The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

From German Wikipedia, here is an explanation of the seven statues:

Auf dem Dachfirst des Chores sind Kopien von sieben Terrakottafiguren, deren Originale im Kremser Stadtmuseum aufbewahrt werden. Sie stellen Hirsche und Pferde dar, sind aber als „Die sieben Hasen von St. Michael“ bekannt und als solche Gegenstand einer gleichnamigen Sage.

They are really statues of deer and horses (Hirsche une Pferde) but they are known as the "seven hares (Hasen) of St. Michael" so I guess I wasn't too far off-base thinking they should have been rabbits!

There is a legend about the seven hares, from a random website that I found:

"Legend says that these rabbits lived on the mountain side. One day the snowfall was so severe that the gap was filled between the mountain and the roof of the church. When the snow melted, the rabbits were stranded on the roof of the church with no way to get back to the their mountain home. Mother Nature felt sorry for the stranded rabbits and turned them into stone so they could remain on the roof forever."

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

That picture is in Mosingshof (AKA St. Michael), Austria - a church in the Wachau Valley along the Danube, with seven animal figures atop the peak of its lower roof. I thought that I remembered our CD saying that they were rabbits but they don't really look like rabbits. The church is called Wehrkirche St. Michael.

Correct!  Here is the story:

St. Michael’s Church in Wehrkirche, built around 956, has seven stone rabbits along the roof.

Legend says that these rabbits lived on the mountain side. One day the snowfall was so severe that the gap was filled between the mountain and the roof of the church. When the snow melted, the rabbits were stranded on the roof of the church with no way to get back to the their mountain home.

Mother Nature felt sorry for the stranded rabbits and turned them into stone so they could remain on the roof forever.

Fun in the Wachau Valley!

Your turn, jpablny!

OK, here is one for you. 

The location and the river will probably be easy. But you have to tell me what that structure in the picture is. And unlike just about everything else I've posted, we actually took this picture while on a river cruise!

469209297_CCPic23.thumb.JPG.a50830349b3b6ff5e4a5d08ffefe9567.JPG

6 hours ago, Renmar said:

Egypt--Nile River, this is the easy part.

Arab -Russian Friendship Monument (LOTUS FLOWER)???

If I am correct I have to give a wild card to someone else.

Theo

You are correct! We took this picture from a photo stop at the Aswan High Dam, during our Nile cruise back in 2012. Too bad we didn't actually visit this monument, as I've read that the view from the top is spectacular.

Wild card, then. Who is next?

46 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Mt. St Helens, Washington.  I'm guessing the Columbia River

Correct!  It is an excursion on Columbia River cruises and Pacific Coastal Ocean cruises from Astoria.

I took this picture 2 days before the 32nd anniversary of the eruption (happened on May 18, 1980).  It is amazing how little vegetation had returned in that time.  You drive through heavily forested areas belonging to logging companies and suddenly reach the well demarcated boundary of the devastation caused by the eruption.  According to Wikepedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens), the eruption was

the deadliest and most economically destructive volcanic event in U.S. history. Fifty-seven people were killed; 250 homes, 47 bridges, 15 miles (24 km) of railways, and 185 miles (298 km) of highway were destroyed. A massive debris avalanche, triggered by an earthquake of magnitude 5.1, caused a lateral eruption that reduced the elevation of the mountain's summit from 9,677 ft (2,950 m) to 8,363 ft (2,549 m), leaving a 1 mile (1.6 km) wide horseshoe-shaped crater (visible in the picture).

The visitors center is one of the best and most moving we have ever visited.  If you are ever in the area it is definitely worth a visit.

Your turn Queen of Everything!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Correct!  It is an excursion on Columbia River cruises and Pacific Coastal Ocean cruises from Astoria.

Was that an all day excursion? I have stopped in Astoria a few times and have been pretty bored on what to do.

I think I went to Seaside and Cannon Beach once and that was pretty.

Edited by Coral

16 minutes ago, Coral said:

Was that an all day excursion? I have stopped in Astoria a few times and have been pretty bored on what to do.

I think I went to Seaside and Cannon Beach once and that was pretty.

Yes it is all day.  The drive from Astoria is along the river and then into the timberlands and finally into the miles and miles of destruction and devastation.  We had an excellent tour guide who, had he not heeded the authorities' warnings to evacuate, would have been killed in the eruption.  His stories were so informative and entertaining (he was a local) that the transit time passed quickly.

Just now, capriccio said:

Yes it is all day.  The drive from Astoria is along the river and then into the timberlands and finally into the miles and miles of destruction and devastation.  We had an excellent tour guide who, had he not heeded the authorities' warnings to evacuate, would have been killed in the eruption.  His stories were so informative and entertaining (he was a local) that the transit time passed quickly.

Good to know. I did that coastal cruise a lot when I had to bring my Mom with me (and her Seeing Eye dog) as it was easy to get the dog into all the ports with out much paperwork. I haven't done it recently. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Good to know. I did that coastal cruise a lot when I had to bring my Mom with me (and her Seeing Eye dog) as it was easy to get the dog into all the ports with out much paperwork. I haven't done it recently. Thanks.

We only did it the Pacific Coastal cruise once but it was a favorite even though we had spent vacations in all the ports (LA, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco) except Astoria and Seattle.  We'd do it again!  A friend took the Columbia River cruise and did the Mt. St. Helens excursion and really enjoyed it too.

• Like 1

This looks a fairly typical building but it must be special, it has a plaque above the entrance. And because you posted it of course. The building with the buttresses I reckon is an old church. Looks wintery, with snow on the roof, taken before Christmas? There is greenery framing the doorway.

A bit Alpine, not sure where.

notamermaid

Close enough Notamermaid!  This is the oldest elementary school in Austria still in operation.  It sits on Silent Night square in Amsdorf.  The composer of Silent Night, Franz Gruber once lived on the upper floor.  We visited there on our way back from an excursion to Salzburg.  It was really wonderful.  In the little church, two very talented gentlemen sang Silent NIght with only a guitar, and then the precious school children came outside and sang for us as well. There is a cafe across from the school and we had some hot drinks and treats.  It had been lightly snowing all day.  If that doesn't put you in the spirit of Christmas, I'm not sure what will!  I have added pics of the interior and exterior of the church.  Although I have a great pic of the children, I won't violate their privacy by posting that one.

All yours Notamermaid!

DSC08163.JPG

DSC08166.JPG

DSC08155.JPG

Edited by QueenofEverything
  • Like 2

Thank you. And what lovely Christmas time photos.

Here it is. Please name the river, town and iconic building or it's architect that is on the left just out of the photo. Please do not post any photos unless it is your turn.

I have cropped the photo so that even less of what I photographed is visible. I was actually more interested in the street scene than the building. Hope to confuse you a bit.

945563947_004-Kopie.thumb.JPG.b6e1a866b735ebe223a6df0c5e69e136.JPG

notamermaid

Every pedestrian zone in continental Europe seems to be proud to have an English phone booth. Though here were at the edge of a pedestrian zone with car traffic and a tramway line visible. The building to the left - yes, I do have an idea, Typical handwriting of this architect, playing at home here.

4 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Every pedestrian zone in continental Europe seems to be proud to have an English phone booth.

I think there will soon come the time when there are more iconic British phone boxes scattered around European towns than there are in Britain.

You are on the right track.

notamermaid