The Daily for Friday Nov 13, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My granddaughter (the one who voted for the first time earlier this month), came down with something Wednesday and everyone thought it was COVID.  She tested negative for the flu so they sent off a test for COVID and it just came back Negative

Very good news indeed 😄 

I know all too well what is like to be on pins and needles when a loved one has been tested and waiting.  So happy to hear good news today 😄 

• Like 3

Good evening everyone!  This is my second try posting. The first time I somehow hit refresh and whoosh it was gone. 😐 I’m on my phone so it’s harder to type than on my iPad. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your prayer list Roy. @Hflors I am sorry to hear about your Covid diagnosis and hope you and your husband have mild symptoms. Praying for both of you. 

@Overhead Fred Do your parents still live in GV?  If so we are somewhat neighbors. 

@cat shepard You will have to tell me how your fish delivery goes.  I’ll have to check them out. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but we are having pizza tonight. I made the dough yesterday and bought some beautiful mushrooms. I’m adding spicy sausage and yum 😋

My SIL got married on a Friday the 13th, June 13, 1975 to be exact. They are still married so it wasn’t an unlucky day for them. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@cat shepard You will have to tell me how your fish delivery goes.  I’ll have to check them out. 

Sharon

My order arrived yesterday.  The container & insulation are 100% recyclable. There were four packs of dry ice. Every item arrived frozen. Even the ice did not appear to have melted at all. 

I thawed my first piece of halibut overnight. I cheated and thawed it in its original packaging, instead of removing it as instructed. It was totally thawed by the time I was ready to cook it.

I simply sautéed it in a bit of evoo and it was delicious. Bindi had some too. She pushed her dish around the floor as she licked every last speck out of her bowl. 

If I had some of my lemon juice thawed, I would have made some lemon butter sauce, but it really was delicious with just a bit of salt & pepper.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sharon

My order arrived yesterday.  The container & insulation are 100% recyclable. There were four packs of dry ice. Every item arrived frozen. Even the ice did not appear to have melted at all. 

I thawed my first piece of halibut overnight. I cheated and thawed it in its original packaging, instead of removing it as instructed. It was totally thawed by the time I was ready to cook it.

I simply sautéed it in a bit of evoo and it was delicious. Bindi had some too. She pushed her dish around the floor as she licked every last speck out of her bowl. 

If I had some of my lemon juice thawed, I would have made some lemon butter sauce, but it really was delicious with just a bit of salt & pepper.

Yum! 😋. Your experience is similar to mine. I was worried about the packaging because the weather has been so hot but it was great, everything solid frozen. So happy to hear your halibut was delicious and Bindi has great taste. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yum! 😋. Your experience is similar to mine. I was worried about the packaging because the weather has been so hot but it was great, everything solid frozen. So happy to hear your halibut was delicious and Bindi has great taste. 

These businesses seem to really know what they are doing.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@Overhead FredI love the china your parents have - Old Country Roses; my favourite aunt also had the same pattern.  When she turned 65, she gave away her daily dishes and began using her good china; she said "Who am I saving this for?  Are we (my uncle and her) not special enough to use it?"  Every day it graced her table until she passed away about 20 years later.  I'd like to do that also, but ours is gold rimmed and would never make it in the microwave!  It does well in the dishwasher, but the mic would be the end of it!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

We still have mom & dad's old country roses but we moved it to our place in Canada. It is a bit amusing since they originally bought it in Peterborough, Ontario! I haven't seen it for about a year now...

Mitzi found a lovely set of Limoge china at our St Paul home at an estate sale that we use for special occasions. I'll post some pictures after Thanksgiving. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@Overhead Fred Do your parents still live in GV?  If so we are somewhat neighbors. 

We moved mom and dad to Minnesota around 2010. They needed more help than we could give from so far away. Both have since passed, but it was good that we were able to take care of them in MN for quite a while. 

I would love to visit the Tucson area again - Desert Museum, Madera Canyon, Sabino Canyon, Tubac, Sonoita, Tumacacori, Amado, Sahuarita, Arivaca, Carmen, Patigonia....

Lots of fond memories!

• Like 4

I try to get on earlier in the day but no luck.  But do enjoy catching up although even late. What a day for Friday the 13th.  The storm last night was loud and long.  But no damage to any windows or roof!  But it looked like it had snowed pine needles.  Spent the day between rain showers cleaning up.  Will still be wet and windy for most of next week but at least for a few hours our yard looked well cared for! My DH loves his blower and so do the neighbors as he just kept on blowing needles and branches all along our road!   
Heard from out daughter in Portland  that the grandson we have had at our home (across the River in Vancouver) all week had a sore throat this morning but no fever.  We came back to the Oregon coast last night and stayed at home today working and will continue staying put for the weekend.  We are needed to help with virtual learning next week.  Our grandson is better this evening and we are fine.  Hopefully only a cold.  Time will tell.  

