the Daily for Sunday Nov 8, 2020

richwmn

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Not into bold cooking and definitely prefer regular coffee to Cappuccino.  I guess my favorite of the 3 today is the Tongue Twisters.  Love both the quotes and the meal suggestion sounds nice.  My alternative is Strawberry/Blueberry/Bananna cup with coconut cream, Fillet Mignon, and Diplomat Strawberry Tart as served on the Prinsendam November 8, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes08.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

South Florida and Eta

Patience and healing for the USA

Haven’t heard from Erewhon for 3 days

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Ballot counters

Norseh20's planned family get-together

And a shelter dog coming to the White House

Roy                                

👍Good morning Roy! 
Thanks for the wonderful photo of a great dinner on the Prinsedam! 
You know President Biden has 2 I believe 

German Shepard’s. Champ is the name of his newest member from a shelter and 

Major Biden is their second dog they had.

Thanks for adding them to the list of celebrations.

Denise😊

• Like 5

🌺🌺HAPPY SUNDAY TO ALL!! Our rain is off and on again today!! Stormy white caps and wind! Nothing in comparison to ETA heading to Florida!! 🌺Ann so happy you are far from where it lands thank GOD! 🌺Summer, and 🌺Hflors Stay safe so praying you all will be fine!! Virtual positive thoughts and hugs to all on the path of this storm!

🌺🌺Rich, once again love the maps!! 
Enjoyed the quotes too! Now the meal plan for the day I would want Roy‘s dinner on the Prinesdam 👍

🌺🌺GOOD MORNING TO MY EAST COAST AND MY MIDWEST 👯‍♀️ SISTERS!

Love ❤️ you both always.

Stay safe all, stay positive, be kind!

Denise😊

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

We drove over to a Daytona Beach Shores seaside resort for a Corvair show yesterday. It was already very windy there with LOTS of white-capped surf. Watching the possible paths for Eta - one has it coming fairly close to us in Ocala. Not quite the same as was predicted for Irma, but close.

Stay safe! Right now storm surge is being stressed, but we all know what damage a strong gust can do.

• Like 4

Good morning all! It is a cold, blustery day, perfect for curling up with a hot drink. This makes Cappuccino Day the winner! I do like the quote. Dinner for us will be chicken. Pina Coladas and Pinot Noirs both have a place in my heart.

We were at a cousin’s house for dinner last night. Lower BC announced heavy restrictions for two weeks as of 10 PM that night. You cannot gather at all beyond members of your own household, so the dinner was perfectly timed, and we were home before ‘zero hour’.
For all of you in the storms path, stay safe. @ger_77, that blizzard sounds bad from what I’ve been seeing. Keep warm, and leave the shovelling to others!

• Like 9

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy.  Isn't it the end of hurricane season yet?  What Greek letter comes after eta?

Parts of BC are now under "clampdown" for two weeks - stay home, or else!  Schools will stay open but other activities will close.  The island is not included at the moment, although our numbers are increasing, and I think we will be having to be more careful in the future.  

IMG_2025.jpeg.bfa592c8d5c5d6960715dc00fa7e3a41.jpeg

• Like 11

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy and all who contribute.  Love all the food and drink suggestions.   We are in the middle of a nasty blizzard,  and our COVID numbers have broken the record again.  I wish our province would take measures like BC to keep us safe.  

Congratulations to the US on finally having results!  We all need hope and healing right now.   

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. I am late this morning as I slept in a bit after getting up in the night with a sick dog (he seems fine now but his diet is restricted for a couple of days). Nothing like the sound of an urping dog to get me moving at 2:30 in the morning.

All the diner suggestions looks great. One reason I love to eat on the ships is that I can get some special and sometimes unusual meals without having to eat them for too long afterward. Cooking single and being innovative are often not compatible.  So tonight it is yesterday's left overs with a salad. Not very exciting.

As one who works closely with our local animal shelter, I am thrilled to see rescue dogs headed for the white house.

We are supposed to get snow here tonight. We will see. Last night there was just a dusting. But there is no complaining about the moisture.

Susan

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Mitzi has a bit of a pineapple allergy so I won't be making any Pina Coladas (even though I like them). 

As for cooking something bold, I am going to attempt shrimp on the grill today. I found a recipe for Maui Wowie Shrimp that sounds interesting (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220824/maui-wowie-shrimp/). If I could only find which moving box has the skewers!

