100 Shares of Carnival Stock Perk

LCTXcruiser

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'd rather take the loss before year end as I have a big gain to offset. 

Mostly some tiny little mask maker traders got a hold of, and I had to sell when it stopped or never see those prices again. Was just traders drove up the price. A lottery ticket. So I have a big gain to offset loss., 

But I'll wait and see where ccl is end of the year. I was just hearing a blogger say ccl sold some unsecured bonds to raise cash at a pretty high interest rate 8 to 12 %. Its just picking the best sell pt. I'd rather be out long term, no offense but will be a while to turn a profit imo.

Yup, tax rates could definitely change next year.

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Yup, tax rates could definitely change next year.

The only change to the federal, individual rates next year will be those already baked into the tax laws (e.g., adjustments for inflation).  The one exception is for those folks who have an AGI in excess of $400,000.   But even then tax rate increases for those with incomes in excess of $400k will only occur if Georgia goes blue on January 5, and even then those increases might not happen.

23 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

The only change to the federal, individual rates next year will be those already baked into the tax laws (e.g., adjustments for inflation).  The one exception is for those folks who have an AGI in excess of $400,000.   But even then tax rate increases for those with incomes in excess of $400k will only occur if Georgia goes blue on January 5, and even then those increases might not happen.

There are changes that maybe he can do by executive order. I know many people with gun magazines that hold more than 10 bullets and they want you to fill out a 13 page application, give your fingerprints, and $200 per magazine, not per gun, per magazine. My bil has 15, at least one cousin owns many more.some consider this their savings account. Idk but he wants to change capital gains tax and inheritance taxes and many other that will hit my family. 

I especially dont want the changes to inheritance taxes as my parents are elderly and at 102 good chance my dad will pass in the next 4 years. He wants to change valuation from current to what was paid and many farmers will lose properties. I'm trying to just let it go as it is what it is. 

Anyone naive enough to think only those who make over 400k will be taxed more isnt listening. 

He wants to double taxes on capital gains, to you guys trading stock, do you all have huge incomes? I dont. If I did I'd always cruise in suites ... wouldnt that be sweet!!

People are doing tax planning this year, taking some profits, doing what they can. I've always been a numbers person. It's how my mind works. Let your money work for you, so you dont have to work so hard to make money. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Anyone naive enough to think only those who make over 400k will be taxed more isnt listening. 

Sorry, I am listening to the guy who will be in charge.  For example, it is clear that the only increases in cap gains taxes that our next Prez is proposing are on those whose AGIs are a million dollars (plus) a year. 

Not sure why the size of a magazine came up in a discussion of taxes.  But, as a retired Army officer, I can tell you that the reason one might really need a magazine that exceeds 10 rounds is, well, to kill a lot of people.   That is a "good" reason, perhaps, in places like Iraq and Afghanistan  . . . . but not here in the USA.   But now of course we have gotten political, so I am finished.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

There are changes that maybe he can do by executive order. I know many people with gun magazines that hold more than 10 bullets and they want you to fill out a 13 page application, give your fingerprints, and $200 per magazine, not per gun, per magazine. My bil has 15, at least one cousin owns many more.some consider this their savings account. Idk but he wants to change capital gains tax and inheritance taxes and many other that will hit my family. 

I especially dont want the changes to inheritance taxes as my parents are elderly and at 102 good chance my dad will pass in the next 4 years. He wants to change valuation from current to what was paid and many farmers will lose properties. I'm trying to just let it go as it is what it is. 

He wants to double taxes on capital gains, to you guys trading stock, do you all have huge incomes? I dont. If I did I'd always cruise in suites ... wouldnt that be sweet!!

People are doing tax planning this year, taking some profits, doing what they can. I've always been a numbers person. It's how my mind works. Let your money work for you, so you dont have to work so hard to make money. 

Good point, there are many potential tax changes next year.  Most of this will depend on what happens with the 2 US Senate runoff campaigns in Georgia.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Yes, what a difference a couple of Senators could make !

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:49 PM, firefly333 said:

I was just hearing a blogger say ccl sold some unsecured bonds to raise cash at a pretty high interest rate 8 to 12 %.

