.

It hasn't cancelled yet?  My Carnival cruise for Jan got cancelled and am contemplating the same cruise from Princess.  Confused as to why one company would cancel but another would not. 

15 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

It hasn't cancelled yet?  My Carnival cruise for Jan got cancelled and am contemplating the same cruise from Princess.  Confused as to why one company would cancel but another would not. 

Carnival only announced the cancellation of its January US cruises a few hours ago, so I don't think NCL has made a decision quite yet. Give them time. Interestingly, their website earlier this morning still had January cruises listed.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:44 AM, HappyInVan said:

Where do you get these gems from? CJD kills maybe 300 people a year in your country.

That's exactly my point.  Of COURSE deaths are going up, the date RATE, however, is dropping drastically.  One more person and the cases and deaths go up.  Nice try backing off of the hysteria you posted, though.

The bottom line is, if you're afraid, don't go!  That's pretty simple, isn't it?

Edited by WAMarathoner

I tell myself to have patience. That this forum is full of senior Seniors. So, here's a visual aid. I expect the States to reach an average death toll of 2k/day by December. Where would that be on the graph? What are the chances that you will be cruising in May?

Global covid deaths 7D USA Canada Nov 18.JPG

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I tell myself to have patience. That this forum is full of senior Seniors. So, here's a visual aid. I expect the States to reach an average death toll of 2k/day by December. Where would that be on the graph? What are the chances that you will be cruising in May?

Global covid deaths 7D USA Canada Nov 18.JPG

These graphs are far from predictive.  I’ll agree that the death rate per million could be 2,000 per day in the US in December; after all, that’s only  a few weeks from now.  But drawing any conclusions about next May.... a mug’s game!  If you believe that could actually be the case, the death rate should have gone to near zero in September/October in Germany and Canada based on the data and trends in July and August.

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Somewhere close to zero.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

These graphs are far from predictive ..

Graphs highlight trends. Humans have free will, and can choose to change the outcome.

In August, things were looking good in Canada. So, a small minority chose enjoyment over safety. Despite the warnings from epidemiologists about a second wave.

Two days ago, BC reported 700+ cases. So, Dr. Henry finally proclaimed an indoor mask mandate, and drastic social restrictions.

I think that we will get it under control because we must.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-could-see-60-000-224205041.html

Most people realize that public health is not about 'freedom'. It's about outcomes. The legal restrictions are targeted at the small minority of 'clueless'.

On the other hand, I don't know the outcome for ours neighbours this winter. Mike Pence had a small Task Force briefing yesterday. Everyone (Fauci, Redfield, Brix) had a say. But, no plans to do anything different. They've made their choices.

BTW, vaccines don't magically distribute themselves...

“While Trump promises tens of millions of vaccine doses next month, many states say they aren’t ready to administer them...”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/18/covid-vaccines-december-states-437168

I continue to be amazed that there are people out there who believed that their Jan or Feb cruises would be a go.  What planet are these people on?

Just think.  No vaccine yet.  Announced yes, available no.  No vaccination plan.  Covid rates, covid hospitalizations, covid deaths increasing daily.

What cruise line would take a chance on operating ships in Jan or Feb. under these circumstances?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1