UK Gov set to ease measures

molecrochip

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never had any to either disagree or agree with me personally but the same few, and they know who they are, commented repeatedly on here about docking of ships at ports and that Captain's on P&O ships were always to quick to cancel ports. I think the only ship some of the "experts" have ever had to control is the ones they play with in the bath.

Many a cruise has had last minute altered itineraries (Captain announcing, we will not be calling at...) usually because of trying to dodge or outrun bad weather, sometimes because of strikes, uprisings or civil unrest.

Maybe people forget that in the latter case, the advice has almost certainly come from the FCO that it would not be a good idea to go ahead with a call at xxx, and in the former case people forget that while the ship may be perfectly capable of coping with a storm, the same cannot always be said about the passengers.

I am pretty sure that both the cruise company and the captain would much prefer to stick to the original itinerary, if only to save on the additional telephone and paperwork hours to put changes into effect. It is not done on a whim.

• Like 2

Well, my personal opinion is that the vaccines are both a cause for optimism AND pessimism.

Pessimism: As yet, nobody is really sure how long it will take to roll out, how long immunity will last, and whether it will prevent transmission or not.

And, like any drug, until it has been in widespread use for some time, nobody can know about long term side effects.

Optimism: There are several vaccines looking very hopeful, based on various different systems, so if one does not work as well as hoped, another probably will.

Optimism: More and more treatments are being discovered to either stop people ending up in intensive care, or to get them treated and back out of intensive care.

Optimism: Cruise lines are working with Governments, medical advisors, and each other to resume sailing.

Pessimism: There are a lot of things totally outside the control of the cruise line. Most countries will now be very, very nervous about this and any other potential virus, so one cough and you could be back on board locked in your cabin.

Pessimism: I won't be even looking at itineraries until 2022, when I will have a much better idea how things are going (and which lines are  still in business.

Optimism: There are enough people ready to get back on board ASAP to test things out to be able to wait. Thank you.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never had any to either disagree or agree with me personally but the same few, and they know who they are, commented repeatedly on here about docking of ships at ports and that Captain's on P&O ships were always to quick to cancel ports. I think the only ship some of the "experts" have ever had to control is the ones they play with in the bath.

I prefer to play with my submarine in the bath.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Well put. When did being realistic become being "wallowing" in pessimism 

That all depends on the realism., assuming that the problems encountered on a tiny cruise ship will automatically transfer to any other cruise line is not only unproven, but quite likely to be unrealistic; except in the eyes of someone who is exceedingly pessimistic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That all depends on the realism., assuming that the problems encountered on a tiny cruise ship will automatically transfer to any other cruise line is not only unproven, but quite likely to be unrealistic; except in the eyes of someone who is exceedingly pessimistic.

I've never made any comments about CV19 issues on a small cruise ship!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

putting  labels on people,  makes it difficult to converse with you.  

I fully agree, no good comes of it and some labels are a complete waste of time .

I once  bought some body spray and on the can  it had a label that said ,....

"Avoid Contact With Eyes"

TOO LATE !     I'd already seen it, a complete waste of time & label :classic_unsure:

Some labels are handy though :classic_wink: :classic_smile: but not on people .

cat.jpg.770ef85e9e7abd3823d5dfcc7cf5c396.jpg ff97a2013b87a49cccd459ac.jpg.ce00522334c5adff8b1c034a443302fc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

I fully agree, no good comes of it and some labels are a complete waste of time .

TOO LATE !     I'd already seen it, a complete waste of time & label :classic_unsure:

cat.jpg.770ef85e9e7abd3823d5dfcc7cf5c396.jpg ff97a2013b87a49cccd459ac.jpg.ce00522334c5adff8b1c034a443302fc.jpg

😂

Cute cat 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Almost the exact opposite to the UK research released a month ago that said 6 months max!

As I am 10 days in my covid19 illness and hopefully starting to feel a little better this is excellent news if it is proved correct.

Graham.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Why respond to Wowzz, when I made the comment?

For the record, I didn't say 'automatically', I said likely'.

You are also continuing to put labels on people, which makes it difficult to converse with you.  

I am sorry that you object to me thinking you are extremely pessimistic, but I only have your posts on which to make this assessment.  I will be only too happy to revise my view when I see your sunnier posts.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kalos said:

Kalos, I don’t know how you do it but you always make  light of things and come up with some funny one liners and you certainly put a smile on my face and always cheer me up 😂😇

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

As I am 10 days in my covid19 illness and hopefully starting to feel a little better this is excellent news if it is proved correct.