I would invite your attention that Carnival placed $ 1,450 million of 7.625% Senior 5 year notes and an additional € 500 million at similar terms. About the same many people pay to buy a new car. Carnival has a better than even chance of surviving but the stock price may not recover to previous levels due to dilution, however, management confidence makes me believe that the new builds will increase capacity and boost the share price to greater highs. The dividend will also be restored, but I believe they will look hard at the shareowners benefit for a couple of years. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:55 PM, Moviela said:

I would invite your attention that Carnival placed $ 1,450 million of 7.625% Senior 5 year notes and an additional € 500 million at similar terms. About the same many people pay to buy a new car. Carnival has a better than even chance of surviving but the stock price may not recover to previous levels due to dilution, however, management confidence makes me believe that the new builds will increase capacity and boost the share price to greater highs. The dividend will also be restored, but I believe they will look hard at the shareowners benefit for a couple of years. 

Good point, it will take some time for CCL to recover, but it does appear that confidence is growing 🙂

I got out of ccl stock at open this morning. Analysts have a 1 year target of $17. 

Took a $65k loss ouch ... but I'll sleep better at night. As day after day goes by without news of mock cruises, inspections, filings, it was becoming more and more of a worry how many years to return to profitability. Carnival bites me again lol. I know it's my fault, for buying before princess and hal had all that stuff hit them, and gains to subtract this loss from which will help ease the loss some. 

Wanted out before year end for tax purposes, and before earnings on dec 18 when I expect to hear about daily and monthly burn rate.

Of course I kept 100 shares, one day it will be back to profitability but not soon imo. Think of all those 600 obc's to be paid out over the next year or so. 

I'll sleep better, though it really hurts to take a loss. Hard to push the button, but I think at this price it's about full valued. Good luck traders. I cant even trade it for 30 days, have to trade something else lol. 

I could be wrong but I watched it trade friday and felt like a lot were selling short..tbh I would have been.

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I got out of ccl stock at open this morning. Analysts have a 1 year target of $17. 

Took a $65k loss ouch ... but I'll sleep better at night. As day after day goes by without news of mock cruises, inspections, filings, it was becoming more and more of a worry how many years to return to profitability. Carnival bites me again lol. I know it's my fault, for buying before princess and hal had all that stuff hit them, and gains to subtract this loss from which will help ease the loss some. 

Wanted out before year end for tax purposes, and before earnings on dec 18 when I expect to hear about daily and monthly burn rate.

Of course I kept 100 shares, one day it will be back to profitability but not soon imo. Think of all those 600 obc's to be paid out over the next year or so. 

I'll sleep better, though it really hurts to take a loss. Hard to push the button, but I think at this price it's about full valued. Good luck traders. I cant even trade it for 30 days, have to trade something else lol. 

I could be wrong but I watched it trade friday and felt like a lot were selling short..tbh I would have been.

I don't blame you for getting out when you can, but don't you think that once they announce the approval of the vaccines this Thursday or possibly next Thursday, that stock will peak? Every time we have received vaccine news, the travel stocks have gone up.

9 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't blame you for getting out when you can, but don't you think that once they announce the approval of the vaccines this Thursday or possibly next Thursday, that stock will peak? Every time we have received vaccine news, the travel stocks have gone up.

Maybe, ccl was holding pretty strong today.

It was affecting my sleep. I think it's near the top of the range...I know chart is bullish. I also wanted to be out before the 18th when ccl has earnings, and it was getting close to that date. For tax purposes, I needed to sell before year end.

There is always another time. I watched dow futures trading during the night and pre open trading and put in sell at 22.38. Could be I missed the short term top. Waiting to see futures tonight, if market opens down, ccl might not continue to hold 23.00. 

While vaccine news is great, we know this next batch, though it could pick up the market tomorrow.

I can buy some back in 30 days if the price drops, I'm not the perfect trader but last friday had the feeling time to sell, fridays good days as traders buy and sell by close. For sure I'll keep following it. Yes I know charts say it goes higher, but like I said earnings coming up making me nervous.

What the cruiselines really need is hard core positive news. We will start one mock cruise feb 1st, whatever, something firm and positive, not just how much more stock was sold, what is burn rate. 

Analysts say 1 year target is $17, lots to make me sell, only bullish was chart.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Just over the wire, we passed on buying more doses earlier this year and pfeizer might not be able to provide more until next June. ... because of commitments to other countries. I have wondered why we are getting 40m and uk is also getting 40m... so much for good vaccine news. ..june!

We turned down buying more advance doses. Not the vaccine news I wanted to hear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just over the wire, we passed on buying more doses earlier this year and pfeizer might not be able to provide more until next June. ... because of commitments to other countries. I have wondered why we are getting 40m and uk is also getting 40m... so much for good vaccine news. ..june!

We turned down buying more advance doses. Not the vaccine news I wanted to hear.

