Discovery Princess update??

suzyed

That November launch may not be accurate.  With the pandemic, the build is or at least was behind schedule.  Most hopeful early Discovery passengers, myself included,  are looking for updates on the build.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tak8 said:

That November launch may not be accurate.  With the pandemic, the build is or at least was behind schedule.  Most hopeful early Discovery passengers, myself included,  are looking for updates on the build.  

Same here.  With COVID outbreaks rising in Europe, I doubt that the ship will be ready as original scheduled.

The ship dockyard stopped working for 4 months.  Will they be able to catch up?

I have 9 cabins booked on the Discovery Dec 2021.  I am not sure the ship will be ready.  I also booked another cruise on the Enchanted Dec 2021 and will decide closer to final to decide which cruise.

My guess - Discovery launches in Europe in Spring 2022 and spends a full season there. Late fall 2022 she maybe goes around South America to California. The positioning of Majestic to California for Fall 2021 to Spring 2022 on the same itineraries Discovery was slated for pretty much indicate Princess is anticipating that Discovery will be 4-5 months late. 

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

My guess - Discovery launches in Europe in Spring 2022 and spends a full season there. Late fall 2022 she maybe goes around South America to California. The positioning of Majestic to California for Fall 2021 to Spring 2022 on the same itineraries Discovery was slated for pretty much indicate Princess is anticipating that Discovery will be 4-5 months late. 

Interesting thought about Majestic. Hoping Princess will be open about the potential delay as currently have three cruises booked on Discovery - November 21 TA and two in March 22. I cannot see any of them going ahead but am unable to change the booking without incurring further costs so will have to wait.

Edited by Geoffa30

I have heard rumors, and I stress that these are rumors, that Princess hopes to have the Discovery ready on time.  In any case we are keeping our booking for the Trans-Atlantic on Discovery, and in fact if they delay, will just rebook when they do make the crossing. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 9:51 AM, stevenr597 said:

I have heard rumors, and I stress that these are rumors, that Princess hopes to have the Discovery ready on time.  In any case we are keeping our booking for the Trans-Atlantic on Discovery, and in fact if they delay, will just rebook when they do make the crossing. 

Fingers crossed!! We are due to board in Rome on the 24th for the TA.  Doing a 6 day land tour before hand...hope it goes!!

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

Now two concerns:  will the ship be ready in time and will the 7 day cruise limit be lifted?

As soon as we have a vaccine, I do feel that the 7 day limit will be llifted.  Hope to start to see a vaccine next month. 

15 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

As soon as we have a vaccine, I do feel that the 7 day limit will be lifted.  Hope to start to see a vaccine next month. 

Unless you are a front line worker (such as a doctor or nurse), do not expect to have a vaccine available to you for a number of months.

Cruises will likely resume before vaccines are widely available to the general public, so the cruise lines will have to prove they can safely sail before the CDC would even consider modifying the 7 day limit.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 8:52 PM, suzyed said:

Fingers crossed!! We are due to board in Rome on the 24th for the TA.  Doing a 6 day land tour before hand...hope it goes!!

We're doing the land tour in late October before sailing for 14 days.  Doubt that the land tour will occur.   We were scheduled to do it this year and we saw how that turned out.  Without the land tour, we'll probably cancel the trip.  Additionally, I notice that some of the ports we were scheduled to visit apparently have been dropped from Enchanted Princess sailings in 2021.  

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Unless you are a front line worker (such as a doctor or nurse), do not expect to have a vaccine available to you for a number of months.

Cruises will likely resume before vaccines are widely available to the general public, so the cruise lines will have to prove they can safely sail before the CDC would even consider modifying the 7 day limit.

I believe, and this is my opinion, that "First Responders" will begin to receive vaccination in December.  

Cruises will resume before vaccines are widely available, but they will be restricted in duration, ports visited, and even activities on board. 

On 11/3/2020 at 9:45 AM, Squire5000 said:

We're doing the land tour in late October before sailing for 14 days.  Doubt that the land tour will occur.   We were scheduled to do it this year and we saw how that turned out.  Without the land tour, we'll probably cancel the trip.  Additionally, I notice that some of the ports we were scheduled to visit apparently have been dropped from Enchanted Princess sailings in 2021.  

We're doing land tour too before our sailing.  Do you think they would just cancel the land portion and then adjust the price for just the cruise? Why do you think the land tour might not occur?

On 11/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, stevenr597 said:

As soon as we have a vaccine, I do feel that the 7 day limit will be llifted.  Hope to start to see a vaccine next month. 

Very optimistic. Vaccine more likely to be available to the general population sometime during the 2nd qtr. 2021

On 11/4/2020 at 9:50 PM, suzyed said:

We're doing land tour too before our sailing.  Do you think they would just cancel the land portion and then adjust the price for just the cruise? Why do you think the land tour might not occur?

Canceling the land portion by Princess is always an option which would result in a cruise only cost.  As to why I think they might cancel the land portion:

o. Italy has always been a hot spot of COVID.  Right now, Italy has imposed new restrictions on restaurants, bars, etc. We want to go out and explore.  If Princess tours were to eliminate this option not only would they have a tough time enforcing this restriction, who wants to spend their free time in a hotel room

o. Italy has been one of the hot spots of COVID since it began.  You always would run this risk.  This  alone would make  a land tour unlikely.

o. Other stops on the cruise portion might be severely restricted.  This cruise is  the last "must cruise" we want to take as we crossed all other destinations off our list over the years.    

On 11/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, Squire5000 said:

We're doing the land tour in late October before sailing for 14 days.  Doubt that the land tour will occur.   We were scheduled to do it this year and we saw how that turned out.  Without the land tour, we'll probably cancel the trip. 

Next October is too far in the future from now to have any idea at this time what conditions and restrictions will be then. There may still be a big coronavirus problem then or there may not.

• Like 1

"Princess recently sent emails with 2 promotional videos for Enchanted which is only slightly different than the Sky which we sailed in November 2019. Based on deck plans the Discovery will be similar to the Sky & Enchanted."

Enchanted and Discovery are basically identical. These ships have a few different features from the Sky. A big one is Princess' passenger favorite, Crooner's, which was not included on the Sky. The other is Vines. No Vines on the Enchanted and Discovery. I believe another venue will offer the finer wines in place of Vines.