My wishful thinking with logical reasoning.

Geobugs

MSC is leading the cruise industry with sailings in the Mediterranean since August with tight regulations that work.

The next step for the industry is to slowly ramp up operations again.

Since MSC has been successful with sailings then it should be able to sail in 30 days.

If MSC is allowed just one ship to set sail for its initial start up, then it should sail out of the largest US port, Port of Miami.

If MSC is allowed just one ship to set sail from Port of Miami, then it should be the newest ship, MSC Meraviglia.

Of course, I am booked on a December sailing of the MSC Meraviglia.

You might want to read the CDC's latest announcement about cruises.  They have issued guidelines under which cruise lines can start operations, but those guidelines are complex and will take some time to implement.  The CDC has essentially stuck it to the cruise lines by leaving them to prove they can deal with COVID.  The CDC announcement does not give any specific date on when cruising can resume with paying passengers.

Hank

23 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

MSC is leading the cruise industry with sailings in the Mediterranean since August with tight regulations that work.

Since MSC has been successful with sailings then it should be able to sail in 30 days.

If MSC is allowed just one ship to set sail for its initial start up, then it should sail out of the largest US port, Port of Miami.

If MSC is allowed just one ship to set sail from Port of Miami, then it should be the newest ship, MSC Meraviglia.

Now that CDC has lifted the ban on cruise ships and issued the Conditional Order for all ships, everyone will need to adhere to these new guidelines.    They are a bit different then the European guidelines.    Overall, they are doable just unsure how quick they can process to get a Certificate to sail that each ship must have prior to sailing out of US ports.    

One of the requirements on the list is that cruise lines must coordinate with land medical facilities that will be willing to accept infected passengers should an outbreak occur. I think that this piece of the puzzle will be critical in determining what port of embarkation and what ship(s) will get to sail first. Will the city of Miami be able to accommodate Meraviglia, or will it be Cape Canaveral (Orlando) and the Seaside?

I almost feel like Seaside will be more likely to sail first under these requirements, but who knows .

Another thing for consideration is that, in order to get the clock started to obtain CDC certification, a ship must be in US waters. Look who’s at the Port of Miami this morning:

D1C8DBCA-3384-4068-BAF8-1A8540D8DCA3.jpeg

• Like 2

Good to see.   I suspect that MSC has already invested in the COVID-19 testing equipment for a US sailing, probably at the same time as they did for Europe, so may be in a better position to restart faster.

I doubt any existing bookings will matter - likely MSC will do what they have done in Europe and cancel all existing booking and offer the opportunity to move to the new sailings.  The new itinieries are likely to be different anyway.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tapi said:

One of the requirements on the list is that cruise lines must coordinate with land medical facilities that will be willing to accept infected passengers should an outbreak occur. I think that this piece of the puzzle will be critical in determining what port of embarkation and what ship(s) will get to sail first. Will the city of Miami be able to accommodate Meraviglia, or will it be Cape Canaveral (Orlando) and the Seaside?

I almost feel like Seaside will be more likely to sail first under these requirements, but who knows .

The city of Miami wants the port to re-open.  I think everyone will be cooperative in getting this re-started.  Also, hospital utilization in Florida is way down for Covid, that will help also.

NewHosp1031.png

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Tapi you probably know this already, but the cruise ships have been coming into the Port of Miami for supplies during the entire shutdown. 

Yes. It still makes my heart happy to see that Seaside is there. 😃

• Like 2

Seaside is actually slightly newer than Meraviglia.  Seaside also seems a more logical ship choice due to it's open design with lots of outdoor spaces, Meraviglia is much more closed in and lacking in open spaces.  But in Italy they chose Grandiosa to start so who knows.  I think either port is possible but in the end I think we will see more ships leaving on weekdays to spread out the load on the ports.  I suppose being first to start back might yield benefits such as getting prime port times/days.  There's a chance MSC may have already submitted a Response Plan to the CDC back during the No Sail Order since they already had to develop one with Italy, Malta and Greece.

I don't even know what happened with the November US bookings.  There is no Roll Call activity and a few people said they received cancellation emails back during the brief November cruise cancellation on October 6th to 8th.  I have to assume November from US was fully cancelled but it would be nice if MSC had ever updated their websites back to at least officially cancel these sailings - again.  I wonder if MSC could get a US based ship crewed in time to complete phase one testing in November.  I will be very surprised if MSC tries to make something from the December bookings but perhaps those people will be where the next phase of simulated voyage passengers will be drawn.

MSC only needs to cancel the 7-day sailings for Seaside out Port Canaveral then they will have several 3 and 4-day cruises to do the protocol testing.  

how's that for wishful speculation from someone who has a Dec 6th YC sailing paid for on Seaside. 

😃

My wishful:  Armonia sailing out of Port of Baltimore.

My logical:  A high proportion of Baltimore cruisers drive to the port, which could be a requirement initially.  I trust MSC to do it right; I plan to wait and see if any other cruise line maintains the standards that MSC has shown in the Med.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, Geobugs said:

I think they canceled all US sailing thru 12/31 of this year.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23804-msc-hits-pause-in-the-united-states-through-dec-31.html

Edited by mscdivina2016

According to MSC's website, they have cancelled all sailings through and including December 31, 2020. I am booked on the Seaside for a 4 day to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral in mid March. I am praying that 3 months of sailings is enough to work out the bugs and get a nice routine down so I may enjoy my cruise. We plan on an excursion in Nassau but, I am very curious about Ocean Cay. It is a day and overnight docking and I wonder if we will be allowed to disembark on the island, and what requirements will be needed. A report was put out about being required to have a health visa to enter the Bahamas so, I am just sitting back, watching and praying all goes smooth with MSC.

it's not individual or cruise lines that decide.  THE SCIENTIST'S  predict a very bad winter w covid & since Florida/ MIAMI DADE COUNTIES have had some of the worst outbreaks of covid & continue to ignore generally accepted protocols(masks etc). So passengers can get infected onland & spread it to the ship.

Britain, France & Italy  have just closed down again or tightened requirements.

Why florida has not gotten onboard  is no ones guess $$$$$. 

If anything MSC should come to NEW YORK...we've done very well w restrictions w a much lower civic rate.  But u wont board a shop until the virus is controlled & a vaccine is approved.

MSC is unique,  it is privately owned and can uniquely assess risk of capital.  Their decisions to work with Italian officials and the national, regional and local (and Malta) have been successful to the point that it is Covid 19 safer to be on the MSC Grandiosa than on land.

Their success in Italy was IGNORED in the CDC resumption orders and guidelines which conspicuously referred to the Princess outbreaks in January and February in Asia (while the CDC gave its own dubious advice).  The CDC also has ignored TUI's 40,000 "no Covid 19 cases" and Dream's 25,000 of the same.

MSC is astute in avoiding the USA at this time.  There is no national, regional or local consensus of cooperation for, specifically, the cruise lines.  Such has become a "symbol" of "nonessentialists'" declarations.  A private company, the only one of the top 5 cruise lines, can make these clear, realistic decisions to allocate resources to where one is not currently wanted.  And, it will only get worse as US Senators' have the cruise industry have clearly in their sights via openly available public documents.

So, with the cruise industry under the microscope of biased eyes above, below and all around, why would an Italian owned (not incorporated) family cruise line put itself at the top of the list to be taken down by such eyes?

• Like 1

Indeed: If MSC is given permission to reopen in the US, it will be with the Armonia. But that day seems far away from that now, at very least till the travel bans between the US and the EU ends up.

The Seaside will remain there just because perhaps they have no place to put her here for the times being.