The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Honfleur was a beautiful stop. We were there in 2018 on Silver Wind. We went downriver to Rouen then came back to Honfleur the next day. We wandered the town for most of the day on our own. It was a weekend where all the museums were free in Normandy, so we could duck in and out at our leisure. We visited the ethnographic museum at the end of the day before hustling back to the meeting point to get the last bus of the day back to the ship.

OK, here is a photo for you. Name the town, and the river from which it is visited. And the location. We snapped this photo while out for an evening stroll.

747733811_CCPic24.thumb.JPG.7cf3dcdf0e34efeeb90a6f9bfcccf0ca.JPG

Hmm, an iron structure with ornamentation. Probably a bridge, but what is perhaps more interesting are the bits in the background. I think there is a church spire on a hill, so this iron construction may cover an actual gap, i.e. deep valley.

I reckon it is a very famous bridge in Europe  - I know, not narrowed down much 😀.

notamermaid

QoE, you have it!

I tried to make this difficult by cropping out the Salzburg fortress on the hill behind the bridge, and also I had to blur out the writing on the plaque that you can see, because it says "Mozartsteg" which might have been a bit too obvious...

Here is the complete picture.

DSCN7788.thumb.JPG.ada67f0de05e8c4ee80bcc7d7d196bd2.JPG

Like most, we visited Salzburg from our Danube cruise, but we didn't do it as a day trip. We took the train from Passau after the cruise ended, then spent a night there. It made for a nice evening stroll, despite the intermittent rain showers.

Your turn.

• Like 1

That is a cool bridge.  I actually didn't have a clue until Notamermaid's post.  I often forget to look at the background for hints.  Notamermaid is very good at that and when she mentioned it in her post, I recognized the top of the fortress.  Thanks Notamermaid!

How about a wild card?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

QoE, you have it!

I tried to make this difficult by cropping out the Salzburg fortress on the hill behind the bridge, and also I had to blur out the writing on the plaque that you can see, because it says "Mozartsteg" which might have been a bit too obvious...

Here is the complete picture.

DSCN7788.thumb.JPG.ada67f0de05e8c4ee80bcc7d7d196bd2.JPG

Like most, we visited Salzburg from our Danube cruise, but we didn't do it as a day trip. We took the train from Passau after the cruise ended, then spent a night there. It made for a nice evening stroll, despite the intermittent rain showers.

Your turn.

I absolutely loved Salzburg and the Lake District nearby. I wish I had spent more time here! 2 days was not enough. 

Love the photo, Daisi. I am an old stones fan. Now, this is typical stone that is used in a wall quite literally 50m up the road from me. We call it Bruchstein. Like from a quarry. But this is the intriguing bit: Bruchstein can be centuries old or used in new-builds. This thing in the photo only has parts of Bruchstein, the lower half with lighter coloured stone is older, I guess at least Medieval.

Still, after all my blathering, I cannot say where it is...

I guess the Rhine river because it looks familiar. Could also be the Moselle, or Main or Neckar.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

That is a cool bridge.  I actually didn't have a clue until Notamermaid's post.  I often forget to look at the background for hints.  Notamermaid is very good at that and when she mentioned it in her post, I recognized the top of the fortress.  Thanks Notamermaid!

How about a wild card?  

Thanks for the flowers. I kind of hoped I could help somebody along as I had no idea other than that the sign looked European.

I really like the Art Nouveau kind of letters on it.

@Daisi this looks like a straight wall rather than a round tower, so I do not think it is a Roman tower remnant in Cologne. Perhaps a fortification along the river bank, like a town wall? Not in the river. There is some building, probably modern, sticking out from above the wall edge.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, yes, it's part of the Roman sewer system in Cologne.  If I remember correctly, the modern building behind is the Museum of Roman Artifacts and Antiquities, where you can see the mosaics.

You are next!

Here is the full pic I took, and some of the mosaic: 

DSC02426.JPG

DSC02452.JPG

DSC02453.JPG

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 2

Oh, thank you. I am a bit surprised, I did not think I was that close with my answer. I probably walked past this remnant quite a few years ago when I explored Roman Cologne and went to the museum. These days I just go for shopping really. :classic_biggrin:

Okay, here is an easy one for some. I have brutally cut the two splendid edifices. Nevertheless google images may pick this up. It is a typical tourist view, but more splendid is the big building that I have my back to.

Please name the river and town. First to guess correctly gets to post the next photo.194828480_138-Kopie.thumb.jpg.74e1d267dfe9a661b476d3550c1925df.jpg

notamermaid

I think we have been past this place in Wurzburg am Main. The background looks like Fortress Marienberg so your back might be towards the Maschikuli Tower? 

If it is not I probably should check if it is in Spain somewhere (I know, way different area)

Theo

5 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I think we have been past this place in Wurzburg am Main. The background looks like Fortress Marienberg so your back might be towards the Maschikuli Tower? 

Würzburg it is! Told you it was easy to find river and town. :classic_smile:

This is the complete photo:

138.thumb.jpg.eaef5eb715197dd5496017641859240a.jpg

What is in my back is the Würzburg Residence:

IMG_20200808_123908.thumb.jpg.6a4ad3f44f9161c38169668a832ee0b7.jpg

So I took the first photo roughly from where that dark car is parked near the entrance. I very much enjoyed Würzburg and plan to go back as soon as possible. I think I have mentioned that before. :classic_biggrin:

We have a thread on the Main river, perhaps someone who has not been around the river cruising board for long would like to have a look at it:

Over to you, Renmar.

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Würzburg it is! Told you it was easy to find river and town. :classic_smile:

This is the complete photo:

138.thumb.jpg.eaef5eb715197dd5496017641859240a.jpg

What is in my back is the Würzburg Residence:

IMG_20200808_123908.thumb.jpg.6a4ad3f44f9161c38169668a832ee0b7.jpg

So I took the first photo roughly from where that dark car is parked near the entrance. I very much enjoyed Würzburg and plan to go back as soon as possible. I think I have mentioned that before. :classic_biggrin:

We have a thread on the Main river, perhaps someone who has not been around the river cruising board for long would like to have a look at it:

Over to you, Renmar.

notamermaid

Oh, Notamermaid, I just looked at Cruise Critic and saw your picture, but too late!  We so enjoy Wurzburg.  We stay right on the river and have of the Fortress.  I have been to Mass at the MarianKappelle on the Market Square.  Last time was Easter, and we went to the Vigil.  We were given big candles to light and they were lit for 30-45 minutes.  The lady gegenuber to me burned her hair (I did not see it) but my husband did and was watching her husband beat at her hair.  I did smell something but I thought could be my hair, so I sat up a little straighter.  Quite and interesting 2 hours.

• Like 2

@jpalbny You are correct with Cairo (and obviously the Nile river) but where oh where in Cairo. We visited this place during our overnight in Cairo in 2012. There were riots a few days before we arrived. We were only allowed to visit with armed guards in our small group, pretty scary.

Theo

1427131364_P1100302-Copy(Small).JPG.fdc1aa8d42a951b09b1a6f91527ac21f.JPG

You got it. This was inside a small monument of sorts. The guide did tell us what the meaning was but I have a senior moment and forgot what it was. Here is a picture of the small monument.

Your turn.

TheoP1100267.thumb.JPG.7c1adbd3b3d83f89001828fb78e3b280.JPG

Edited by Renmar