COVID-19 Surging Across Europe

Ride-The-Waves

181,196 new cases in the US today.  Horrific!  Scary and very sad.  Agonizing.

The US federal government has to get directly involved, NOW!  We can't wait.  Up 18,000 in one day with no upward ceiling visible.  

We are safe at home - at least have a semblance of safety.  Wash hands, use sanitizer, stay isolated as much as possible.  Tomorrow, early Sunday, we do need to make out bi-weekly trip to the grocery store for staples (like Goldfish!).  Publix is not busy AMs on Sunday.  Maybe a trip to COSTCO Monday to pick up a bundle of TP and stop by the credit union for cash to give to organizations helping and feeding others this Thanksgiving.  It's going to be a very difficult winter in the US this year.

And, obviously no thoughts about when cruising will be available again - in whatever form it will take.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

So...best is not to delve into politics on a cruise unless certain the other party is on the same wavelength! 

100% agree! It‘s just that it seems like it’s always people definitely NOT on the same wavelength (sometimes it feels like not even on the same planet) who force the subjects upon you. And the more you are trying to change the subject the more they find their missionary calling 😉😁

But on a lighter note I would like to mention a situation which turned out to be very funny and still makes us laugh today.

DW and I took a train to Herculaneum on our last stop in Naples. Once there, we bought tickets and were approached by a guide who asked if we were interested in a tour. We speak German, English, French and a little Italian. To share the cost we asked a group of six Americans waiting in line if they‘d be interested in joining the tour. They were, so together with them we did the tour in English. Out of courtesy to others, DW and I speak Englisch while amongst English speaking people. And of course we spoke English to the rest of the group. Only at the end of the tour we thanked the guide in Italian and she answered in German to us.

Apparently surprised one of the Americans asked where we were from. You need to know that DW has a British accent and I can’t (and don’t want to) hide my American history. When we explained that we live in Germany he looked at us and said: “Oh, we heard in Germany you have this refugee thing...” 

We became quiet and thought “Oh no, here we go again...” expecting another rant about refugees and another conversation perfectly capable of ruining our good mood. He looked at us and said: “I was wondering, would you accept Americans as refugees?”  😂

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Miaminice said:

100% agree! It‘s just that it seems like it’s always people definitely NOT on the same wavelength (sometimes it feels like not even on the same planet) who force the subjects upon you. And the more you are trying to change the subject the more they find their missionary calling 😉😁

But on a lighter note I would like to mention a situation which turned out to be very funny and still makes us laugh today.

DW and I took a train to Herculaneum on our last stop in Naples. Once there, we bought tickets and were approached by a guide who asked if we were interested in a tour. We speak German, English, French and a little Italian. To share the cost we asked a group of six Americans waiting in line if they‘d be interested in joining the tour. They were, so together with them we did the tour in English. Out of courtesy to others, DW and I speak Englisch while amongst English speaking people. And of course we spoke English to the rest of the group. Only at the end of the tour we thanked the guide in Italian and she answered in German to us.

Apparently surprised one of the Americans asked where we were from. You need to know that DW has a British accent and I can’t (and don’t want to) hide my American history. When we explained that we live in Germany he looked at us and said: “Oh, we heard in Germany you have this refugee thing...” 

We became quiet and thought “Oh no, here we go again...” expecting another rant about refugees and another conversation perfectly capable of ruining our good mood. He looked at us and said: “I was wondering, would you accept Americans as refugees?”  😂

:classic_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

More Seadream news from Ben & David - at least one crew member positive:

image.png.14a632f1110bd107189582340c9653a5.png

Then they were allowed to fly home! Even with positive cases showing up. 😔

image.png.6b95f2b10306f0f9c3219be95cb9b0bb.png

This pic says it all.  As much as I enjoy Ben & David's youtube page...they IMO made a reckless decision.  I think in the interest of beefing up their viewership.

2 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

this vaccine only needs to keep Ed at -20°c , same as chicken pox vaccine 😀

So, you’re saying that when it becomes available for general use I’ll be able to safely transport it around town on the back seat of my car?

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

So, you’re saying that when it becomes available for general use I’ll be able to safely transport it around town on the back seat of my car?

Maybe peddle it door to door. Do-it-yourself kit: comes with a small mirror and instructions.."inject HERE".

