100 Shares of Carnival Stock Perk

LCTXcruiser

15 hours ago, LCTXcruiser said:

Good evening all!

My husband and I were considering buying 100 shares of stock in Carnival because you can get an onboard credit.  Do you all know, is this an ongoing perk (in other words, do you get it every time you cruise with them), or is it a one time perk?  Also are there any restrictions?  For example, if you get a cruise that is discounted or a carnival players cruise offer does it still apply?  Any info would be helpful.  Thank you all so much!  I always know I can depend upon good advice from the cruisers on this site!

Buy it now before it starts to climb again. We own 1000 shares between me and my wife. I also own Royal stock. A faster larger return for the stock investment. It also gives you the same perks as Carnival. The stock is higher in price. Purchased a short time ago and for me it went up 200% now it is still up for me 100%. Thinking of buying more. Carnival has not moved like Royals. Years ago when the market took that big hit I bought Royal stock. I did super on the return. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

My guess is they keep the shareholder benefit but increase the number of shares needed to get it. 

This has been my thought for several months.  I didn't want to put it out there for fear of putting the idea in their heads!

18 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

All true.   But the loyal customers who come aboard will maybe spend more money than they usually do.   In fact, my wife and I just booked a suite on an Alaska Carnival cruise for next August, and we almost never go higher than a balcony.  Why the suite?   Well, we could use our FCC and our gift cards AND afford to pitch in some extra $$$.

In any event, there are not many good options for the cruise lines going forward.  But if  they fail to keep their loyal customers (. . .  and I would be unhappy if Carnival ditched its shareholder benefit), they will certainly be doomed.

Would it make you unhappy enough to be one of those loyal customers who bails, dooming the company to failure?

20 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Would it make you unhappy enough to be one of those loyal customers who bails, dooming the company to failure?

I doubt that my unilateral action will doom any company to failure!   But I am sure that my wife and I would look at other cruising options more seriously if we did not have the Carnival shareholder benefit.  Particularly for longer cruises, such as Transatlantics.

Actually, since I know Carnival staff read this forum, YES, I will doom you to failure if you cancel the shareholder benefit!  Ha.

Edited by Calnev1

56 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Buy it now before it starts to climb again. We own 1000 shares between me and my wife. I also own Royal stock. A faster larger return for the stock investment. It also gives you the same perks as Carnival. The stock is higher in price. Purchased a short time ago and for me it went up 200% now it is still up for me 100%. Thinking of buying more. Carnival has not moved like Royals. Years ago when the market took that big hit I bought Royal stock. I did super on the return. 

After I bought Carnival in March, I continued to buy more Carnival and then Royal when they dropped.  I bought Royal at $23.81, but only 50 shares.  I had no idea what a money maker that would be or I would have purchased 1,000. Over time, it was easy to see the great opportunities for trading the travel stocks.  Not just cruise, but also airlines.  I bought more Carnival and Royal last week and am already way up.

When I first bought Carnival at $27, that ended up being high because it really dropped.  The key was buying more stock at the lower prices and selling at peaks.  If you buy at say $30, but then buy at $13, you don't need the stock to go over $30 to make your money back.  That has really helped when stocks have dropped after I buy.  I just continued to buy more low and then could sell lower than my original buy and still make money.

Anyway, I think it's a great time to buy Carnival for the benefits.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

The shareowners benefit is a way for management to thank their investors. The hundred bucks per cabin is not hard money, and most passengers spend a lot more aboard. The hundred share minimum is simply a way to keep the riff-raff out of the tent. It is usually voted on once a year by the board of directors in the spring for the following year. The current benefit expires on July 31st, but can be discontinued at any time. The credit is payable in the currency of the ship. 

11 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Well, I bought many years ago at about $32 a share.   And I have definitely NOT lost money, as the shareholder benefit OBC I have collected over the years, plus the dividends the stock used to pay (ha ha), have easily exceeded the cost of the 100 shares.

And if you want to see exactly what the current shareholder benefit is, you can see the official Carnival document right here:  https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f 

Finally, Carnival pays this benefit regardless of any other deals or offers that you may get from Carnival.  For example, even if you have a free cruise from the Player's Club, you can still use this benefit!

Well, I guess when I add up what I have gotten over the years, I am a little ahead of the game.  Thanks for reminding me! 

3 hours ago, Bgcruising said:

I bought another 100 shares and will sell my original 100 when it reaches its original purchase price.

Also, those that have bought and the stock has dropped, you haven't lost anything until you sell. Your investment will go up and down, but there are only two prices that matter. The one you bought at and the one you sell at.

Correct, but the quarterly dividends that used to be paid are lost, at least until they become a profitable venture again. And hopefully, that will occur.

3 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I read back in April that Carnival discontinued the shareholder credit "indefinitely", but I don't recall if it was news or someone's post.

