Royal Caribbean May Need Volunteers for Trial Cruises

17 minutes ago, toad455 said:

"Volunteers of the Sea" sounds like a bad experiment. For anyone that joined the group and are hoping to get on one of these trial cruises, what are the guidelines, etc.? Do they list when & where they'll sail?

Here's the link to sign up.  I believe they will just sail from Florida to CocoCay.

https://cruisesimulationform.questionpro.com

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Anton said:

The CDC requirements for volunteers aren’t listed on the sign up page. However, those and whatever requirements the Royal lawyers imposed will be a high bar. 

The CDC requirements reported thus far are:

• Volunteers must be 18 years or older. 
  • Volunteers must have written documentation from a healthcare provider certifying that the volunteer has no pre-existing medical conditions that would place them at high-risk for COVID-19.
  • Test voyages must be conducted on a consensual basis and not in exchange for consideration or future reward.
  • Volunteers must be told they are participating in an unused and unresolved health and safety protocol.

The written documentation from a healthcare provider is, IMHO, going to be the main sticking point. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

12 minutes ago, Icesk8rReedy said:

It was reported on the Today show this morning that the test cruises would not even start until 2021.  Considering there is only 2 1/2 weeks until December, I'm not confident the test cruises will start this year at all.  Feeling pessimistic about April 2021 cruise 😞

Yes and it was also reported by Cruise Industry News that they would start in 2021 as short sailings to CocoCay on Mariner and Navigator.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23817-royal-caribbean-may-need-volunteers-for-trial-cruises.html

• Like 1

Navigator probably out of Miami & Mariner out of Port Canaveral? Crew have been slowly arriving back, so my guess if maybe these sailings start by mid-January. A month of trial cruising then maybe a slow restart by President's weekend?

7 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Navigator probably out of Miami & Mariner out of Port Canaveral? Crew have been slowly arriving back, so my guess if maybe these sailings start by mid-January. A month of trial cruising then maybe a slow restart by President's weekend?

Would that be enough time to obtain the Conditional Sailing Certificate, if all goes well?  

Hate to offer a bit of reality while we are all hoping to return to cruising soon but...

1.  Over 144,000 new cases yesterday in USA

2.  Hospitalizations doubled since September

3.  Highest death toll since May

4.  Global records set daily.

Sadly, we're not going to be cruising until this pandemic is brought under control and our response here has been less than adequate.

I believe we have all agreed all along that cruising will resume.  When that will be and what form that will take has been the subject of much debate on this forum since March.  While one shouldn't view the current situation with Pollyannaish rose-colored glasses, a purely negative view is not a well balanced way of thinking.  Somewhere in the middle is where you'll find me...maybe Point Nemo one day. 🤣

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 11.31.08 AM.png

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

I don't think Presidents weekend will work.  After the test cruises the CDC has 60 days to review the results and issue the permit to begin cruising if I remember right

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The CDC requirements reported thus far are:

• Volunteers must be 18 years or older. 
  • Volunteers must have written documentation from a healthcare provider certifying that the volunteer has no pre-existing medical conditions that would place them at high-risk for COVID-19.
  • Test voyages must be conducted on a consensual basis and not in exchange for consideration or future reward.
  • Volunteers must be told they are participating in an unused and unresolved health and safety protocol.

The written documentation from a healthcare provider is, IMHO, going to be the main sticking point. 

Yes I just signed up. But since the form asks for your C&A number, they will be able to see my age and promptly scratch me off the list!

2 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes I just signed up. But since the form asks for your C&A number, they will be able to see my age and promptly scratch me off the list!

How true.  I didn't think of that when I signed up but now that you mention it, me too, I'm going to be nixed from the list.  😢

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

So I guess they will be starting with the gold folks and working up the list as needed? Too bad for the poor Pinnacles.😇

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

So I guess they will be starting with the gold folks and working up the list as needed? Too bad for the poor Pinnacles.😇

If this is true.  Will they let Golds into the DL to test how the lounge will work without endangering D,  D+ , or Pins?

8 minutes ago, Domino D said:

If this is true.  Will they let Golds into the DL to test how the lounge will work without endangering D,  D+ , or Pins?

LOL The gold human guinea pigs. I'll gladly go down a few pay grades if they give me the Royal Suite #1620 on NOTS.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, puerto penasco lady said:

I signed up, but pretty sure they will not take me because of my age....oh well, it is worth a shot.

If you are 16+ then you should be alright. I never heard of age check among volunteers. In any case I wish luck my friend, stay healthy and be careful. Hope you will be doing a good  job 

It's 18+.

This is just a cattle call now to get the main list. Once they get closer they'll either ask everyone from the list more info - or cull some and then ask them. I'm betting somewhere in there will be "can you sail any time between x - y" to give them flexibility on booking people. 

It's just step one of many on the volunteer side I'm sure. Not sure I wanna go, but kinda wanna add my name to the list just to see. 

8 minutes ago, toad455 said:

A probable free cruise, but likely just 3 or 4 days to CocoCay. I also doubt drinks would be included.

My bet is that everything that's normally included in your fare is free - because they can't charge. Extra cost stuff on board will still be extra cost (maybe discounted). The only other for cost thing that might be free would be excursions because they need to test those.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Gold & below are expendable. Pinnacles are bigger spenders so they must wait.

I would go if I lived closer to the Florida ports. I’m 30 in perfect health and have covid antibodies. I don’t think my company would be pleased and I would have to quarantine away from my husband for 2 weeks but at this point we have been together nonstop since February. We might like the break. 🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, Roger88 said:

If you are 16+ then you should be alright. I never heard of age check among volunteers. In any case I wish luck my friend, stay healthy and be careful. Hope you will be doing a good  job 

The requirements indicated that you need to be 18 or over and have a doctor certification that you have no pre-existing conditions that would make you a Covid-19 risk.  This is not the type of program folks can "sneak by" to get a free cruise.  Also, sadly more people have tested positive on the SeaDream, so there's that.