New pricing for singles......this can’t be right, can it?

WestLakeGirl

We all know that when it comes to dealing with single passengers Celebrity sometimes makes mistakes in wording. Recently there was a double points promotion and when it was first announced it looks like it didn’t apply to people selling in single cabins, like on edge and Apex, but then later it turned out it applied to all singles occupying any cabin.

now on Celebrity, singles occupying a double room pay double, minus the extra taxes and fees.

so, say two people’s fare is $ 2000 plus $100 per person in taxes, the two pay $2200.  The single would pay $2100.

have I got that right so far?

so here is the new pricing plan, where all guests get bevvies, grats and wifi.

say two people pay $3000 plus $200 In taxes, and get two bevvies, grats and wifi.  The single pays $3100 AND IS PAYING FOR TWO BEVERAGE PACKAGES, TWO GRATUITIES AND TWO WIFI PACKAGES.  

AM I SEEING IT RIGHT THAT THERE IS NO REFUND TO THE SINGLE FOR THE SECOND SET OF PERKS.????

is that how it is working?????

39FB2FD4-5A85-4377-B447-47C9060B3A98.jpeg

7 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

We all know that when it comes to dealing with single passengers Celebrity sometimes makes mistakes in wording. Recently there was a double points promotion and when it was first announced it looks like it didn’t apply to people selling in single cabins, like on edge and Apex, but then later it turned out it applied to all singles occupying any cabin.

now on Celebrity, singles occupying a double room pay double, minus the extra taxes and fees.

so, say two people’s fare is $ 2000 plus $100 per person in taxes, the two pay $2200.  The single would pay $2100.

have I got that right so far?

so here is the new pricing plan, where all guests get bevvies, grats and wifi.

say two people pay $3000 plus $200 In taxes, and get two bevvies, grats and wifi.  The single pays $3100 AND IS PAYING FOR TWO BEVERAGE PACKAGES, TWO GRATUITIES AND TWO WIFI PACKAGES.  

AM I SEEING IT RIGHT THAT THERE IS NO REFUND TO THE SINGLE FOR THE SECOND SET OF PERKS.????

is that how it is working?????

39FB2FD4-5A85-4377-B447-47C9060B3A98.jpeg

You are seeing it right.

We have a single friend who we cruise with occasionally.  The last few times we have been in a Suite she paid the exact same cruise fare as we did less port fees & taxes.   It is the same when she sails with her friends who  cruise Regent.

The only exception will be if booking a solo category stateroom (currently only on EDGE class vessels in category ES - Edge Single Stateroom with Infinite Verandah).  There is technically no "single supplement" on those rooms as they are theoretically priced specifically for solos (those they usually aren't a deal by any means!).  If you book one of those and wish to buy into the Elevate or Indulge packages you only pay the $30/$60/day upcharge one time.

Booking any other category will be charged at 200% for base "Always Included" rate and Elevate or Indulge will be added at double occupancy amount for the cabin ($60/$120/day).

I personally feel the two "enhanced" pricing tiers have little to no value for ANY consumer, let alone a solo.

With rare exception the cruise lines have been making it more and more clear they don't want solos occupying a double/triple/quad occupancy cabin (they want every berth filled that they can to maximize revenue) and if a solo books one they are going to make you pay dearly for the "privilege" of doing so.  Is it right, is it fair?????  In the consumers eyes no, but in the accountants eyes yes.

I comprehend why the room fare is double.....they are making up for lost revenue because singles don’t book things like couples massages and family photo packages.  We don’t like it but have learned to accept it.  But this is just bizarre......Charging singles for Two beverage packages and two sets of gratuities and two wifi packages is unheard of.  And unbelievable.  

we have never felt the need to write to the president of the company but are composing the letter now......

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I comprehend why the room fare is double.....they are making up for lost revenue because singles don’t book things like couples massages and family photo packages.  We don’t like it but have learned to accept it.  But this is just bizarre......Charging singles for Two beverage packages and two sets of gratuities and two wifi packages is unheard of.  And unbelievable.  

we have never felt the need to write to the president of the company but are composing the letter now......

Do you think that there might be a few tweaks before the 17th?  Hopefully someone at Celebrity reads Cruise Critic.

The "enhanced" Captain's Club should also be interesting.

28 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Unheard of, unbelievable, and unethical. 

• Like 2

I am beginning to realize that Celebrity doesn’t give darn about solos and passengers with Elite and above status. Many of younger Gen X crowd haven’t reached that level, want an all inclusive, and don’t care about CC amenities. The older, long time Celebrity loyalists are easily dismissed in favor of the younger, affluent new cruiser. Those who care about the CC amenities of fresh juice, fancy coffee, and Elite Happy Hour are no longer the target audience. Those who will pay big $$ for those amenities are the new Celebrity market.

If you book as a solo on HAL under their current Have it All promo (which includes Signature Beverage Package, tips and 2nts specialty dining) you pay 200% of the base fare + tax for 1 guest.  So no different that what Celebrity is doing here.  HAL however has a room only fare option without perks, which can and does make a difference when booking as a solo.

What's galling is that if a customer wants the Elevate or Indulge packages they are charging double.  Yes they are doubling the OBC, but the rest (drink package and/or wifi upgrades) have no residual value.  That said neither of these packages has much value even at double occupancy, and in some cases will cost the consumer more than booking the base fare and paying out of pocket for the upgrade inclusions.

