alaska cruises

simong

On 10/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, simong said:

looking at cruises to alaska in july from sf what is likelyhood they go 

Your cruise will operate as scheduled. Alaska is our favorite cruise location and we sail there yearly (well,,,, except this year). We have an Alaska cruise scheduled in May. We had 5 cancelled cruises in the past year, so we have our fingers crossed. 

On 10/9/2020 at 8:50 PM, JAMESCC said:

Yes, I read up on that pandemic lasting about 2 years. That is why I sure "hopefully" and we are bit further ahead in medicine and science then 1918. 
Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

You think? (Not trying to be smart.) Actually, I agree with you.

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
Add a thought.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, chipmaster said:

You could have said September is so far away this past March, and look where we are, maybe things will change come winter and indeed 6 months is a long time if people willing to make the necessary sacrifices. 

I did. I was seriously considering the Sept cruise, Vancouver/Hawaii/Tahiti. But just because it took seven months so far, that doesn't mean it will take another seven months. I think a lot of progress has been made. 

5 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

My main concern now is the Canadian ports. US cruising looks like it may be slowly starting. Our cruise is 7/17 out of LA. Keeping our fingers crossed as it will be our 25th wedding anniversary. 

We will be with you celebrating our 35th anniversary

• Like 2

I'm doing Alaska in July and am feeling pretty hopeful about it.  I work in hospital pharmacy, and we've received direction from the FDA and CDC regarding what the vaccine storage requirements will be once a vaccine is approved.  No ETA for said vaccine, but the fact that they are directing hospitals and public health on the specialized freezers to purchase to store this future vaccine are encouraging to me.  My hospital has just received our -80 degrees celsius freezer, and we are just awaiting the FDA approval and release of the vaccine.  I for one will be first in line with my arm out.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:18 PM, simong said:

looking at cruises to alaska in july from sf what is likelyhood they go 

Unlikely. The logistical requirements are simply to great. Based on various public statements, if a vaccine was approved by the end of October sufficient doses for distribution to non essential people would likely occur sometime in June or July 2021. Full inoculation of the population is not likely to occur before late 2022.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:40 AM, voljeep said:

Princess staff would be utilized - no locals involved

I doubt Canada would cede any border authority to Princess employees. Besides, how would one handle a medical emergency without Canadian intervention?

I'm doing Alaska in July and am feeling pretty hopeful about it.  I work in hospital pharmacy, and we've received direction from the FDA and CDC regarding what the vaccine storage requirements will be once a vaccine is approved.  No ETA for said vaccine, but the fact that they are directing hospitals and public health on the specialized freezers to purchase to store this future vaccine are encouraging to me.  My hospital has just received our -80 degrees celsius freezer, and we are just awaiting the FDA approval and release of the vaccine.  I for one will be first in line with my arm out.
I would have been first on line for the vaccine but too much politics have been introduced into the CDC and FDA.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

While the pharma companies may have geared up and be ready to produce millions of doses, and places like your hospital pharmacy may have a freezer capable of maintaining the temperature needed for the vaccine, the big hurdle is the transportation of this vaccine, while maintaining the required temperature.  This ranges from the dangers of using dry ice on aircraft, to a shortage of dry ice currently, to even having sufficient glass vials capable of these temperatures.

From the NYT:

"In a presentation to the White House coronavirus task force last month, Kathleen Dooling, a disease expert with the C.D.C., said strict temperature requirements “will make it very difficult for community clinics and local pharmacies to store and administer.” She said the vaccine would have to be dispensed “at centralized sites with adequate equipment and high throughput.” It’s not clear where those sites will be or who will administer the vaccines."

• Like 2

chengkp75

Product packaged in dry ice can be shipped by air. Packaging must allow the evaporation and release of the CO2 gas to prevent a pressure explosion. The amount of dry ice by weight as well as some other required language and labelling must on the outside of the package. In my pre-retirement employment we packaged and air shipped vaccines around the world in dry ice all the time. Our packaging maintained required temperatures for 5 days @ 30 degrees C. Your information regarding shortages of dry ice, vials as well as outside packaging and local storage is on target and will present difficult logistics issues.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

chengkp75

Product packaged in dry ice can be shipped by air. Packaging must allow the evaporation and release of the CO2 gas to prevent a pressure explosion. The amount of dry ice by weight as well as some other required language and labelling must on the outside of the package. In my pre-retirement employment we packaged and air shipped vaccines around the world in dry ice all the time. Our packaging maintained required temperatures for 5 days @ 30 degrees C. Your information regarding shortages of dry ice, vials as well as outside packaging and local storage is on target and will present difficult logistics issues.

Small consignments in dry ice is one thing, a whole planeload releasing CO2 will create a toxic atmosphere in the plane.  Did you mean -30*C?, cause 30*C is pretty hot.  While I think the difficulties in air and road transportation will be overcome, I don't believe it will happen in the time frame being touted in order to get the millions of doses distributed quickly.

• Thanks 1