Might need to cancel cruise due to mandated 14 day quarantine by husband’s work...

mrsfitz23

We are booked to cruise on the new Mardi Gras on February 13th. Final payment is due in two weeks.  My husband just found out that is work is requiring anyone who travels outside of the country to quarantine for 14 days before coming back to work. We are now in a dilemma because we really want to go but he can’t possibly take off two more weeks after the cruise (and he doesn’t want to ask to work from home for two weeks).  At this point, we have two options- cancel the cruise and lose out $500 deposit OR wait and see if our cruise is canceled (we are only the second sailing for Mardi Gras so that likely could be pushed back) and then take the OBC that we will likely get and reschedule. Question- could we call now and change our cruise and not be penalized or would we still lose our deposit? 
thanks! 

Edited by mrsfitz23

I’m not sailing until next June from NYC. I work for state government and my vacation has been approved, but we’ve also just been informed that even prior approvals will need to be reconsidered if they will require quarantine. Due to the imminent nature of my work (front end child protection) there would be a significant impact if I were out of the office for a whole month. Or rather work office- yesterday the order was extended for VT state employees to continue teleworking through to end of March 2021. Right now we are not allowed to leave our small county unless it’s for essential purposes only (I live within walking distance of NH, and 30 minutes from MA and 15 minutes from the next county so this feels very confining). Definitely feel like we’re right back where we started, and while some orders have been lifted- not feeling too optimistic that they are going to get me on that June/July sail (due to the work situation). I do value the approach of isolation. It’s absolutely necessary, I just understand the fatigue. It’s real. I’m dreaming of warm breezes and tropical adventures. I’m glad to know we may have the option to change dates! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrsfitz23 said:

Our cruise is a 7 day. 

Final payment dates have been reduced so your final payment is probably in January. It doesn't change your situation but will give you some more time to see what's going to happen.

Edited by regoodwinjr
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Final payment dates have been reduced so your final payment is probably in January. It doesn't change your situation but will give you some more time to see what's going to happen.

So if we wait and then decide to cancel and book another cruise, do we lose our deposit or do they just put that towards the new cruise? 

Just now, mrsfitz23 said:

So if we wait and then decide to cancel and book another cruise, do we lose our deposit or do they just put that towards the new cruise? 

That's a tough question because there are many factors so best to call Carnival or your travel agent. If you booked a fare that has a nonrefundable deposit then its best to wait to see what Carnival will do. 

4 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

That's a tough question because there are many factors so best to call Carnival or your travel agent. If you booked a fare that has a nonrefundable deposit then its best to wait to see what Carnival will do. 

Hmmm...don’t remember if we had a non-refundable deposit and can’t find it in my emails from booking. We booked one week before all this Covid stuff started. 😢

27 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

And our cruise manager is still saying our final payment is due on November 15th. 

If you were to call and ask very pleasantly if it is possible to move all of that money to a different cruise in the future, at this point they would probably be glad to do it.  Once even limited cruises start up again, that might change, so I would call soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would not do anything until after the election. There is too much uncertainty right now. A different administration might create very different rules and policies about sailings.  If I were going to do anything today I would wait and see. Alternatively I would contact CCL as has been mentioned and let them verify final payment dates and your options.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrsfitz23 said:

We are booked to cruise on the new Mardi Gras on February 13th. Final payment is due in two weeks.  My husband just found out that is work is requiring anyone who travels outside of the country to quarantine for 14 days before coming back to work. We are now in a dilemma because we really want to go but he can’t possibly take off two more weeks after the cruise (and he doesn’t want to ask to work from home for two weeks).  At this point, we have two options- cancel the cruise and lose out $500 deposit OR wait and see if our cruise is canceled (we are only the second sailing for Mardi Gras so that likely could be pushed back) and then take the OBC that we will likely get and reschedule. Question- could we call now and change our cruise and not be penalized or would we still lose our deposit? 
thanks! 

Who is still doing this.  I thought the USA was the hotspot? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

OP says that her husband doesn't want to work from home. Seems like the company is willing to pay him and have him work, he just doesn't want to work from home. In other words he wants his cake and he wants to eat it too!

I’m the OP.
He says that he doesn’t want to be gone from work for a month. 🤷‍♀️ He could ask to see if he could work from home but he says that not going to the office for nearly a month would be asking for a lot and there’s certain things he needs to do.  HR told him to ask his boss about the possibility of working from home but doesn’t look like he is open on that. 😡😢 The rest of the family thinks he should just ask!! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrsfitz23 said:

I’m the OP.
He says that he doesn’t want to be gone from work for a month. 🤷‍♀️ He could ask to see if he could work from home but he says that not going to the office for nearly a month would be asking for a lot and there’s certain things he needs to do.  HR told him to ask his boss about the possibility of working from home but doesn’t look like he is open on that. 😡😢 The rest of the family thinks he should just ask!! 

Why not call carnival and just ask about say moving it to late 2023 while you still can?

I called Carnival yesterday, as we have two cabins booked on the Horizon March 06, 21.  As much as we want to cruise, we just feel that a lot (good and bad) can happen between now and March.  We are booked under Early Saver with a minimal deposit.  I was able to take our booking for one cabin and switch it to different cruise for October 2022, with no penalty or additional payment.  I also have two cabins booked for the Mardi Gras for February 2022.  I asked if I could switch the other booking for March 21,  to one of those bookings and was told no, at this time.  As we get closer and when/if Carnival makes a change to that cruise, then at that time I could apply that FCC and possibly OBC to an already booked cruise. 

My wife and I are booked on Mardi Gras for the February 20 sailing. We are thinking of canceling as well, so she called Carnival a couple weeks ago. She was told we would lose $468 if we cancel, but if we opt to move our money to an existing booked cruise we have (Horizon 2022) or book a new cruise, there is no penalty and we don't lose any money. Our final payment is due December 6, so we are waiting until the last minute to cancel.

It's interesting how requirements differ state to state.  I'm in SC and my employer doesn't require explanation of where I go on vacation and I haven't been required to quarantine when I do go on vacation. My DH  is in the same boat, so to speak🙂.  He has been working from home since March and doesn't see it changing till there is a vaccine.  We have a cruise scheduled for Jan 14, 2021 so we will see how that goes.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

My husband works for military contractor and has to get permission to go anywhere 100 miles from home. A cruise is definitely out and interstate travel is limited to emergencies only. He has to submit an itinerary 30 day in advance with flight plans, areas of travel and people he is traveling with during even during normal times. The XO of the command then approves or denies it. 

Its a pain but we have to do it. My job doesn’t  care what I do as long as I will take an unpaid quarantine when I return. That’s a little tough for me to do so we just haven’t done anything. We were going to wait until after the new year to make a last minute trip if things started to improve but it doesn’t seem that will be the case. 

On 10/31/2020 at 10:00 AM, regoodwinjr said:

They have?  Not that I have seen.  Check-in dates have been delayed to much closer to sail-date, but not final payment, AFAIK.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:42 AM, mrsfitz23 said:

thanks! 

I would call Carnival right now, and move the cruise to a future date you feel will be more likely to not have quarantine requirements or similar COVID-19 related stuff.  So maybe sometime in 2022?

You should be able to move it without losing your deposit (you may need to pay a higher deposit depending on what deposit you paid when originally booking, vs today's deposit amounts).