Princess Cruises Extends Australia / New Zealand Pause Until 31 May 2021

Another sorry memo this morning from Princess Cruises ... surely it won't belong until Royal Caribbean International announce the same.

"Due to the uncertainty about when travel restrictions might be lifted, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in cruise operations departing from Australia through 31 May, 2021 which includes all cruises throughout Australia and New Zealand"

Just now, IMSYDNEYAUS said:

Another sorry memo this morning from Princess Cruises ... surely it won't belong until Royal Caribbean International announce the same.

"Due to the uncertainty about when travel restrictions might be lifted, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in cruise operations departing from Australia through 31 May, 2021 which includes all cruises throughout Australia and New Zealand"

Good to see early notification of the reality. I wonder when/if P&O Oz will be making a similar announcement? 🤔

• Like 1

I didn't think princess were having a winter season in Australia ... or are they hoping to do a few to get a foot hold before the 2021-2022 season.......

It would be a nice thought.......    But I think it is mainly to quell their locals, as a lot seam to think cruising is just going to restart full on our door step...... as they are booking early 2021 for Australia..

Don

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Qantas has announced it is unlikely there will be flights to UK and USA until end of 2021. 

And if the covid stats stay up in Europe/USA, could well be beyond 2021.  Scary.

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I didn't think princess were having a winter season in Australia ... or are they hoping to do a few to get a foot hold before the 2021-2022 season.......

It would be a nice thought.......    But I think it is mainly to quell their locals, as a lot seam to think cruising is just going to restart full on our door step...... as they are booking early 2021 for Australia..

Don

Princess website is only showing cruises from October 2021 onwards now.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that we will be able to resume cruising then but who knows what will happen.

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm just hoping I get my FCD back as an FCD, not FCC, so I get the OBC when I use it again.

Yes a new language has arisen, the cruise language, FCD, FCC, OBC, OPT, MDR, SHOREX etc.😊

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

OMG ***** FFS BFF LOL 🤔🤔🤔 😂

And the WJ , the windjammer buffet, some call it the Food Jammer, lol. You would have been invited up there on RCI, Graham. Just doing quality control for AQUIS,😷

After reading several hours ago of the Princess pause here on CC (see how I'm joining in here?) we have now just received emails from Princess advising of cancellation of our Feb/March '21 cruise on the Sapphire Princess.  First thought ... what took 'em so long to cancel.  We all knew it was inevitable, right?

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

After reading several hours ago of the Princess pause here on CC (see how I'm joining in here?) we have now just received emails from Princess advising of cancellation of our Feb/March '21 cruise on the Sapphire Princess.  First thought ... what took 'em so long to cancel.  We all knew it was inevitable, right?

Would be nice if the cruise lines advised their customers before or at the same time they put out media releases, rather than contacting their customers after the media releases.

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Would be nice if the cruise lines advised their customers before or at the same time they put out media releases, rather than contacting their customers after the media releases.

I think they try to give the TAs a heads up first. Also sometimes emails can be a bit slow to get through for some odd reason.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess website is only showing cruises from October 2021 onwards now.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that we will be able to resume cruising then but who knows what will happen.

That is what we are doing fingers crossed....  used our FCD & bonus stuff    booked for Nov 2021

But anything could happen by then...... Don

Also on a side note the helicopter tour company in Tauranga we use dec last year... is closing it doors...... sad..... and also we have lost our TA as well

Edited by getting older slowly

14 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

That is what we are doing fingers crossed....  used our FCD & bonus stuff    booked for Nov 2021

But anything could happen by then...... Don

Also on a side note the helicopter tour company in Tauranga we use dec last year... is closing it doors...... sad..... and also we have lost our TA as well

If this pandemic goes through to 2022 there will be many other TA's and Tour Operators go bust. Heartbreaking, my family has been hit real hard as they are in the industry. Had to put off 80 employees world wide and the two company hotels in Lima and Cusco, Peru are empty.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

If this pandemic goes through to 2022 there will be many other TA's and Tour Operators go bust. Heartbreaking, my family has been hit real hard as they are in the industry. Had to put off 80 employees world wide and the two company hotels in Lima and Cusco, Peru are empty.

Close friend of mine was due to go to Macchu Pinchu earlier this year to celebrate a significant birthday. Due to covid,  they ended up  celebrating in the hunter valley instead.  They have decided that Peru is completely off the agenda and  are waiting for their $50k to be refunded from their TA.

7 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Close friend of mine was due to go to Macchu Pinchu earlier this year to celebrate a significant birthday. Due to covid,  they ended up  celebrating in the hunter valley instead.  They have decided that Peru is completely off the agenda and  are waiting for their $50k to be refunded from their TA.

Peru is still closed anyway. We did Macchu Picchu in 2002, when we went over to Lima for my son's wedding. Altitude sickness got us, but we did it all. Tell your friend to persevere, it is worth doing.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Must be difficult to put off so many staff worldwide.  An Australian travel business collected $25,000 from their customers to pay to their overseas guides, who now have no work.  

All tourism businesses, which involved overseas travel, have been hit really hard.  Queensland businesses which relied on overseas tourists have been hit hard, but many local businesses are doing good business.  When our local cafe was limited to take away, we bought Vietnamese takeaway every weekend to support them.  It is good to see all local cafes now with sit down customers.  We even have a new cafe, which started off selling coffee and cake for $6, which is doing well.  I've been supporting them also.  Usually I just buy a coffee, but who can resist cake?

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Wow! And people complain at how slow the cruise companies have been in refunding money. I feel for your friends waiting on $50,000.

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Wow! And people complain at how slow the cruise companies have been in refunding money. I feel for your friends waiting on $50,000.

They have only just decided to pursue the refund.  I am hoping that since they werent in the initial rush that may work in their favour.  Thankfully the TA they dealt with is still employed although working reduced hours and online only.