CDC only allowing 7 day cruises till Nov 2021

Jadn13

1 hour ago, docruth said:

Weather has finally begun to break into fall. Yay! 70’s for this week, and maybe some nighttime lows down into the 60’s. Welcome relief from the heat. I was actually out the last two nights checking the ‘blue moon’, and stargazing, as it’s been so beautifully clear,. Mars is still putting on a nice show with its close approach to earth.

If you check the state Covid site, you’ll see the positivity rates for Lee & Collier have gone up slightly, but no big deal since the populations there are so small that it’s really not a lot of cases. Each county here has slightly different regulations about mask wearing, social distancing, and quarantine for incoming visitors. The myflorida.gov official state website should point you to the right county site to check the latest for your destination. Discretion is the better part of valor. If you stay safe, follow the rules, and pick your venues for recreation carefully, I have no doubt you’ll have a good time here enjoying your respite from the cold up north.

Depending on your timing it might be worth watching nhc.noaa.gov. TS Eta is out there now, who knows what’s next, we’ve had plenty of action in the basin this year. Hurricane season may end this month, but we’ve had plenty of storms all the way into January the last couple of years.

Glad you’ll be able to come down and enjoy our warm climate. Businesses here will certainly welcome you with open arms. Gosh, they certainly need the customers.. Have a safe trip!

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

Thanks for the welcome mat.  Yes, the FL State COVID site is quite informative.  However, not worried about any restrictions for us.  We will certainly make contributions to the local economy!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, senior lady said:

any person that returns to Canada by air, sea, or car must quarantine for 14 days

Not so. I work with a nurse that travels back and forth US to BC. She said she is considered "essential" and therefore does NOT have to and does NOT quarantine. And she is not the only one. There are quite a few nurses traveling back and forth on a weekly basis that are not quarantining.

Edited by indygirl99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, indygirl99 said:

Not so. I work with a nurse that travels back and forth US to BC. She said she is considered "essential" and therefore does NOT have to and does NOT quarantine. And she is not the only one. There are quite a few nurses traveling back and forth on a weekly basis that are not quarantining.

Yes, totally true.  There are exemptions, including truck drivers transporting goods back and forth across the border.  For us regular folks, the quarantine applies. 

But hope on the horizon as Alberta is a test ground for a new protocol.  Have a "quick" test at port of entry and a follow-up 6/7 days later.  If first negative you are not locked down per se and if second also negative, quarantine is avoided.  I am hoping that arrives to Ontario by February, but not counting chickens for it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, indygirl99 said:

I forgot to mention essential workers are exempt.  I was refering more to travelers.

7 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

It’s another reason why I’m not booking a cruise. 7 day cruises are just to shot for me. 
Tony

Hi, T.  You can always go B2B.  Doesn't seem to be specifically verboten.  And while your NFL season may be shot, these cruises are short.  😉 .  Hope things get better as I don't like the Bills.  Go Steelers!!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 10:37 AM, Steelers36 said:

That was my guess, based on your earlier post wording.  And I agree about FL's website.  We used it last spring before heading home and I have looked in on it from time to time since.  We are headed for SW FL after Christmas.  Unfortunately, we have to ship our SUV down and follow it by air, but we will have our own vehicle and can drive home later on.  Lee and Collier are not too bad and we can live safe there as at home.  Plus there is golfing and such for outdoor activities.  I think a lot of people are going to stay home and hunker down in the north, but we are going to go and escape the cold for a time.

Maybe you and others can give me some input to help me make a decision about snow birding this Winter.  If you plan to take the vaccine when it is out, what would your plan be?  I am concerned that the individual states might only vaccinate residents of that state especially if the vaccines are rationed by state according to the year round population numbers.  If that's the case, I would probably wait here in New York until I get the vaccine even if it's two doses a month apart.  I don't think I want to spend the Winter in Florida without the vaccine any more than I want to get on a cruise ship without the vaccine.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe you and others can give me some input to help me make a decision about snow birding this Winter.  If you plan to take the vaccine when it is out, what would your plan be?  I am concerned that the individual states might only vaccinate residents of that state especially if the vaccines are rationed by state according to the year round population numbers.  If that's the case, I would probably wait here in New York until I get the vaccine even if it's two doses a month apart.  I don't think I want to spend the Winter in Florida without the vaccine any more than I want to get on a cruise ship without the vaccine.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

We are seniors by age, so I am thinking we will be part of the second wave of vaccinations.  I plan to read about what is approved, try to get a handle on efficacy and risks.  We will do it if it offers more freedom of movement and travel, but if it is no more effective than the typical flu vaccine, I will wonder why bother.  Hoping for the best outcomes and wishing all the pharma companies the best. 

Not at all expecting to be vaccinated before going to FL and probably still won't be ready for us when we return home. 

Edited by Steelers36

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Just my thoughts from what I am hearing "behind the scenes". I work as a nurse but don't think what I am hearing is the absolute truth so take that into account.

If you normally get a flu shot and you take reasonable precautions (masks when out in public, social distance yadda yadda yadda) and you don't have major health conditions you may be okay going to Florida before the vaccine is out. If I remember correctly you are not going to a huge metro area, (more rural?) plan on being outside for golf and sunshine.  Stay off the beach during spring break and you are probably ok. grin.