Graham.

That's good news Graham, and the even better news is that some new research seems to point to the antibody protection of covid patients could be lasting much longer than first thought, or at least that's something I read on-line today.  Of course I have no idea if it's true or fake news, so please accept my apologies in advance if it turns out to be incorrect.😇

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

Graham it’s good to hear your feeling a little better and I hope Pauline is still keeping well , keep chin up and rest lots 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Shudder to think what you use as your periscope 🥵

Want to see my periscope, baby?

picture of USS Florida SSGN-728 (formerly SSBN-728) Control Room

Now you've seen my periscope. :) Well not mine, but this is a picture of the Control Room on my first boat, after it was converted to SSGN; it looks pretty much the same. 🙂 Control is a combination of the bridge and the Combat Information Center on a surface ship. We don't have an actual bridge except when we're running on the surface. Then the officer of deck and two enlisted lookouts go to the top of the sail (the square part on top of the boat) and the OOD gives orders from there. The periscope is retracted when we're deeper than Periscope Depth; there's nothing to see anyway. Sonar is much more effective. (light basically doesn't penetrate below 200 feet or so.)

Our periscopes are immediately behind (aft of) where the Captain is standing (Commander Ott), on the raised platform. The officer in the blue Poopy Suit (jumpsuit uniform) near the periscopes is the officer of the deck. 🙂 They are probably still submerged, since he is not looking through the periscope. When I wasn't doing sonar, I sometimes stood helm/planes. The helm/planes watches are the guys seated with their hands on yokes in front of them (Seaman Porter and Petty Officer Curran). Normally the guy on the left (starboard, we are facing aft) controls course and the guy on the right (port) controls the depth control planes and sets the bubble (angle of the boat) in accordance with the orders of the Diving Officer of the Watch, who is in this picture apparently Senior Chief Moore. His job is "to reach and maintain ordered depth". Petty Officer Gibson to their right (port/inboard) is Chief of the Watch. He controls the gas mixture, tanks, water movement etc. (the DOOW will tell him how much water to take on or pump out in order to become bouyant at ordered depth. Yes, basically they're doing Archimedes Law. The qual cards for both these watches are almost as long as my qual card for becoming Qualified in Submarines.)

(and lmao at your post.)

Edited by neutrino78x

1 hour ago, neutrino78x said:

Want to see my periscope, baby?

picture of USS Florida SSGN-728 (formerly SSBN-728) Control Room

Now you've seen my periscope. :) Well not mine, but this is a picture of the Control Room on my first boat, after it was converted to SSGN; it looks pretty much the same. 🙂 Control is a combination of the bridge and the Combat Information Center on a surface ship. We don't have an actual bridge except when we're running on the surface. Then the officer of deck and two enlisted lookouts go to the top of the sail (the square part on top of the boat) and the OOD gives orders from there. The periscope is retracted when we're deeper than Periscope Depth; there's nothing to see anyway. Sonar is much more effective. (light basically doesn't penetrate below 200 feet or so.)

Our periscopes are immediately behind (aft of) where the Captain is standing (Commander Ott), on the raised platform. The officer in the blue Poopy Suit (jumpsuit uniform) near the periscopes is the officer of the deck. 🙂 They are probably still submerged, since he is not looking through the periscope. When I wasn't doing sonar, I sometimes stood helm/planes. The helm/planes watches are the guys seated with their hands on yokes in front of them (Seaman Porter and Petty Officer Curran). Normally the guy on the left (starboard, we are facing aft) controls course and the guy on the right (port) controls the depth control planes and sets the bubble (angle of the boat) in accordance with the orders of the Diving Officer of the Watch, who is in this picture apparently Senior Chief Moore. His job is "to reach and maintain ordered depth". Petty Officer Gibson to their right (port/inboard) is Chief of the Watch. He controls the gas mixture, tanks, water movement etc. (the DOOW will tell him how much water to take on or pump out in order to become bouyant at ordered depth. Yes, basically they're doing Archimedes Law. The qual cards for both these watches are almost as long as my qual card for becoming Qualified in Submarines.)

(and lmao at your post.)

My submarine's more impressive when it blows it's ballast tanks and surfaces.

• Haha 1

So there I was, reading this thread and hoping the more personal rhetoric would cool and either the thread would peter out or would change direction

... people, listen to the wisdom of the ages - be careful what you wish for 😂

• Like 6