Oregon is on a 2 week “freeze” starting the 18th and the county our family lives is on a 4 week freeze.  Restaurants and bars take out only, limits to church attendances, no gatherings over 6 people out of own households, plus more.  We will go back  to our home in Vancouver WA until the 24th and then return to the Oregon coast for Thanksgiving .  Our thanksgiving will just be the 2 of us.  We will  cook our turkey with all the trimmings and will even make a pumpkin cheesecake!  I found an easy recipe that will go in my COVID recipe folder I have been keeping since March.  
Really enjoy all the posts.  Prayers of everyone.  Wear those masks....stay well and safe. 

• Like 7

Popping in really late, but it is still the 13th.  Sounds like a lot of you had quite the time with CC.  My thoughts are with those on Roy's care list and sending cheers for those celebrating.  Thanks to all who contribute to making this thread a huge success.  A lots of posts today, glad I finally got here!

• Like 5

I am really late in posting, meant to do so earlier.  @Hflorssorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Please take care and follow all medical instructions.  Wishing you both a very speedy recovery.

Learned something new today.  Had never heard of Indian Pudding--will join others in taking a pass, thank you.

Thanks for all who share on this lovely place.  Thanks for the ones who keep things going.  Prayers for all.

• Like 4

Good evening, I am really late today, but we made it through Friday the 13th unscathed, so far.  Booked a cruise this morning, and bottled wine this afternoon.

@Hflors, so sorry about your diagnosis.  Hope everything goes smoothly and you have a very mild case.

Saturday the 14th, DH is going for a hearing test.  I don’t think he needs hearing aids, I tell him often he just needs listening aids!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Saturday the 14th, DH is going for a hearing test.  I don’t think he needs hearing aids, I tell him often he just needs listening aids!

It’s good he is getting tested. Sensory Neural Hearing Loss (SNHL) is a common occurrence as we mature and comes on slowly. Oftentimes one starts to loose clarity in the higher frequencies (4000, 6000 Hz) which distorts or removes the consonants (S,T, Sh, F, etc.) so one still “hears”, but it sounds like others are mumbling. The person might not even notice as it can happen so slowly, and the brain fills in words. Sometimes they are the wrong words, and you end up having 2 totally separate conversations. (Hint: if a reply seems inappropriate, a word may have been misunderstood and the subject has changed.)

(Taking a moment now to search for a video example from the flintstones and Speech Banana.)

Flintstones video:  

Speech Banana overlays hearing loss patterns and gives an auditory example. 
https://ohns.ucsf.edu/audiology/education/peds

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

@TiogaCruiser, very interesting.  I forwarded it to DH, so he can do a bit of research.

A bit more Audiometry 101:

The Speech Range is 500 to 6000 Hz. SNHL (inner ear pathology) typically affects the higher range (3000 Hz and above). Many consonants are in the higher range, so if that’s where the HL is, the person doesn’t hear them, or they aren’t clear. So a word can easily be mistaken for the wrong one.* Typically the SNHL that we get as we get older is worse the higher the frequency.

The lower range typically carries the vowel sounds. So a person with a loss in the higher range will hear the vowels but not necessarily the consonants, leading to Wilma and Fred’s voices sounding like mumbling as that video progresses.

(Conductive pathology typically affects lower frequencies and originates in the outer or middle ear (fluid, wax, etc.))

Many people are able to get an improvement with hearing aids (which boost the output at specific frequencies according to the audio gram). But they don’t fully restore hearing when worn- they can help a lot . And they keep the audio stimulation coming in so the brain doesn’t loose it’s auditory processing. The Hearing Aid Dispenser should be able to show and explain the audio results and give you a copy for your records (and your DH can compare it to Speech Banana.)

*We have a family member with a major SNHL due to age. If I suspect he didn’t understand a word, I rephrase it using other words, especially ones that are in the lower frequency range. It helps that he’s well versed in physics so the Speech Banana made sense to him. 

Now returning to our regularly scheduled program!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Sensory Neural Hearing Loss (SNHL) is a common occurrence as we mature and comes on slowly. Oftentimes one starts to loose clarity in the higher frequencies (4000, 6000 Hz) which distorts or removes the consonants (S,T, Sh, F, etc.) so one still “hears”, but it sounds like others are mumbling. The person might not even notice as it can happen so slowly, and the brain fills in words. Sometimes they are the wrong words, and you end up having 2 totally separate conversations. (Hint: if a reply seems inappropriate, a word may have been misunderstood and the subject has changed.)

Thank you for explaining this. This is exactly what talking with my mother is like, two different conversations. Unfortunately I have a high pitched voice and have a hard time changing my tone to “re-say” things to her.  It’s even more difficult over the phone. I finally convinced her to get her hearing aides checked and a new hearing test but the results were disappointing. Nothing else can be done except a cochlear implant and she is totally against that at her age (91). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Unfortunately I have a high pitched voice and have a hard time changing my tone to “re-say” things to her.  It’s even more difficult over the phone. I finally convinced her to get her hearing aides checked and a new hearing test but the results were disappointing.  

We have more success with FaceTime because he can see my lips (even though the speakers  in our iPads tend to amplify the higher frequencies.) We have set up his iPad to Bluetooth directly to his hearing aide, so that overcomes a lot of that problem. (Of course when it rings, he doesn’t know where it is because directionality is lost with hearing aids.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1