If Captain's Club changes come to Crown & Anchor . . .

compman9

12 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I, personally, when we are in a town during the lunchtime find a nice local restaurant.  A lot of the people who ate on the ship, hardly ever got off the ship.  The food on the ship is very good, but not as interesting as partaking the local flavors.  IMHO

My thoughts as well. Why not try the local food. Only reason I can think of one wanting to come back to the ship is no charge for the lunch. 

Thanks

M8

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

One excursion (sometimes 2) in each port is included.  The food is excellent and both food and wine mirror the locality you are visiting.  In addition, there will be nightly entertainment or cultural presentations.  It is a different experience from traditional cruising and, bottom line, we love both.

Me too.  Much more expensive...but oh so worth it.  Still some of the fondest cruise memories we have ever experienced.  Very much looking forward to our 23 day Sojourn on Viking in 2023.  🙂 

Edited by island lady

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My thoughts as well. Why not try the local food. Only reason I can think of one wanting to come back to the ship is no charge for the lunch. 

Thanks

M8

The food prepared on the ship IS local food.  The chef and his team shop locally at fresh markets in each port.  The menu for the day is dependent on what they find.  They prepare the local dish of the area we are in and explain the history of the dishes.  On some smaller barge canal boats, If you choose to, you are even invited to follow the chef around to the fresh markets.  My kind of thing. 😉 

If you are worried about the cost for lunch...you wouldn't have booked a river cruise in the first place.  Like worrying about the price of fuel for your Ferrari.  

River cruising cannot be compared to ocean ship cruising...it's apples and oranges.  Totally different world.  And if you have never tried it......    

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, island lady said:

Me too.  Much more expensive...but oh so worth it.  Still some of the fondest cruise memories we have ever experienced.  Very much looking forward to our 23 day Sojourn on Viking in 2023.  🙂 

We are looking forward to our 7 night to Bordeaux next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

If you are worried about the cost for lunch...you wouldn't have booked a river cruise in the first place. 

Oh I agree. Our failed River Cruise for COVID19 was nearly 4x what we pay for a 7 night Royal Cruise. 

We just enjoy eating out even if it’s just good bread and wine/beer and enjoy our surroundings. 

M8

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Oh I agree. Our failed River Cruise for COVID19 was nearly 4x what we pay for a 7 night Royal Cruise. 

We just enjoy eating out even if it’s just good bread and wine/beer and enjoy our surroundings. 

M8

So do we...and always get off the ship in every port...striking out mostly on our own to find an interesting local's favorite restaurant.  It's a big part of the exploration. 

But...once again that being said...it's a totally different world on a river cruise.  

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, ILCTCRUISER said:

Funny X uses the term “Loyalty Program”.  I was always believed that loyalty was a two way street.  I feel so naive to learn in the modern corporate world, it’s now “heads I win, tails you lose”.  Yes, we have been foolishly loyal, but as they say, live and learn.  Now that E+ perks are all but worthless, there is no loss in sailing other cruise lines, and that’s a good thing.

Edited by Bobsgonecoastal
Missing quote
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

So do we...and always get off the ship in every port...striking out mostly on our own to find an interesting local's favorite restaurant.  It's a big part of the exploration. 

But...once again that being said...it's a totally different world on a river cruise.  

Great. Now I've got the song Old Man River stuck in my head. 😏Your river cruise made me think of Tom Sawyer.  Flashback, I played Huckleberry Finn in our 4th grade Tom Sawyer play. 

I enjoyed hearing about river cruising, maybe one day, but back on topic...The loyalty perks will change and continue to change as it behooves RCCLs bottom line.  When they remove perks it's because it costs too much for the return they are getting.  Pre- covid they were phasing out the lounges and adding the drinks to your card.  I told my husband they are slowly phasing out the Diamond lounges and giving us time to adjust.  Covid has put the nail in the coffin on the lounges because they don want people to gather.It gives a perfect excuse so my prediction is the Diamond lounges will go the way of the Dodo bird. Covid will be the first excuse, but once it goes , I don't think it will return.

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Great. Now I've got the song Old Man River stuck in my head. 😏Your river cruise made me think of Tom Sawyer.  Flashback, I played Huckleberry Finn in our 4th grade Tom Sawyer play. 

I bet you were a cute little Huck Finn!  😉   At first we actually booked the Mississippi Viking river cruise for next year, brand new Viking river cruiser river boat built to do that route...but could only get July for whole river cruise.  Ugg...decided too hot going through Midwest that time of the year.  Switched it to the Euro cruise in 2023. 

Last year had booked this coming August Viking Euro river cruise, but cancelled that when connecting Jewel Baltic and British Isles (S2S) were cancelled by Royal.  

I did think about the "Tom Sawyer" adventure when we temporarily booked the Mississippi!  Still want to do that at some point...just not in the mid summer.  

Of course down here in the deep south we also have the "Old Folks at Home" song about the local Suwannee river....which is Florida's state song. 😉 Actual spelling varies.  

