HAL Restart?

Charlie1422

We just booked Nieuw Statendam for April 2021 after having our two previously scheduled cruises cancelled.  We picked April hoping to avoid further disappointment. My thought being if HAL is not sailing by then they will not be able to survive. Wondering what my fellow HAL cruisers think?

There are MANY discussions here about what people think about the viability of Carnival Corp and HAL. Almost all speculation. The best info is they have money enoungh to last until at least June or July, if they aren't sailing. Check around  the board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So many factors to consider and most of us are just "armchair speculators."

We moved our Alaskan 2020 cruise to June 2021. Even if HAL is cruising by then, the other question arises, will Vancouver be open to Americans?

Luckily we have until mid March to make final payment or just seek refund of our deposit and shore excursions.

Until then, like all of you, we just wait!

Edited by PROCRUISE

I am booked on Konigsdam for April 21.  Certainly hoping that a vaccine is available and that Hal is sailing by then. If not, I am also booked on  Volendam 11/21. I am more optimistic about the Nov. cruise than the April cruise. 

We are booked on Nieuw Statendam 1/6/21 for 21 days. Our roll call is getting it on. Yeah, some have bailed on us, but we still have a good group going (I hope). I did speculate that if we get cancelled, maybe we would meet at someone's house for a full day of revelry. No takers.

We have the cat sitter lined up and all is ready (no luggage yet as the cat goes nutso). I cannot imagine it not happening. I am not even crossing my fingers. I need this time away!!

Jim

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

My bet is that the Alaska season will happen.  Alaska lost a whole year of tourist dollars in 2020.  HAL needs to get their ships sailing and Alaska needs the revenue.  Other than that, who knows.  

The Alaskan senator plans to introduce a Bill to temporarily suspend Jones

https://www.alaskajournal.com/2020-10-21/young-pitches-jones-act-waiver-aid-cruise-ships

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Suspending the Jones Act temporarily may well help not only the Alaskan cruises but other cruises that could take place in other areas of our country.

I doubt it will happen unless by executive order and I think there are more important issues at the moment.  I think there will be a vaccine prior to the Alaskan cruise season and this is all gone.  However this incident may lead to a future change and the act may be removed.   In other circles outside of cruise critic we discuss unexpected outcomes from these type of Black Swan events. This could be just the impetus to remove this barrier. 

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The Alaskan senator plans to introduce a Bill to temporarily suspend Jones

https://www.alaskajournal.com/2020-10-21/young-pitches-jones-act-waiver-aid-cruise-ships

Thanks for the link.   I’m pretty sure the demand is there, especially if a vaccine is available.  We booked an August Alaska cruise expecting this would be sorted out by then.  I do hope the cruise lines require proof of a vaccine before boarding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Suspending the Jones Act temporarily may well help not only the Alaskan cruises but other cruises that could take place in other areas of our country.

Agree, and it would help out other American ports. Imagine how much more business Seattle and San Francisco would get if Vancouver stays closed to Americans. 

10 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Agree, and it would help out other American ports. Imagine how much more business Seattle and San Francisco would get if Vancouver stays closed to Americans. 

Suspending it, even for a short time until the cruise industry gets back on its feet, doesn't have a down side that I can see.  To survive, businesses and the government will have to continue to make adjustments and cooperate with each other, IMHO.

I know this topic gets repeated too often, but the "Jones Act" (Merchant Marine Act of 1920) actually refers primarily to commercial shipping and has little to do with the cruise industry and it's cabotage restrictions.  Much of the cruise industry problem lies with the Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 (this is NOT the Jones Act).  So I think that if the AK Congressman wants to help reopen the cruise industry he first needs to think about amending or waiving the correct law :).  That being said I do think we all get the gist  of the subject.

When it comes to "waivers" this is an administrative procedure routinely done by just about every government agency.  Whether it is legally appropriate to simply issue a temporary waiver for the PVSA is a question to answered by government lawyers.  But as one CC poster (who works as a Chief Engineer in the Marine industry) points out, both the Jones Act and PVSA have many international ramifications and complications.  Sometimes it seems that nothing in Washington DC is easy and this may not be an exception.

Hank

• Like 1