Remember that about 50 percent of Americans have claimed that will not take the vaccine.  And, as WHO pointed out today, it's not the vaccine that saves lives, it's the vaccination.  The COVID-19 vaccines are unproven and currently reflect only the information offered by the labs.  Latest tally is 60,000 deaths and 4million new cases globally per week for COVID-19.  

Getting it to people "in the back seat of a car" is an option.  During the anthrax threats of the early 2000s the USG considered the US Postal Service as the best and fastest modality to get Cipro distributed in the US.  Why USPS?  Because your "mailman/woman" know the route and the people living on their routes.

So, how fast, presuming there was sufficient serum, can 7 and a half billion people be vaccinated and considering that a significant number will not present themselves for the prophylaxis and given that the the coronavirus mutates?  I think I did a similar math problem in 9th grade...not considering governmental intransigence and malfeasance and human greed along the way.  Can humanity vaccinate 20million people per day?  

14 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

On the bright side, COVID has cured the flu. 

image.thumb.gif.c1914621c4bd472003f312139aa05740.gif

There are some obvious answers to this, but if you would like the whole scientific explanation, you will find it below.  In summary, masks, stay at home orders, closures.  Common sense, really.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

It's a bit early to be making any claim about the flu this year, even one as ridiculous as yours. Typically flu cases don't start to peak until December and Jan. But hopefully the public health awareness programs encouraging people to get their shot, plus the current COVID mitigation measures will see a decrease in cases this year.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

notice week 44 is just the beginning.  Will be a more drastic comparison at week 52+

This is going to wreck havock with the "excess deaths" model though, as flu deaths plummet for 20-21 season.  Can already see the conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodworks.

In the US even some naysayers about COVID-19 are beginning to be concerned.  US Senator Portman (R) claiming a "third wave" has hit the US and is now endorsing masks and distancing, and also vaccination against the coronavirus.  "We have to be sure people are vaccinated..." he said, citing the latest data that 42 percent of Americans would not get the vaccine even if free, down from 50 percent.  

• Like 1

While it's too early to know what will happen over the remaining months of the flu season, cases are down 98% in Canada. Masks, social distancing, hand washing and vaccinations have had a definite impact on the flu, even if control of COVID-19 remains elusive pre vaccine.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/flu-season-canada-2020_ca_5fb3e93fc5b6d891cd7b4678?ncid=newsltcahpmgnews

Edited by Fouremco

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

While it's too early to know what will happen over the remaining months of the flu season, cases are down 98% in Canada. Masks, social distancing, hand washing and vaccinations have had a definite impact on the flu, even if control of COVID-19 remains elusive pre vaccine.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/flu-season-canada-2020_ca_5fb3e93fc5b6d891cd7b4678?ncid=newsltcahpmgnews

Do you really believe there were only 711 cases of flu as of this date in the 2019-2020 flu season in Canada?  Arizona had thousands.  Canada (and the US) simply put is not doing the lab test required to verify flu. The estimate of flu deaths each year was 3500 from the Canada Government web site.  Huffington published poorly researched piece.

PS 33C here today.  Flu season starts in December here.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Do you really believe there were only 711 cases of flu as of this date in the 2019-2020 flu season in Canada?  Arizona had thousands.  Canada (and the US) simply put is not doing the lab test required to verify flu. The estimate of flu deaths each year was 3500 from the Canada Government web site.  Huffington published poorly researched piece.

PS 33C here today.  Flu season starts in December here.

would help to read the article.

"This despite testing more than twice as many people for flu than usual — almost 10,000 tests done in the first week of November, compared to a six-year average of about 4,500."

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/flu/index.php#surveillance-influenza-season

edited: didn't read yours correctly.  Don't want to do the math but at this point over average, az also in the few hundreds of cases, not thousands by season average.

Edited by UnorigionalName

23 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

would help to read the article.

"This despite testing more than twice as many people for flu than usual — almost 10,000 tests done in the first week of November, compared to a six-year average of about 4,500."

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/flu/index.php#surveillance-influenza-season

edited: didn't read yours correctly.  Don't want to do the math but at this point over average, az also in the few hundreds of cases, not thousands by season average.

Flu season doesn't start in Arizona until December.  Cases both years that were lab confirmed very small. Under 250.  Tucson has about 10 cases so far.  Insignificant.  Also testing is not generally being done for flu - just COVID as labs are buried.  October and November so far here 15F above average.  92F here today.  

Weather in Canada very different.  Last time I looked at my summer home there was snow on the ground.  Cold and wet.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat