Does Travel Insurance Cover the CV-19 Pandemic?

I've been searching for an answer to the question of insurance for medical / quarantine / transportation coverage in the event of a CV-19 outbreak onboard, but can't seem to find anything other than most travel insurances state some, or all, of CV-19 related costs are not covered. 

From the Royal Promise for the Singapore sailings starting in December:  

"Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19-related costs up to $25,000 SGD ($20,000 USD) per person in your travel party, for onboard medical costs, cost of any required quarantine, and travel home."

This states onboard medical costs -- what if you have to go to a hospital onshore, or quarantine at a local facility?  Who would cover the costs, the consumer or RCI?  If there is no travel insurance available would $20,000 be sufficient to cover the costs of onboard medical, onboard quarantine and travel back home?  That's if there's even a "Royal Promise" when cruises restart in the US and, if offered, would be the same amount. 

Maybe it's too early to be thinking about this but I've never taken a cruise without some sort of travel insurance -- luckily I've never had to use it.  I would hate to be stuck on an island with no  additional travel insurance.  I guess one would also have to check with their own health insurance as well to see what would be covered while traveling.  

Hopefully, a vaccine will make all of this a moot point. 

• Thanks 1

Not too early to be planning ahead, but policies may be changing in the future.  There are already a host of exclusions in the travel insurance policies already.

For those with Medicare coverage, be aware that Medicare does not provide any coverage outside the US, one reason we declined Medicare and kept our BCBS coverage in effect.  It provides medical care insurance worldwide and I always pack their info brochure in case.

It's good to research and put the pencil to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

Not too early to be planning ahead, but policies may be changing in the future.  There are already a host of exclusions in the travel insurance policies already.

For those with Medicare coverage, be aware that Medicare does not provide any coverage outside the US, one reason we declined Medicare and kept our BCBS coverage in effect.  It provides medical care insurance worldwide and I always pack their info brochure in case.

Thank you -- that's good to know.  Travel insurance is more important now than ever.  It's always good to explore all options,  now and in the future, even though it will remain in flux until cruising resumes. 

34 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

For those with Medicare coverage, be aware that Medicare does not provide any coverage outside the US, one reason we declined Medicare and kept our BCBS coverage in effect. 

Mine Does:

Medicare WW.JPG

Traditional Medicare does not cover for care outside the United States, it Territories or Commonwealths except in some very unique situations.  Medicare Beneficiaries that choose a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) may have coverage for care outside the United States, depending on their plan.  Before a beneficiary leaves "Traditional Medicare (Parts A & B) they should do their due diligence.  Additionally, the $ 25,000 limit exposes the insured to significant exposure.  Additionally it should be noted above that emergency transportation is not covered.  

50 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Just be aware that most domestic US policies will REIMBURSE you for medical expenses outside the us as they are not accepted in other countries.

On my last cruise in February, I caught the flu onboard. I have traditional Medicare and a co insurance plan.  I also took out the travel insurance that they offer.  

Traditional Medicare did not cover and the travel insurance did not cover until I filed with my co insurance plan.  Which they approved the amount charged that RC charged, but went towards my deductible.  I had to send EOB from Co insurance and send to the travel insurance and they paid.  It was a lot of filing but did finally pay.

25 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Read the fine print and find out if it coverages stays during a "Pandemic". Until the Pandemic is declared over travel insurance may become moot.....unless it specifies that is. 

This is not travel insurance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I've been searching for an answer to the question of insurance for medical / quarantine / transportation coverage in the event of a CV-19 outbreak onboard, but can't seem to find anything other than most travel insurances state some, or all, of CV-19 related costs are not covered. 

From the Royal Promise for the Singapore sailings starting in December:  

"Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19-related costs up to $25,000 SGD ($20,000 USD) per person in your travel party, for onboard medical costs, cost of any required quarantine, and travel home."

