Just received this message from Celebrity. Does it imply Infinity might be going bye bye?

Stockjock

Got this for a Dec 2021 sailing.  Cruise is switched from Infinity to Summit, so I wondered if one might infer that perhaps Infinity is going bye bye?  Also, would you consider Summit to be superior or inferior to Infinity?

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest, 

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021/22 cruise vacation.  As the world continues to work towards a new normal, our primary goal continues to be a healthy return to service for our guests, crew and the communities we visit.  While working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other local health and government authorities towards this shared goal, we are evaluating all current itineraries to ensure we offer our guests the best possible vacation experience in each destination.  This means some of our sailings will need to be modified.   

Specific to your future Celebrity Infinity® sailing, these deployment adjustments will require a change of ship for your Caribbean voyage to the fully revolutionized Celebrity Summit®.  We are pleased to advise your departure date, itinerary and stateroom category will remain exactly the same.  No action needs to be taken on your part as our Customer Service Teams are working to automatically move your reservation to the Celebrity Summit.  Once the process is complete you will receive a refreshed booking invoice via email with your new stateroom number.  We anticipate it will take us a few weeks to complete all the transactions.  Feel free to log-in to your My Celebrity account within the coming weeks and check out everything the Celebrity Summit has to offer as well as your new stateroom number.   

If you pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, through Celebrity Cruises, these will also automatically be moved over to the Celebrity Summit.  Guests with independent shore excursion arrangements should contact their tour operators as soon as possible to advise them of this change.   

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through these unique circumstances.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruise vacation.  

Sincerely,  
Celebrity Cruises 

• Thanks 1

Just got the same letter regarding our Summit cruise scheduled for Jan 2022 from San Juan.

Went to check on other options and the same cruise is still showing.  I have no idea how to try to find an alternate if the one that is "cancelled" is still showing avilible.

1 minute ago, K&RCurt said:

Just got the same letter regarding our Summit cruise scheduled for Jan 2022 from San Juan.

Went to check on other options and the same cruise is still showing.  I have no idea how to try to find an alternate if the one that is "cancelled" is still showing avilible.

Sounds like there are some major changes in ships and/or schedules that aren't yet fully reflected on their website.

Just now, Stockjock said:

Sounds like there are some major changes in ships and/or schedules that aren't yet fully reflected on their website.

It seems in some cases the new ship/itinerary is reflected on the website but tge old has not yet been removed.

29 minutes ago, macaroni said:

I got an email from Celebrity about my Edge 2022 cruise....changing ....I can take the silhouette for a 10 or 11 night...says nothing about what the Edge is doing?? Not happy!

No, they are not changing, they are cancelling Edge cruises and merely suggesting that ppl would book same date/almost same itinerary on Silhouette for 50% (in our case) higher price instead of changing and honoring booked reservations like for Infinity->Summit.

FWIW, just called Celebrity and confirmed that this is not a cancellation, just a change of ships.  I was told that all pricing, amenities, category booked and such will remain the same.

What I wasn't sure about was the fact that Celebrity's website shows Summit (replacement ship) leaving on the same date, only with a slightly longer and, imo, better itinerary.  The e-mail said the itinerary was the same.  Celebrity said they assume the current itinerary will be changed to mirror what I booked, but the situation should be clear in the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1

All these changes that are including Infinity as part of the redeployment are actually a relief to me. I was worried they might sell the ship soon and would cancel my May cruise in Europe. That cruise of course may still not happen but it seems clear Infinity is sticking around in the fleet.

Infinity is replacing Silhouette in South America, Silhouette is replacing Edge, Summit is replacing Infinity out of Miami. No cruises out of PR for the foreseeable future. 
There is a complicated chart available to untangle some of the changes but not all.

Hal

Interesting.  We got the 'same' email about our Boston to Port Everglades repo on the Summit for Oct 2021.   Celebrity shows ZERO Summit cruises after 04-Oct-2021, so my speculation was that the Summit was going away, but perhaps it's the Infinity.

22 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Infinity is replacing Silhouette in South America, Silhouette is replacing Edge, Summit is replacing Infinity out of Miami. No cruises out of PR for the foreseeable future. 
There is a complicated chart available to untangle some of the changes but not all.

Hal

That makes no sense with my Summit repo from Boston to Port Everglades being cancelled.   Do you have a link to the chart?

Edited by D C

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

I wonder if they had to cancel that Summit repo to align with dates for existing Infinity cruises for which the Summit will now sail.

But it still needs to reposition.  "Hey, we're moving the date of your cruise, y'all ok with that?" would be more welcome than a cancellation

I just got an email from vacations to go, that my Jan 2022  Summit cruise from San Juan which I shifted from Jan 21, is cancelled. It says that I can pick a differant cruise between Oct 21 to April 22.  I'm confused ??? Isn't my current booking between those dates? I put a call into the travel agent.

3 minutes ago, knicola11 said:

I just got an email from vacations to go, that my Jan 2022  Summit cruise from San Juan which I shifted from Jan 21, is cancelled. It says that I can pick a differant cruise between Oct 21 to April 22.  I'm confused ??? Isn't my current booking between those dates? I put a call into the travel agent.

Your current (cancelled) booking is in those dates, but the Summit apparently isn't going to San Juan, so your cruise can't happen.  

So our transatlantic on Infinity in April 2020 has not been changed - yet.  Does anybody know the status of this sailing?  I understand the October Infinity sailing TA westbound is cancelled.  Looks like Infinity is hanging around Europe for a while.  I'm losing hope.

3 hours ago, HS2BS said:

Hal

Infinity used to be the SA ship..we just missed Silhouette when she  started doing that itin.  Glad she will be back .

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Infinity used to be the SA ship..we just missed Silhouette when she  started doing that itin.  Glad she will be back .

Infinity will likely be back in SA without the scheduled Revolution remake, or so it seems. I view that as a bad thing.

• Like 1

We were booked a 2/1/22 14 day Silhouette SA Cruise. Option to change to a 12 day Infinity but only Dec/Jan date is 22/12/21 thus away from aged parent for Xmas (and labrador) so not feasible The two lost days seem to be harbour days! We had a great rate on the Silhouette and had already been changed twice.

FWIW, I just received my new booking info for the switch from Infinity to Summit.  They kept me in the exact same cabin (7070).  

The only thing that's changed, other than the ship, is that they added 1 night to the itinerary, so instead of Miami to Key West to Bahamas (4 nights), it's now 5 nights starting in Miami to Key West, a full day in Cozumel and back to Miami.

Pricing shows as the same, although my amenities aren't shown (drink package, wi-fi, $350 credit).  I assume that's normal?

Overall though, I think the change worked out fine.  I just hope it's safe to sail by late 2021!