COVID-19 Surging Across Europe

Ride-The-Waves

1 minute ago, hcat said:

We are still good with  sanitizers, wipes and soap..just hope the tp lasts!

Same here. Back in spring it was insanity with the tp situation. Amazing to see how people were scalping on eBay, etc. charging a small amount for a pack of tp but then charging like $75 to ship it!!  I'm sure some people, out of desperation, probably paid whatever. 

11 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

In the meantime 10,000 people have signed up for a "mock" cruise with Royal Caribbean.  Whatever that implies.  Sea Dream is using significantly stricter protocols for screening passengers and crew over what CRG will be doing with a much larger and diverse group of people (Sea Dream I has 56 passengers and 66 crew on board).  Way too early for fake cruising as cases in the US spike over 150,000 each day.

Especially since someone willing to accept the risk of going on a cruise is likely to accept doing other risky behaviors.

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Have to start getting the virus under some measure of control before even starting to think about cruising.  Oh well, as per the boss - it's only because we do so much testing that we have so many cases. 😆

I heard that speech, too. I guess the reason for the huge number of deaths is also due to the fact that this administration is testing more than anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I heard that speech, too. I guess the reason for the huge number of deaths is also due to the fact that this administration is testing more than anywhere else in the world.

China is and has tested far more than an country in the world.

• Like 1

It's surging just about everywhere.  Since this thread was started the US has jumped to the forefront of global COVID-19 infection rate.  The US is considered an advanced country with a good medical system, yet cannot protect its own people.   That is an extremely sad commentary on the US response to getting control of the pandemic.  

Because of the US inability to appropriately engage this enemy, and it is an enemy, other countries including the EU have restricted travel of AMCITs to their countries.  I have been around for a long time, my parents were reassigned to Amsterdam in 1949, and have never experienced this type animosity towards the simple fact that one is a US citizen.  Yes, countries have said bad things about Americans for our policies, wars and political objectives.  This is different.  It's like we are not welcome anymore as humans in the community of humanity.  I served for three years in the US embassy in Belgrade, Yugoslavia during the "Cold War" period.  Even then, locals still thanked us for what the US did during WWII to liberate them from war and fascism.  

We are not going to get through this alone.  We need to work with others.  We need to lead the effort to eradicate COVID-19.  It is important for America to use its resources together with others to fight this virus.  

163,402 new US cases yesterday!   Brings sad and scary tears to my eyes.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First, I would like to say that I don't think anyone has anything against Americans, per se. Our borders are closed only because of Covid. Many Canadians are closely attached to the US, both with family and friends and vacation properties.

One universal problem is that people are fed up. They are not being cautious and they are not following rules or requests. People are getting together for meals, etc and it is not safe. Although we are partially in lockdown, our government insisted on opening the schools and that has become a source of many cases.

Wherever you live, unless each and every person makes a huge effort, this will continue until we are all vaccinated. And then there will be the anti-vaccers! It's going to be a loooong winter.  stay safe

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

First, I would like to say that I don't think anyone has anything against Americans, per se. Our borders are closed only because of Covid. Many Canadians are closely attached to the US, both with family and friends and vacation properties.

One universal problem is that people are fed up. They are not being cautious and they are not following rules or requests. People are getting together for meals, etc and it is not safe. Although we are partially in lockdown, our government insisted on opening the schools and that has become a source of many cases.

Wherever you live, unless each and every person makes a huge effort, this will continue until we are all vaccinated. And then there will be the anti-vaccers! It's going to be a loooong winter.  stay safe

All are such valid points!  I know it is redundant, but we are truly all in this together.  Let's please each do our part.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I am still waiting for the day  when it  has sank in - this virus does not know any borders- we are in this together.

I generally agree... however, looking at the US / Canada border is a different thing!

And Canada’s success can be seen by the red line of cases on the incident maps. 

Your statement is generally correct - assuming that actions to fight the virus and the spread are equal on both sides of a border.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is different.  It's like we are not welcome anymore as humans in the community of humanity.

Although I don’t think it’s that bad, I generally agree. As you know, we live in Germany. For over 40 years I have my roots, heart and soul in both places - the US and Europe. So I am definitely looking at it from both sides.

The political behavior, rhetoric and disregard of common respect of the past few years is something Europeans - and I think also the rest of the world - were used to from African warlords and corrupt middle American and Eastern nations - but not from a first world nation and our partner, the US. At first some thought it was funny, then not so much any more.

When corona came, they couldn’t believe what they saw happening in the US. I was often asked: how can it be? And believe me, I sometimes answered: “I don’t know...” and my eyes welled up. I had no excuse or even plausible explanation for the senseless waste of lives happening. We saw people/friends die on an unbelievable scale.

Whenever we met Americans in Europe we were happy to chat and exchange information and tried to give insider tips due to our experiences in Europe... the past few years even we became careful to talk to people, because we never knew which side they were on. And there were just soooo many things we couldn’t listen to any more. 

The rest of the world has high hopes that things will improve - on all fronts. We hope that the approach to fighting corona will improve and we hope that dealing with justified and undoubtedly existing political differences and issues will get back to a way which is more appropriate for “adults”.

We all live on the same planet. It is round... What goes around comes around... we have to stand together!

