The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Ah, yes. That explains it. A Summer retreat for a royal. A bit more intimate, perhaps 30 rooms instead of 100 😉.  I have never seen this live or in photos, it is not in Würzburg. It is not Aschaffenburg, Lohr or Ochsenfurt. But it is probably not far from there. Cannot imagine this being close to Frankfurt.

I also think this is older than I originally said. Probably more around 1800?

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Ah, yes. That explains it. A Summer retreat for a royal. A bit more intimate, perhaps 30 rooms instead of 100 😉.  I have never seen this live or in photos, it is not in Würzburg. It is not Aschaffenburg, Lohr or Ochsenfurt. But it is probably not far from there. Cannot imagine this being close to Frankfurt.

I also think this is older than I originally said. Probably more around 1800?

notamermaid

Built in 1680 and rennovated in 1753, very close to Wurzburg.

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Looks like Veitshöchheim Palace to me. Yoe can see it from the high-speed railwayline from Würzburg to Hanover shortly after leaving Würzburg. Palace and formal gardens were built for the Würzburg prince bishops.

You are correct!!!!!!  It's your turn.

41 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I said this looks familiar... It is that natural fountain! And it is kind of directly on or at the river.

notamermaid

It should, after all its within your 15 km-range, just in case. Yes it is located very close to the river and only accessible by boat.

6 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

It should, after all its within your 15 km-range, just in case. Yes it is located very close to the river and only accessible by boat.

I would not call it my 15km range (do not argue, nobody knows or needs to know where I live :classic_wink:), I am not in Koblenz. But yes, sometimes one is surprised by what lies within driving distance and has never been there.

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I would not call it my 15km range (do not argue, nobody knows or needs to know where I live :classic_wink:), I am not in Koblenz. But yes, sometimes one is surprised by what lies within driving distance and has never been there.

notamermaid

Sorry, I did not want to out you. But my wrong assumption narrows that natural fountain aka geyser a bit closer.

4 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Wow well I’m learning something new every day, I’ve never heard of it. CA

Yes, this game has turned out to be quite educational. :classic_biggrin: So many places I have never heard of or seen, even along the Rhine I have found some.

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Sorry, I did not want to out you. But my wrong assumption narrows that natural fountain aka geyser a bit closer.

I am actually so near that as part of tourism promotion for the Middle Rhine valley I once got an invitation (specific day) some years ago to the geyser, it was to become and I would say is a highlight in the area but still not known enough. Could not do the trip on that day for some reason. Since then I have been past it in the car, on the train and on a ship, but still have not visited the place. It is supposed to be really interesting.

Oh, hang on, you still need to confirm Carol's guess...

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Andernach Geyser, Rhine River

Full points. Your turn, @Coral

The Andernach geyser is located on a small former Island (now peninsula) in the Rhine, the Namedyer Werth. Though crossed by the federal highway No 9 on a bridge, it is a natural reserve area and therefore not accessible landside,, but only from the waterside. The geyser itself is sort of seminatural, they drilled for thermal water, but hit some carbon dioxide bubble. This area has still some post-lava volcanic activities. So they switched to geyser and carbonated water. That was around 1900.

Over the decades the well deteriorated and was forgotten. In the 1990ies revitalised, the carbon dioxide dissolutes into the groundwater, strong enough to let off a fountain up to 60 mtrs for a couple of minutes every couple of hours. During daylight hours the "eruptions" correlate astonishingly precise with the timetable of an excursion boat, which leaves three or four times a day from the geyser museum in Andernach. The museum shows carbon dioxide, its natural occurrences, its role in the atmospheric cycle in the geological past, its impact on global warming, but the highlight is the boat trip to the geyser and, of course, nature's precise timing, the geyser itself.