This states onboard medical costs -- what if you have to go to a hospital onshore, or quarantine at a local facility?  Who would cover the costs, the consumer or RCI?  If there is no travel insurance available would $20,000 be sufficient to cover the costs of onboard medical, onboard quarantine and travel back home?  That's if there's even a "Royal Promise" when cruises restart in the US and, if offered, would be the same amount. 

Maybe it's too early to be thinking about this but I've never taken a cruise without some sort of travel insurance -- luckily I've never had to use it.  I would hate to be stuck on an island with no  additional travel insurance.  I guess one would also have to check with their own health insurance as well to see what would be covered while traveling.  

Hopefully, a vaccine will make all of this a moot point. 

Great information.  Thank you for researching.    Last I checked GeoBlue Voyager travel insurance offers covid coverage.   We had purchased their trekker policy for 2021 but cancelled that many moons ago.

Voyager plan tad bit more since you purchase for individual trips but worth having.

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Great information.  Thank you for researching.    Last I checked GeoBlue Voyager travel insurance offers covid coverage.   We had purchased their trekker policy for 2021 but cancelled that many moons ago.

Voyager plan tad bit more since you purchase for individual trips but worth having.

Thanks for this -- exactly what I was looking for!  It does cover CV-19 for international traveling.  

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 1.28.39 PM.png

50 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Ah, then definitely no coverage for travel during a pandemic. 

What my Medicare Advantage plan covers is not related at all to what a travel insurance policy would or would not cover.

52 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Medicare HMOs are quite different than regular Medicare. Glad you clarified that yours was an HMO.  

True. Technically Medicare Advantage plans are classified as Medicare Part C plans. They add coverage to Parts A&B (Standard Medicare).

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

What my Medicare Advantage plan covers is not related at all to what a travel insurance policy would or would not cover.

I understand that, but seeing as you said your Medicare Advantage Plans provides coverage outside of the US (which is travel) I'm saying you may want to check to ensure that you have coverage during a Pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I understand that, but seeing as you said your Medicare Advantage Plans provides coverage outside of the US (which is travel) I'm saying you may want to check to ensure that you have coverage during a Pandemic. 

That’s why I did a screen grab of the actual policy page. I could link the entire 50+ page plan detail, but I’ve already read it, and know exactly what it covers. YMMV may be different in Canada’s socialized medical insurance scheme.

Edited by orville99

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

That’s by I did a screen grab of the actual policy page. I could link the entire 50+ page plan detail, but I’ve already read it, and know exactly what it covers. YMMV may be different in Canada’s socialized medical insurance scheme.

Oh our healthcare covers pretty much everything at home which is great but covers absolutely nothing for travel outside of Canada. For that we use our employer supplemental insurance or private travel insurance. Pretty easy system actually. Had 2 kids in the last 3 years and all I paid for was parking at the hospital. Sure we pay a tad more in taxes but we don't even notice it and it's nice knowing that every single Canadian is taken care of in the same way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

That’s why I did a screen grab of the actual policy page. I could link the entire 50+ page plan detail, but I’ve already read it, and know exactly what it covers. YMMV may be different in Canada’s socialized medical insurance scheme.

Just so others don't get confused

Your Advantage plan does NOT pay directly to healthcare providers outside of the US. YOU will still have to pay for the service.

Then, when you return home, YOU can file for reimbursement from your Advantage plan provide

10 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Oh our healthcare covers pretty much everything at home which is great but covers absolutely nothing for travel outside of Canada. For that we use our employer supplemental insurance or private travel insurance. Pretty easy system actually. Had 2 kids in the last 3 years and all I paid for was parking at the hospital. Sure we pay a tad more in taxes but we don't even notice it and it's nice knowing that every single Canadian is taken care of in the same way. 

At an average cost of ~$7,000 per person, that’s a tad more than a “tad”

9 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Just so others don't get confused

Your Advantage plan does NOT pay directly to healthcare providers outside of the US. YOU will still have to pay for the service.

Then, when you return home, YOU can file for reimbursement from your Advantage plan provide

True, but then that’s SOP for any out of network costs, regardless of the type of coverage or where the service is delivered. Even conventional travel insurance works like that.