Some trust will have to be rebuilt and the tone will have to get back to a more respectful level - but the arms and doors are open!!!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Miamimice:  Well said and thank you.  I also have connections in both continents: an American who grew up in the Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland graduating high school from the International School of Geneva.  We had students from over 80 nationalities in attendance.  In the 2nd grade attending Dutch public schools (early 1950s) I spoke only Dutch.  I am equally at home in Switzerland as I am in our current location, west-central Florida.  I have traveled the world for both my career and for pleasure: all 7 continents.  My experiences living in eastern Europe in the late 1980s reinforced that all of us, irregardless of the latest structure of borders, want the same things as humans.

I fully agree with your thesis.  I do hope that we can come together once again, as humans have in the past to fight fascism and other threats to peaceful living, to fight this new threat.  We have to have the personal and political will to do that, and especially to work together.

Stay safe!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

China is and has tested far more than an country in the world.

I guess I’m skeptical of any numbers coming out of China.  Johns Hopkins is reporting 216 new cases and 1 death in the past week.  While I understand things work differently in China and the Government has significant power over its citizens I fail to see how the numbers are that low given their population and how hard they were hit in the beginning.

Be safe everyone, we’re in this together and won’t be safe until there is a vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RickT said:

I guess I’m skeptical of any numbers coming out of China.  Johns Hopkins is reporting 216 new cases and 1 death in the past week.  While I understand things work differently in China and the Government has significant power over its citizens I fail to see how the numbers are that low given their population and how hard they were hit in the beginning.

Be safe everyone, we’re in this together and won’t be safe until there is a vaccine.

It is will not important what other countries are , but what your own area is doing 

in Toronto area it is a ***** show, we over 1000 new cares a day 

we are 60 miles east of Toronto and there are only been 57 cases total 

if we just look after our own circle we will get out this sooner than later 

• Like 2

As a Brit there are simple reasons why some countries came off worse than others.  Some countries, like mine, have all 3 in the bag hence the rise. 

1) Overcrowded regions and countries 

2) Useless government acting too late/not enough measures

3) Residents of said country ignoring the rules en masse

On the TP issue, I don't see why people went crazy over it. I would pick various food items that help my health over having TP. You can live and be healthy without it...just look at certain areas in Asian nations and others. Their 'method' is fine because that's how they have always done it. Just remember your left and your right.

Edited by Velvetwater
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

On the TP issue, I don't see why people went crazy over it. I would pick various food items that help my health over having TP. You can live and be healthy without it...

A friend in the UK who caught Covid , said it was nice to have the extra TP around 

or is that too much info 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Miaminice:

Maybe someone needs to start a thread: "Characters I've Met on a Cruise."

Agree:  ...the past few years even we became careful to talk to people, because we never knew which side they were on.

Three quick incidents experienced by an "old white guy."

- On Azamara late evening snack in the buffet...  I was sitting by myself having soup when a well dressed white gentleman asked if he could join me - place was about 80 percent empty.  Sure.  Once seated he started a diatribe on federal restrictions on public lands and national parks claiming they were his to use.  He was from Arizona and claimed he had a right to run his cattle on government land without  compensation.  I offered some alternative ideas, like the land belongs to all Americans...  He up and left.

- On RCG's Navigator eating breakfast again by myself a grizzled old white guy sat down across from me and following a few pleasantries started blasting President Obama claiming he was initiating a coup to seize land and oust white people from the country!  This was Jade Helm 15 for reference.  Having spend 4 years working at USSOCOM and in Washington DC, plus my 30 years on active duty, I offered that is was national level homeland security exercise with special operations forces.  He frowned, growled a bit, and up and left with some nasty parting words about Obama.  I felt fortunate not to have something thrown my way.

- Back on Azamara many years ago departing Venice (IT) for Rome via Split, Dubrovnik and Bari (IT) we came across a nice couple while dining in the buffet.  We chatted, exchange pleasantries and thoughts on cruising.  They were Americans from New Jersey, new cruisers, on board solely for the Bari stop planning to visit relatives about 30kms north of Bari.  Following departure from Bari we again met up with them in the buffet and heard the horror stories of dealing with foreign (non-US) currency, people who didn't speak English, strange signs and weird people...  I was still working at the time and we exchanged backgrounds: his was in "waste management."  Really!  Okay...  For the next 5 days we didn't see them anywhere.  My thinking is that my career in intelligence scared him off...him being in "waste management" and from New Jersey!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The US is considered an advanced country with a good medical system, yet cannot protect its own people.   That is an extremely sad commentary on the US response to getting control of the pandemic.  

Absolutely!! I'm gobsmacked that, with the (supposedly?) advanced level of medical technology, that a new virus couldn't be brought under control much sooner. I admit to not knowing much about the intricacies of developing a vaccine - and likely that's the culprit - that it is a long process - but, still, expected much better much sooner. 

33 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Agree:  ...the past few years even we became careful to talk to people, because we never knew which side they were on.

So...best is not to delve into politics on a cruise unless certain the other party is on the same wavelength! 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Absolutely!! I'm gobsmacked that, with the (supposedly?) advanced level of medical technology, that a new virus couldn't be brought under control much sooner. I admit to not knowing much about the intricacies of developing a vaccine - and likely that's the culprit - that it is a long process - but, still, expected much better much sooner. 

the pharmaceutical and medical developments in fighting the virus are moving at record speed. much faster that expected. the reduction in fatality rates shows how well medical treatment has moved, even without new therapeutics.

It is the governmental,  social and personal responsibility areas where we have failed, and continue to do so.

Our parents and grandparents dealt with world wars, we cannot deal with wearing a mask and social distancing.

• Like 4