As someone else has already posted, that was the dividend not the shareholder benefit. Posts like yours are how rumors start, though giving you the benefit of the doubt, I do believe you thought you had read that and even said you were not sure it was real news.

6 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

I doubt that my unilateral action will doom any company to failure!   But I am sure that my wife and I would look at other cruising options more seriously if we did not have the Carnival shareholder benefit.  Particularly for longer cruises, such as Transatlantics.

Actually, since I know Carnival staff read this forum, YES, I will doom you to failure if you cancel the shareholder benefit!  Ha.

Interesting that $100 (or $250 for a longer sailing) would be enough motivation for you to walk away (or stay put).

I’m sure the Carnival staff reading the opines of people with the liquidity to hold 100 shares of stock threatening  to take their business elsewhere if the benefit is discontinued have finely tuned reading comprehension skills.

Edited by StolidCruiser

23 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Because I don’t think Carnival, or any cruise line, is in position to give away any money right now. When I used this perk multiple times In the past I always used it for gratuities, which cost Carnival $100 for every cruise I took. You multiply this by the large number of people getting this perk and you are looking at a significant amount of money. In the past I would agree with you that $100 was next to nothing for Carnival, but that is not going to be the case for a long time in the future. 

The cruise we would have had this past summer was on Princess, so the Carnival corporation stockholder benefit applied. And I can say 100% it would not have been used for gratuities since the deal we booked under included prepaid gratuities. In fact very soon after booking the cruise we used the OBC for an excursion.

9 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

2 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

Interesting that $100 (or $250 for a longer sailing) would be enough motivation for you to walk away (or stay put).

I’m sure the Carnival staff reading the opines of people with the liquidity to hold 100 shares of stock threatening  to take their business elsewhere if the benefit is discontinued have finely tuned reading comprehension skills.

It's enough of an incentive to keep my booking preference on Princess.

9 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Don’t make the mistake we did and start booking cruises on other cruise lines. Once you do that, it is really tough to go back to Carnival, unless your major concern is booking the cheapest cruise available. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Don’t make the mistake we did and start booking cruises on other cruise lines. Once you do that, it is really tough to go back to Carnival, unless your major concern is booking the cheapest cruise available. 

Yup, stepped away from Carnival 8 years ago and can say the enjoyment in my cruising experience has increased tremendously.

58 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Listen up Carnival!  Don't tempt me to try other cruise lines!! 😁

8 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Listen up Carnival!  Don't tempt me to try other cruise lines!! 😁

Remember the stockholder's OBC perk is from Carnival Corporation. It is not just for the Carnival cruise line. We have used ours on Princess and Holland America as well as Carnival.

• Like 1

We cruise Carnival every so often. We use it as a fill in because of the low cost. it is NOT our favorite cruise line. However, maybe the Mardi Gras will change our thinking. It is NOT an inexpensive cruise on it. At time yo can get a great deal on other cruise lines. The problem with Princess. They do not cruise out of Florida during the summer months. Celebrity is excellent but not a price grabber. Royal has a lot of good deals and better then carnival. One thing Carnival ships do have. The very best steak house on the sea or land.

9 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We cruise Carnival every so often. We use it as a fill in because of the low cost. it is NOT our favorite cruise line. However, maybe the Mardi Gras will change our thinking. It is NOT an inexpensive cruise on it. At time yo can get a great deal on other cruise lines. The problem with Princess. They do not cruise out of Florida during the summer months. Celebrity is excellent but not a price grabber. Royal has a lot of good deals and better then carnival. One thing Carnival ships do have. The very best steak house on the sea or land.

Princess sails from Florida during the summer months on most years now...

On 10/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, Purvis1231 said:

At this point it is every cruise. Right now if you have a cash it might be a good investment. If bought many years ago at $30.00 per share so I have lost money. 

As a CPA- here is some free tax advice I give my clients (and I use in this crazy Market).  If you sell at a loss, then wait 30 days (wash sale regulation) you can rebuy the stock, have a lower basis, but take the "loss" off your taxes (fully deduct against capital gains, $3000 loss max applied to other income).  Your risk is that in the 30 days you wait it could come back to your original cost, or go higher....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OC SeaPA said:

As a CPA- here is some free tax advice I give my clients (and I use in this crazy Market).  If you sell at a loss, then wait 30 days (wash sale regulation) you can rebuy the stock, have a lower basis, but take the "loss" off your taxes (fully deduct against capital gains, $3000 loss max applied to other income).  Your risk is that in the 30 days you wait it could come back to your original cost, or go higher....

@OC SeaPA: username checks out

8 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

Tax loss harvesting.   Can't do it in retirement accounts, which is currently where I hold my CCL.  But you can day trade with abandon in retirement accounts (. . . . don't tell my wife).  😎

11 minutes ago, luv2travel32 said:

Can the 100 shares be owned in a joint account?  If so, would I have to own 200 shares in order to get the shareholder benefit?

Yes, it can be owned in a joint account with 100 shares, but only one OBC perk per cabin.