My feeling (take that for what you want) is that the vaccine will  not be available for non high risk seniors until late springish.  If getting the vaccine is a hard stop before going to Florida for the winter you may be spending the winter in New York this year. I would think your risk would be the same in closed in, snowy winter in New York as it would be in "You can't tell me what to do  Florida" with the exception that in Florida you would have more chance to be outside and play golf and get some sunshine.

I also think if you are in Florida when the vaccine is available to non high risk seniors that you will not have a problem getting it.

It has been a crappy year. Go winter in Florida, play golf and make the new year a great one. Just my thoughts.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hi, T.  You can always go B2B.  Doesn't seem to be specifically verboten.  And while your NFL season may be shot, these cruises are short.  😉 .  Hope things get better as I don't like the Bills.  Go Steelers!!

Yes, to us as well, 7 days is too short seeing that with the expected delays regarding boarding regarding testing and staggered embarkation so it's more like 6 1/2 days. 

I too don't get the impression that B2B bookings are not allowed.  We have a 14 day voyage early January and we are expecting the Princess might just cancel the 14 day and rebook us into a B2B.  It makes a lot of sense to keep healthy people on board and minimize the turnover.  We'll know something, hopefully, before our final payment date of November 11.  At this stage I'm certain that Princess has had multiple scenarios in their "CDC Decision Playbook", it's now what makes sense logistically and financially to all parties.

Finally, we are not all that convinced that Princess will be good to go in early January with the mock voyages and getting "healthy" crew assembled and ready to sail.  We are hopeful and will remain confident we can start packing after Christmas.  

Our 14 day cruise booked for January 24 out of Galveston will more than likely be cancelled. That will be the third time we have been cancelled. We ( us and our travel couple) have decided, if January cruise is cancelled we will opt for a 100% refund and wait awhile to rebook, no matter what kind of OBC they offer (short of a free cruise.)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, nocl said:

One thing nice about Canada, once they set rules, they back them up with substantial fines.  In the US a rule might be set, but no fines, so no worry over violating.

It depends on the State. NY has been fining violators holding large gatherings and a friend who lives in Florida was fined $2000 because she returned to Florida before the 2 week quarantine period in NY. They track you through EZ pass and you are registered through the airlines. The week she was here they called everyday to check if she was at the residents that she listed for her stay.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, pcur said:

That's a year away, and the CDC has modified it's restrictions multiple times regarding cruising in the last 6 months.  I expect if the cruises 7 days and under, plus a vaccine, plus proper health protocols on board ships work out well, then the CDC will change this restriction before 11/2021. 

If not, then I would guess the cruises over 7 days will have their itineraries modified.  Too soon to really be firm about this.

We're planning a TA cruise....20 days in all. How on earth will they modify the itinerary for something like that?  I would think it would most likely be cancelled?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, Iamcruzin said:

It depends on the State. NY has been fining violators holding large gatherings and a friend who lives in Florida was fined $2000 because she returned to Florida before the 2 week quarantine period in NY. They track you through EZ pass and you are registered through the airlines. The week she was here they called everyday to check if she was at the residents that she listed for her stay.

How long ago was that? Because I had a friend go and visit NY and she asked the airline about registering with them and they told her they didn't do that and they didn't care.

25 minutes ago, Potstech said:

That is truly the NEW normal

Agree with this 100%. We comment at times when at cafes and restaurants with all the cleaning and contact tracing data being collected that this is the new normal. I really don’t mind if it keeps us as safe as possible. Overall doing quite well in Australia as a whole!!! 

9 hours ago, suzyed said:

How long ago was that? Because I had a friend go and visit NY and she asked the airline about registering with them and they told her they didn't do that and they didn't care.

The fine incident was in October.  However my son returned from St Thomas in Aug. He was there just when the Island was added to the NY state quarantine list. They tracked him from the airport and either called or sent a text daily for 2 weeks asking about symptoms.

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

Here is the new plan for those going to New York state:

https://abc7ny.com/governor-cuomo-tri-state-travel-advisory-ny-quarantine-policy-visitor/7515634/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Just a note that the provisions do not apply if simply driving through the State.  Example PA to NY State Thruway to Buffalo and into Ontario. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Here's a heads up. AP and Reuters have declared PA for Biden It's over.

This is about public policy. What's unknown is how Team Blue will interact with he CDC and FDA in January. Will they ask for the cruise guidelines to be modified. What about treatments and vaccines. Stay tuned.

i assume if the virus looks like continuing, which it does,  they will adjust the guidelines in accordance with that as they seem to be taking this virus seriously. Better to be safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm hoping that Team Blue will recruit the smart people. Like Scott Gottlieb...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Gottlieb#FDA_commissioner_(2017%E2%80%932019)

Smart people with a track record of leadership and achievement. Perhaps, they can come up with coherent effective plans. That would give cruisers (like us) a reliable timeline.

In my comment I was trying to post without being political, especially as it isn’t my own country we are talking about. I expect everyone on here knows what the rest of the world are thinking anyway.