I have learned that when it comes to stocks, they will jump up at the word of good news even if the good news doesn't last.  Once they make an announcement in the US about emergency approval, I feel like it will cause these travel stocks to jump up for at least a day or two.

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You kept 100 shares? What about the drink package?

1 minute ago, cruizergal70 said:

You kept 100 shares? What about the drink package?

I never booked it, still have my one booking next sept, with hotel and parking booked. But yes I'll always have at least 100 shares of both ccl and rcl. ..or more. Never 0. 

I bought 100 shares of CCL and RCL, and some shares of Moderna back in March. I’m happy with that. I already have a nice portfolio, that keeps me comfortable and allowed me to retire at 59. I quit watching the news years ago. Doom and gloom. Don’t need that in my life. I have enough hobbies to keep me busy, and the only thing that wakes me up at night is my 80 lb. foster pitbull, who needs to be up right up against me. We all have to do whatever makes us happy. My martini glass will always be half full. Cheers 🍸

• Like 4

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I never booked it, still have my one booking next sept, with hotel and parking booked. But yes I'll always have at least 100 shares of both ccl and rcl. ..or more. Never 0. 

But, but you've said you'll never sail with Carnival again. So the OBC perk shouldn't matter. 

12 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I bought 100 shares of CCL and RCL, and some shares of Moderna back in March. I’m happy with that. I already have a nice portfolio, that keeps me comfortable and allowed me to retire at 59. I quit watching the news years ago. Doom and gloom. Don’t need that in my life. I have enough hobbies to keep me busy, and the only thing that wakes me up at night is my 80 lb. foster pitbull, who needs to be up right up against me. We all have to do whatever makes us happy. My martini glass will always be half full. Cheers 🍸

I've pretty much never had a regular job. Bought my first house about age 23 and sold it, discovered flipping and stock trading before it was a thing. By the time I was late 30s my mom quit asking me when i was going to get a real job.

I've been interested in stocks and bought 1 share of my first stock in 8th grade. And I freely admit to being a news junkie. As we have fewer tv news channels on cruises tbh I feel cut off. I like to know what's going on in the world. Glad internet is accessible once in a while on my cruises. ..but at least I've stopped trading, just buy and hold except once in a while, 3 sells this year, ccl was the 3rd.,sometimes it's just the right thing for me. ..but no way I'm not watching. I love the stock market. It pays for me to cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

But, but you've said you'll never sail with Carnival again. So the OBC perk shouldn't matter. 

I'll always have some, it's good on HAL, Princess.

And I said for right now I'm boycotting. Never is a long time. I see you want to make a deal of a few shares I didnt sell. Actually I'm in and out, I had a mere 700 of rcl and thought it was dead, and kept 200 I think, rarely have exactly 100 tbh. Seed money. And I might buy some back at some pt. Depends on if I think I can make money on it, or it pays a dividend. Cash laying around doesnt pay the bills. 

But yes I have at least 100 ... or more of both rcl and ccl. And yes, I'll still enjoy my guys burgers on vista that's booked non refundable. No sense not enjoying it. I enjoy every cruise I take. 

Good sailings to you too. 

14 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Sounds like a good philosophy of life👍 

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I have two future cruise reservations.  Warp Speed is looking good 👍 

1 minute ago, travelhound said:

I have two future cruise reservations.  Warp Speed is looking good 👍 

I have 9, but next one is looking dimmer. Just read there was a positive test on quantum out of Singapore and its turned to come back in. Cdc wouldnt like that. I hope it doesnt slow things down. I also listened to christine Duffy about the slow roll out   without even so much as a month to do first mock cruises or inspections. 

Warp speed looks good, but I'm getting depressed especially regarding carnivals slow roll out. 

I'm booked april 25th. Still crossing fingers it will go. Good chance I can get vaccinated by then, better chance of being vaccinated than cruising if I were a betting man. 

Rcl just extended their double loyalty points thru march 31, 2022, 3 more months, making me guess march will be cancelled.  

Every cruise with a positive case will make the news imo and slow down the roll out. 

Ccl chart now bearish, in a holding pattern until earnings call. Forward guidance can make or break stock price, and judging by the mumble jumble of christine to the crew, that wouldnt cut it. Earnings call they want to know future earnings, when will they sail. If they say well we slowed it down because of covid, that wouldnt be good. Its rarely about if they hit their numbers of minus $10.40 a share or whatever, it's the comments on forward guidance.  

We will see if I'm wrong about not holding thru earnings. I hope for carnivals sake I'm wrong.