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

I bet you were a cute little Huck Finn!  😉   At first we actually booked the Mississippi Viking river cruise for next year, brand new Viking river cruiser river boat built to do that route...but could only get July for whole river cruise.  Ugg...decided too hot going through Midwest that time of the year.  Switched it to the Euro cruise in 2023. 

Last year had booked this coming August Viking Euro river cruise, but cancelled that when connecting Jewel Baltic and British Isles (S2S) were cancelled by Royal.  

I did think about the "Tom Sawyer" adventure when we temporarily booked the Mississippi!  Still want to do that at some point...just not in the mid summer.  

Ooops!  I obviously know zip about river cruises. 😳 Thanks for keeping me on course. Oh wait, to stay on course (topic), does Viking have a tier level program. 😉

Pete Seeger, "Where Have All The Flowers Gone..." 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Ooops!  I obviously know zip about river cruises. 😳 Thanks for keeping me on course. Oh wait, to stay on course (topic), does Viking have a tier level program. 😉

Not that I know of...river ships are more "all inclusive". Smaller passenger load, wine with dinner (and some with lunch), entertainment, shore excursions, etc.  all included.  No specialty dining.  All one seating.  Only real difference is the cabin you book, for the extra space, and some additional perks. 

No Captain's club...no SL, no CL, no DL.   Nothing to have taken away from you, or changes to worry about.  

OK...we are back on topic.  😉 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, island lady said:

Not that I know of...river ships are more "all inclusive". Smaller passenger load, wine with dinner (and some with lunch), entertainment, shore excursions, etc.  all included.  No specialty dining.  All one seating.  Only real difference is the cabin you book, for the extra space, and some additional perks. 

No Captain's club...no SL, no CL, no DL.   Nothing to have taken away from you, or changes to worry about.  

OK...we are back on topic.  😉 

Thanks for sharing. I learn something new everyday.

Agree. It does suck when you have something and then it is eroded or completely taken away.  And I know (even though I can't really speak for you) not having the tier level program and associated perks/benefits won't take away or diminish your cruise experience and enjoyment. 🍷 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks for sharing. I learn something new everyday.

Agree. It does suck when you have something and then it is eroded or completely taken away.  And I know (even though I can't really speak for you) not having the tier level program and associated perks/benefits won't take away or diminish your cruise experience and enjoyment. 🍷 

Yes, you can speak for me...like minds you know.  😉  

But the big picture for large capacity cruise ships is keeping you coming back.  Loyalty programs are designed to do that, IMHO...so it would not be in RCI or Celebrity's favor to cut those perks out.  Especially now.  The C&A program has been a big hit.  Some tend to get pissy about it...but mostly those that earn the perks...enjoy them, while we still have them.   If they go away...no real reason to stay loyal I guess.  

Agree on the other point.....even without the lounges...we would still enjoy ourselves.  We have been simply having our wine on our balcony more and more lately...leaving the crowds and the politics of the lounges to the masses.  🤭  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yep, we're along for the ride and enjoyment. We too enjoy the perks/benefits of Celebrity's Captains Club, RCs C&A and even Princess Captains Circle. But we also don't take full advantage of all the perks/benefits offered by the different cruise lines either. We pick and choose what we like. I know we'll adjust (if need be) when cruising ever resumes and no matter the cruise line we are cruising with.😍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobsgonecoastal said:

Funny X uses the term “Loyalty Program”.  I was always believed that loyalty was a two way street.  I feel so naive to learn in the modern corporate world, it’s now “heads I win, tails you lose”.  Yes, we have been foolishly loyal, but as they say, live and learn.  Now that E+ perks are all but worthless, there is no loss in sailing other cruise lines, and that’s a good thing.

You speak to a loyalty in the future tense, I'm curious as to what you believe that X was not loyal to you on your cruises with them (past tense). Did they not deliver as promised? If so where did they fail? If they delivered, then your loyalty to one another has been fulfilled. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

...Young girls have picked them, everyone.... when will they ever learn?

...Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time passing. Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time ago. Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone to graveyards every one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

You speak to a loyalty in the future tense, I'm curious as to what you believe that X was not loyal to you on your cruises with them (past tense). Did they not deliver as promised? If so where did they fail? If they deleivered, then your loyalty to one another has been fulfilled. 

Point well made!

My DH & I were both road warriors until retirement. At one point he was elite on five airlines, me on two, AA is the last one standing, he did lifetime two million on just that one airline, but that was then, now RWs do that in a year! They took pretty good care of us then, now it’s somebody else’s turn.

The world changes ... it was pretty great to have the Captain pose with us, hand me roses, lead the pax in a group champagne toast, and always a little gift from a senior officer we had watched come up through the ranks. Those days, along with flambé table side, and flaming Baked Alaska, are long gone. We’ll see what comes next, there are some very smart folks in the biz.

Edited by docruth
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, twonpcb said:

Did I miss something on this thread?  Has RCI reduced the benefits to its loyalty program?

No.  For some reason folks seem to delight in predicting cuts to the loyalty program.  Of course, their predictions of reductions never involves their own level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1