Princess got this whole concept right - base room only rate available for ALL bookings (Saver Fare) or you can book with the Princess Plus Package (Premiere Beverage Package, wifi and tips) at a standard $40pp/day above the saver rate.  Two fare buckets, done & dusted.  If booking solo you pay 200% + tax based on Saver Fare and if you want the Princess Plus they charge you$40/day x1 person.  If booking a Triple or Quad and only guests 1&2 want the Princess Plus package you can call and have guests 3&4 opted out.  Clean, simple, straightforward and fair.

Celebrity are making a money grab guided by their RCG overlords, who are the Kings of Dynamic (rip off) pricing.  There is a reason my business has been going to Princess and HAL as much as possible in the last few years - rather than to Royal or Celebrity -  both as an agent and consumer

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Straughn said:

I am beginning to realize that Celebrity doesn’t give darn about solos and passengers with Elite and above status. Many of younger Gen X crowd haven’t reached that level, want an all inclusive, and don’t care about CC amenities. The older, long time Celebrity loyalists are easily dismissed in favor of the younger, affluent new cruiser. Those who care about the CC amenities of fresh juice, fancy coffee, and Elite Happy Hour are no longer the target audience. Those who will pay big $$ for those amenities are the new Celebrity market.

I don't agree, though I understand the long time C customers frustration.  I feel they have done studies, and both younger and older included, seems that most (not all) want more of an AI experience, had they not, C would not be making this change.  I travel both solo and as a couple.  When I travel solo, I know I am paying for two, it is my decision to do so.  They do though, obviously, want the extra revenue as indicated in the new package options.  We do have the choice to accept or decline and move to another line if not acceptable.  

Just now, Alakegirl said:

Wanting all-inclusive is one thing but I am certain that no single person wants to pay for two beverage packages when sailing alone 

Agreed!  As I said in an earlier post, C should come up with a "menu" of options for this demographic, i.e. solo cruisers, of which I am frequently one of.  That being said, I do make the choice of booking on C knowing this policy in advance.

I travel as part of a head-over-heels in love couple. I'm also acutely aware that my husband may, within a very few years, soon be a solo traveler. While I understand that it may be necessary for him  to pay double for his cabin, I think it is ridiculous that he would be charged for a second beverage or internet package for someone who is literally ashes.

It's fine for Celebrity, or any other line to charge for the unused berth, but it is unconscionalbe for any line to charge for un-drunk drinks or unused web access.

If Celebrity's goal is to turn away solo travelers and/or humans with a conscience, they are doing a fine job.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Agree.  Right or wrong it has been this way on Celebrity and a number of other lines including the “high end” lines for a long time.  

Even many All Inclusive resorts do the same sadly. There is little “love” for solo travelers amongst the bean-counters at most leisure travel companies unfortunately. They are chasing maximum profit and every butt not in a bed/berth is seen as lost revenue. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Unheard of, unbelievable, and unethical. 

8 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

But even a GenX single who wants to cruise would have to see how wrong this is, wouldn’t you think?

At least this GenX person sees it.

I agree, it is IMHO highly unethical.

The way Celebrity announces this and describes it  eg in its FAQ adds insult to injury: The wording and  tone directly tells: We do not want you. We charge double and try everything to make you go away.

Unless you are stupid of course, what we belive anyway. ("Single guests will be charged double the per day amount ... the Beverage and Wi-Fi packages will not be doubled as these amenities are provided per person. ..." Any logic there? When they are provided per person than charge per person! ).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

Agree.  Right or wrong it has been this way on Celebrity and a number of other lines including the “high end” lines for a long time.  

Actually, some of the higher end lines fairly regularly charge less than a 100% solo supplement. It's one of those odd things. I have a hard time convincing some that as a solo I can sail on the likes of Crystal for less than a Celebrity or HAL cruise would cost me. They often offer cruises at 150% rather than the 200% of mass market ships, and since they are more inclusive my total costs are less. Occasionally I have even found 130%...  I have also seen similar deals on Seabourn, Silversea, even Azamara. Oceania -- virtually never.

Because the fares are higher to begin with, I suspect that their model does not depend on recouping costs on board to the extent of the mass market lines whose model is apparently to get folks on board with a low initial fare and then upcharge, upcharge, upcharge...

6 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Even many All Inclusive resorts do the same sadly. There is little “love” for solo travelers amongst the bean-counters at most leisure travel companies unfortunately. They are chasing maximum profit and every butt not in a bed/berth is seen as lost revenue. 

I've never priced AIs as that kind of vacation doesn't appeal. But most European-style hotels (not US chains) offer solo rooms at a reasonable price -- of course being Europe, the rooms tend to be small. But some also offer what they call a double room at single pricing -- rather like on a cruise you might pay 150 to 175% supplement but get the larger, double room.

If Celebrity sticks to its current scheme, I will (with regrets) cross them off the list of lines I consider in future as a solo...  There ARE other options.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

It occurs to me that Celebrity could have softened the blow by giving the singles the premium drink package, and the upgraded Wi-Fi, as their included perks......

Or to at least offer "perks menu", say 2 perks are included in the price and here are the 4 to select from.  If solo, it should def not be double.

• Like 1