As a shared season ticket holder, I should be planning outings here -

image.thumb.png.ea17ca7e2a516c6e0232b3c69606ef47.png

But who knows when the season will actually start? And do I really want to risk crowds anyway?

On the islands - Maui wowie is pot. Interesting meal. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning all!  A bright sunny day here, and very welcome after all the rain (and more rain) this week and next.  

I'm so impressed with the great cooks on this thread!  I admit it, I don't like to cook and other than a few favorite dishes, don't consider myself to be a good cook.  I prefer baking to cooking (pies being my specialty) but even that has curtailed over the years because I'm Diabetic.  Now most of my baking goes to the grandkids. 😉  

Do we have any Massachusetts posters here?  I heard there was a 4.1 earthquake in MA.  I know for West Coast standards that isn't a large one, but I know they're pretty darn rare there.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Do we have any Massachusetts posters here?  I heard there was a 4.1 earthquake in MA.  I know for West Coast standards that isn't a large one, but I know they're pretty darn rare there.  

I’m not from there but I do have a couple of friends there and they did indeed have an earthquake.

• Like 1

Still talking about food!  DD tried a new recipe the other day which was excellent- I’m looking forward to having it again.  The topping reminded me somewhat of the one on the Daily Tomato Pie, with the addition of chopped canned artichokes.  I’m not a great fan of boneless skinless chicken breasts, but this kept them deliciously moist.  It was quite salty, though, I think another time I would look for a low-salt Parmesan .

Artichoke and Chicken Bake

70AB2338-C43C-4151-8DDA-1AD31B846998.thumb.jpeg.fa0cd0dc0e5db7642a8060a35f0e4b78.jpeg

PS. DH says there were earthquakes in AK yesterday, too.

• Like 8

The next Greek letter after Eta is Theta, followed by Iota, Kappa and Lambda.  Just hope they are not needed.  Historically, hurricane season is from June 1 to November 1.  It looks like the hurricanes this year did not check the calendar.

Alex Trebek was a true legend and a gentleman.  He will be missed.  Our SIL was a Jeopardy champion several years ago.  He greatly admires Alex.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Historically, hurricane season is from June 1 to November 1. 

Actually it is considered to be June 1 thru November 30 for the Atlantic. This year we had several named storms before June 1. With the way 2020 is going, we might get some in December as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Actually it is considered to be June 1 thru November 30 for the Atlantic. This year we had several named storms before June 1. With the way 2020 is going, we might get some in December as well.

Thanks for correcting my error.  I think many, many years ago when we lived in Corpus Christi, they considered November 1 as the end of the season.  But then, it could be a senior moment too.  🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't know about regularly dailyites but we have @sail7seas in the Boston area and @RuthC in Rhode Island, both quite close to New Bedford.

Roy

I am very close to New Bedford. I didn't feel the earthquake, but sure did hear it. There was a terrible rumble, and I thought something had gone very wrong with the furnace. 
The chair did not shake, or vibrate, though, as it did when there was an earthquake in West Virginia several years ago---the one that caused extensive damage to the Washington Monument. That time I was on the couch, and felt it move. 
Today's earthquake was felt throughout RI, in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and even into New Hampshire. I don't know if it was felt in any of New York state, or Vermont, but wouldn't be surprised if it was. 
No damage here, and none that I know of, anywhere else. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the reports and photos.

Roy, thank you for your concern,, we have been for a land trip, were in the area of the wine mentioned in todays list.  Rich thanks for including another NZ wine.

Last night broke our journey home, stayed at a quaint Art Deco hotel .

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 2

@summer slope  we discovered the  "Cat Who" books by  Lillian Jackson Braun in the Volendam library a few years ago, after reading one, the librarian kindly let us know when others of her books were returned, really enjoyed readiing them, and looked for them in the ships libraries on each following cruise.

Sometimes would find another title we had not previously read.

Hope you will enjoy the books.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Yodalicious said:

Tonight’s dinner was boneless pork chops with cranberry thyme sauce and a California Chardonnay. 

Why “Hello there!” 
Dinner sounds delicious! The wine sounds perfect! Welcome to posting to the Daily, or has my memory failed me (yet again)?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for the reports and photos.

Roy, thank you for your concern,, we have been for a land trip, were in the area of the wine mentioned in todays list.  Rich thanks for including another NZ wine.

Last night broke our journey home, stayed at a quaint Art Deco hotel .

Stay safe everyone.

Lovely to hear that you have had some fun!

• Like 1