100 Shares of Carnival Stock Perk

LCTXcruiser

On 11/2/2020 at 4:36 AM, Calnev1 said:

Tax loss harvesting.   Can't do it in retirement accounts, which is currently where I hold my CCL.  But you can day trade with abandon in retirement accounts (. . . . don't tell my wife).  😎

Keep in mind almost all trading platforms are trade-fee free now 🙂

On 11/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, OC SeaPA said:

As a CPA- here is some free tax advice I give my clients (and I use in this crazy Market).  If you sell at a loss, then wait 30 days (wash sale regulation) you can rebuy the stock, have a lower basis, but take the "loss" off your taxes (fully deduct against capital gains, $3000 loss max applied to other income).  Your risk is that in the 30 days you wait it could come back to your original cost, or go higher....

sage advice that only 5% of the US population probably knows about...

On 11/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, OC SeaPA said:

As a CPA- here is some free tax advice I give my clients (and I use in this crazy Market).  If you sell at a loss, then wait 30 days (wash sale regulation) you can rebuy the stock, have a lower basis, but take the "loss" off your taxes (fully deduct against capital gains, $3000 loss max applied to other income).  Your risk is that in the 30 days you wait it could come back to your original cost, or go higher....

How many years can I sit on the loss before I can no longer use it for my taxes. reason. I do not need to use it this year.

6 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

How many years can I sit on the loss before I can no longer use it for my taxes. reason. I do not need to use it this year.

I believe you can carry forward your tax loss indefinitely until such time as you can use it.   SeaPA will know for sure.

25 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Keep in mind almost all trading platforms are trade-fee free now 🙂

Yeah . . . but you can't tax loss harvest in a retirement account.   

Also, with regard to day trading in a taxable account, it seems like it would be a hassle just to report multiple trades on your tax return . . . and you of course don't have to report any trades done in a tax-free/tax-deferred retirement account.  Again, though, if asked by my wife about day trading, I will deny it vociferously.  😊

Edited by Calnev1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

It is not your choice.  The loss will first be applied towards capital gains, then $3000 against other income.  Anything else will be carried over until used up (or the law changes!). 

John, you did great at $10.67 per share.  That may be a 52 week low. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OC SeaPA said:

It is not your choice.  The loss will first be applied towards capital gains, then $3000 against other income.  Anything else will be carried over until used up (or the law changes!). 

Why is it not my choice? I do not owe any income tax. If and when I have enough income so i am required to pay income tax. That is when I will use the loss. Makes sense to me.

2 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

The 52 week low was 8.49, but I'm still happy with 10.67.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:46 PM, Purvis1231 said:

At this point it is every cruise. Right now if you have a cash it might be a good investment. If bought many years ago at $30.00 per share so I have lost money. 

I have roughly lost 67% in value....but I am hanging on and believing things will return.   BTW....if you have $1350 extra cash, today would be the best day to invest.    Also, I took funds from a ROTH and transferred it to purchase CCL and didn't touch any cash to do so.  

On 10/31/2020 at 8:06 AM, Calnev1 said:

As for offering the benefit to everyone, not just stockholders, I am not sure what you mean.   There are of course many cruise sales that offer extra OBC, but the shareholder benefit is above and beyond that.  It makes you think you are part of the Carnival family, an benefitting from that.  An illusion, maybe, but I think it works.

He was responding to those that are saying "it costs Carnival NOTHING". His logic, if that were the case, then why not offer it to EVERYONE without qualification. Of course it costs Carnival something. It's plain and simply revenue they wouldn't get on that cruise from that qualifying individual.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 9:18 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Because I don’t think Carnival, or any cruise line, is in position to give away any money right now. When I used this perk multiple times In the past I always used it for gratuities, which cost Carnival $100 for every cruise I took. You multiply this by the large number of people getting this perk and you are looking at a significant amount of money. In the past I would agree with you that $100 was next to nothing for Carnival, but that is not going to be the case for a long time in the future. 

Another marketing device is the spend $500 with your Amex card and get $100 credit. And many of us are finding this on our Amex offers. I'm sure American Express is not just giving away $100 credits, but instead are being reimbursed by Carnival Corporation. Again they do not think of it as money being given away, but as a marketing tool. And I have similar offers (actually more credit for $500) from both NCL and Celebrity, so it seems that the various cruise lines feel that this is a time that every marketing  effort is needed.

There are huge advantages to selling and rebuying.  However, it's not for everybody and takes paying attention to the stocks.  Trading can be very lucrative for people who have the time to spend watching the stocks and looking for the patterns.  But for many people, they like buying their shares and holding.  Nothing is wrong with that at all.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:12 PM, OC SeaPA said:

You probably don't want to sell now, with the Pfizer Vaccine being distributed, the stock will probably continue to appreciate.  It's up 30% today on the announcement of the successful vaccine 🙂

On 11/6/2020 at 9:38 PM, TNcruising02 said:

There are huge advantages to selling and rebuying.  However, it's not for everybody and takes paying attention to the stocks.  Trading can be very lucrative for people who have the time to spend watching the stocks and looking for the patterns.  But for many people, they like buying their shares and holding.  Nothing is wrong with that at all.

I sold and bought....3 times in the past few months (sold this morning).  My total gains plus the $600 OBC just about covers the cost of the upcoming cruise.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, LCTXcruiser said:

Good evening all!

My husband and I were considering buying 100 shares of stock in Carnival because you can get an onboard credit.  Do you all know, is this an ongoing perk (in other words, do you get it every time you cruise with them), or is it a one time perk?  Also are there any restrictions?  For example, if you get a cruise that is discounted or a carnival players cruise offer does it still apply?  Any info would be helpful.  Thank you all so much!  I always know I can depend upon good advice from the cruisers on this site!

OP  --  I hope you bought your Carnival stock last week.     It is about 37% more expensive today.  🙂

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I’m aware, thanks.

LOL....most people aren't aware.

When I was a tax preparer....I had to explain countless times....if your stock was worth $ 5000 at one time...and now it's worth $2000....you do not get to take a loss.  People tend to think "they have the money" based on the current value and if it goes down, then they lost money (even if they still have a gain...just a smaller gain).

On 10/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, LCTXcruiser said:

Good evening all!

My husband and I were considering buying 100 shares of stock in Carnival because you can get an onboard credit.  Do you all know, is this an ongoing perk (in other words, do you get it every time you cruise with them), or is it a one time perk?  Also are there any restrictions?  For example, if you get a cruise that is discounted or a carnival players cruise offer does it still apply?  Any info would be helpful.  Thank you all so much!  I always know I can depend upon good advice from the cruisers on this site!

It has just gone up 39%. If you are going to buy, it was $19.25 today. We bought ours in March for $15. (in Jan it was over $51)  and I understand it went down as low as $7.something.